Re: Clearing typed urls - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Clearing typed urls - Mozilla ; On Dec 20, 11:49*pm, Mike wrote: > How can I clear the list of typed urls? > > Tools, Options, Privacy, Clear Now, will clear the history, but not the > list of typed Urls. > > Thanks. You are ...

  1. Re: Clearing typed urls

    On Dec 20, 11:49*pm, Mike wrote:
    > How can I clear the list of typed urls?
    >
    > Tools, Options, Privacy, Clear Now, will clear the history, but not the
    > list of typed Urls.
    >
    > Thanks.

    You are quite possibly confusing typed URLs with your bookmarks that
    FF3 matches when you start typing something. Do you see a yellow star
    for those URLs listed by FF after you clear them and still see them?
    If so you are looking at bookmarks, not typed URLs.

    JB

  2. Re: Clearing typed urls

    On Dec 21, 2:34*am, Mike wrote:
    > Fox on the run wrote:
    >
    > > On Dec 20, 11:49 pm, Mike wrote:
    > >> How can I clear the list of typed urls?

    > >> Tools, Options, Privacy, Clear Now, will clear the history, but not the
    > >> list of typed Urls.

    > >> Thanks.

    > > You are quite possibly confusing typed URLs with your bookmarks that
    > > FF3 matches when you start typing something. *Do you see a yellow star
    > > for those URLs listed by FF after you clear them and still see them?
    > > If so you are looking at bookmarks, not typed URLs.

    > > JB

    > Thanks for clearing it up.

    You may find value in looking at the video at
    http://digg.com/software/What_s_new_..._out_this_demo
    about FF3 and the functionality of the enhanced address bar (known as
    awesome bar). David McRitchie originally posted this link in another
    thread in this newsgroup. I know FF3 quite well, but still found the
    video to be worth watching as the person does a very good job
    demonstrating the new features of FF3. It will clear up your
    confusion as to what was happening despite clearing typed URLs as well
    as possibly other confusions about FF3 and likely introduce you to
    other ways you can use FF3 to make it work better for you.

    JB

  3. Re: Clearing typed urls

    On Dec 21, 8:44*am, Fox on the run wrote:
    > You may find value in looking at the video athttp://digg.com/software/What_s_new_in_Firefox_3_Check_out_this_demo
    > about FF3 and the functionality of the enhanced address bar (known as
    > awesome bar). *David McRitchie originally posted this link in another
    > thread in this newsgroup. *I know FF3 quite well, but still found the
    > video to be worth watching as the person does a very good job
    > demonstrating the new features of FF3. *It will clear up your
    > confusion as to what was happening despite clearing typed URLs as well
    > as possibly other confusions about FF3 and likely introduce you to
    > other ways you can use FF3 to make it work better for you.

    I have watched the video and still am unable to get the address bar to
    behave the way I want. What I want the address bar to do is:

    1. Show me ONLY typed urls that I have entered manually, not show me
    bookmarked pages that I visit

    2. Show me that list in chronological order of past visiting

    3. Give me more than 12 at a time

    4. Take up only one line per url, not two.

    So far my experience with the "awesome bar" is less than awesome,
    unfortunately.

  4. Re: Clearing typed urls

    #1 was answered by hb.
    #3 can be changed by changing the value of the preference
    browser.urlbar.maxRichResults in about config from 12 to whatever you
    want. THIS WILL REQUIRE A FF RESTART in order to take effect.
    #4 Install the add-on at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7864
    for one line display and a few other behaviours you can roll back to
    FF 2.0 using this add-on.

    Please implement these changes to see if they provide you with the end
    user experience you seek. The three answers that I've provided you
    were previously answered in this newsgroup.

    JB

  5. Re: Clearing typed urls

    On Dec 21, 12:03*pm, hb wrote:
    > Enter "about:config" (no quotes) in the URL bar and search for
    > "browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped
    >
    > Double click it.

    I have done that (even though I had no idea what it would do) and I am
    still seeing bookmarked addresses in the dropdown list.

  6. Re: Clearing typed urls

    On Dec 21, 2:02*pm, Fox on the run wrote:
    > #1 was answered by hb.
    > #3 can be changed by changing the value of the preference
    > browser.urlbar.maxRichResults in about config from 12 to whatever you
    > want. *THIS WILL REQUIRE A FF RESTART in order to take effect.

