Re: bookmarks - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: bookmarks - Mozilla ; On Nov 27, 12:33*pm, sherry wrote: > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote: > > sherry wrote: > >> I'll never get used to these satanic bookmarks. too bad someone could > >> not program them like they used to be in ...

  1. Re: bookmarks

    On Nov 27, 12:33*pm, sherry wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > > sherry wrote:
    > >> I'll never get used to these satanic bookmarks. too bad someone could
    > >> not program them like they used to be in netscape.

    > > Simply Bookmark this Page Cntrl D *(same as it was in Netscape)

    > > Then when you want to go back there, select if from the menu (same as it
    > > was in Netscape)

    > > So what's so difficult to get used to?

    > All I want is a folder that is named sherry's bookmarks. nothing else
    > showing. then when I bookmark a page it goes into a folder I named
    > under my bookmark folders. simple.

    That might have worked when there were only a few dozen sites one
    might have bookmarked. But these days it is not unheard of for people
    to have a few hundred bookmarks or more. Using sub-folders is a
    logical way to organize them. But you don't have to do that. You can
    still hit Ctrl-D as was mentioned and accept the default - Bookmark
    Folder. Thus all your bookmarks will be listed under the main
    bookmarks section. There are much more efficient ways to leverage
    bookmarks. However you are still able to use it in its most basic
    form. In that sense it can still works like it always has. Is there
    something we are missing in how you want your bookmarks to work?
    Doesn't Ctrl-D and accepting the default "Bookmark Menu" yield the
    results you desire?

    JB

  2. Re: bookmarks

    On Nov 27, 8:36*pm, sherry wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > > Fox on the run wrote:
    > >> That might have worked when there were only a few dozen sites one
    > >> might have bookmarked. *But these days it is not unheard of for people
    > >> to have a few hundred bookmarks or more. *Using sub-folders is a
    > >> logical way to organize them. *But you don't have to do that. *Youcan
    > >> still hit Ctrl-D as was mentioned and accept the default - Bookmark
    > >> Folder. *Thus all your bookmarks will be listed under the main
    > >> bookmarks section. * There are much more efficient ways to leverage
    > >> bookmarks. *However you are still able to use it in its most basic
    > >> form. *In that sense it can still works like it always has. *Is there
    > >> something we are missing in how you want your bookmarks to work?
    > >> Doesn't Ctrl-D and accepting the default "Bookmark Menu" yield the
    > >> results you desire?

    > >> JB

    > > Um, if you simply select the folder you want in the save Bookmark
    > > dialogue, then all future bookmarkings will go to that folder, there is
    > > no need to use the default bookmark folder if you don't want to.

    > > To do what Sherry wants, it's simple

    > > Bookmarks-->Organize Bookmarks

    > > Select Bookmarks Menu
    > > Select 'New Folder' from the menu button (2nd from the left) on the window
    > > name the folder "Sherry's Bookmarks"

    > > That folder will now appear in the Bookmark Menu

    > > You can move existing bookmarks into it if you wish

    > > Now, select a site to bookmark
    > > In the new bookmark dialogue select the new folder "Sherry's Bookmarks"
    > > using the downward pointing triangle beside the folder entry
    > > select the folder you want and then select the upward pointing triangle
    > > beside it (this moves "Sherry's Bookmarks" into the default postion)

    > > Now select another site to Bookmark.. it will automatically have
    > > "Sherry's Bookmarks" pre-selected as the destination.

    > > That, I think is what Sherry wants

    > when I use the bookmark tab on tool bar I see:
    > bookmark this page, subscribe to this page, search for duplicates,
    > bookmark all tabs, organize bookmarks, bookmarks toolbar, recently
    > bookmarked and recent tags.
    > then I see my folder with my name where all my sub folders are located
    > inside. *I want just my folder with my name to show and be able to add
    > sub folders to my folder.

    It's possible that you could do that using styles but I'm not sure.
    It's not something that I use but I have seen posting by others about
    using styles to change the look/feel of the browser menus. Having
    said that, it's 4 options that appear above your bookmarks. It
    doesn't change how you can use your bookmarks. It simply provides
    other ways to manage them if you so desire (but you can choose to
    ignore).

    Nevertheless if it's something you would rather change, hopefully
    someone who is more familiar with using styles will respond with a tip
    on how to do that so that you can tweak FF 3 to provide you with the
    end user experience you desire.

    JB.

  3. Re: bookmarks

    On Nov 29, 11:55*am, sherry wrote:
    > Q wrote:
    > > In oidneuUo4qa2qzUnZ2dnUVZ_r6dnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    > > sherry wrote:

    > >> thank you but I have never been able to get css to do what I want.
    > >> I have tried to copy and paste to no avail. I do not know how it
    > >> works or where to put the lines. would love to see a website showing
    > >> step by step how to place the lines where they need to be.

    > > There's a Stylish guide, though rather short, at
    > > .

    > ok here is what I want: when I click on the bookmark tab on toolbar
    > all I want to see is bookmark this page, organize bookmarks and my
    > main folder. nothing else.

    The only two other ones I see beyond that on a standard FF3 install is
    subscribe to this page