    Thank you.

    > #4 Install the add-on athttps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7864
    > for one line display and a few other behaviours you can roll back to
    > FF 2.0 using this add-on.

    That is an experimental addon which requires a login of some sort to
    install and comes with warnings. I do not have a login and don't want
    to do an experiment so I won't do that. It is good to know, though,
    that there may be something coming that will address (pardon the pun)
    this behavior.

    > Please implement these changes to see if they provide you with the end
    > user experience you seek. *The three answers that I've provided you
    > were previously answered in this newsgroup.

    I have never seen mention of this last point previously.

  7. Re: Clearing typed urls

    On Dec 21, 2:45*pm, "Greg_B." wrote:
    > On Dec 21, 12:03*pm, hb wrote:
    >
    > > Enter "about:config" (no quotes) in the URL bar and search for
    > > "browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped

    > > Double click it.

    > I have done that (even though I had no idea what it would do) and I am
    > still seeing bookmarked addresses in the dropdown list.

    It is working. This threw me off as well at first. What is happening
    is it is truly only matching typed URLs. When you clear your history
    (privacy settings) you clear your navigation history. But your
    bookmarks of course remain in that common database file. Well some of
    those bookmarks were typed at some point in time thus are considered a
    "typed" URL even though they exist in the bookmarks and have not been
    typed during the current session (so not in the browser's history).
    Once a bookmark is typed, it retains that "typed URL" status even when
    clearing privacy settings.

    Unfortunately short of going into the sqlite database and issuing a
    sqlite statement to change them all back to a status of not typed,
    this apparently unexpected behaviour will persist. Meanwhile the
    behaviour is actually working as it was programmed to work. Which
    conflicts with how intuitively one would expect it to work. This is
    because bookmarks have been migrated into a common database along with
    browser history. This provides an end user experience that many
    appreciate once they get the hang of it. But it does not provide the
    end user experience people like yourself seek.

    JB

  8. Re: Clearing typed urls

    On Dec 21, 4:22*pm, Fox on the run wrote:
    > It is working. *This threw me off as well at first. *What is happening
    > is it is truly only matching typed URLs. *When you clear your history
    > (privacy settings) you clear your navigation history. *But your
    > bookmarks of course remain in that common database file. *Well some of
    > those bookmarks were typed at some point in time thus are considered a
    > "typed" URL even though they exist in the bookmarks and have not been
    > typed during the current session (so not in the browser's history).
    > Once a bookmark is typed, it retains that "typed URL" status even when
    > clearing privacy settings.

    Ah, that would make sense. Thanks for the tip.

  9. Re: Clearing typed urls

    On Dec 21, 3:46*pm, "Greg_B." wrote:
    > On Dec 21, 4:22*pm, Fox on the run wrote:
    >
    > > It is working. *This threw me off as well at first. *What is happening
    > > is it is truly only matching typed URLs. *When you clear your history
    > > (privacy settings) you clear your navigation history. *But your
    > > bookmarks of course remain in that common database file. *Well some of
    > > those bookmarks were typed at some point in time thus are considered a
    > > "typed" URL even though they exist in the bookmarks and have not been
    > > typed during the current session (so not in the browser's history).
    > > Once a bookmark is typed, it retains that "typed URL" status even when
    > > clearing privacy settings.

    > Ah, that would make sense. Thanks for the tip.

    You're welcome. I didn't realize this either until you asked the
    question and I had to dig for an answer. I've spent many hours over
    the past many months in sqlite manager looking at the sqlite files so
    once I caught on to what was likely happening I was able to easily
    confirm that indeed that was exactly what was happening.

    JB

  10. Re: Clearing typed urls

    On Dec 21, 5:02*pm, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > >> 2. Show me that list in chronological order of past visiting

    > I believe this *was answered before, *or you sure resemble
    > another thread. *
    >
    > Ctrl+H *(History), * view on the history sidebar *"last visited"

    No David, that isn't the same thing at all. It is History, as the name
    suggests, so it shows all activity: bookmarks visited, visited links
    contained within other websites, and URLs manually entered in the
    address bar. All I want to see is the latter.

    > I would *suggest you not *make changes to the the way it works
    > until you've used it for three weeks. *Hope you show 90-120 days
    > of history or you will not be making full usage.

    I am getting close to a couple of months of usage now.

+ Reply to Thread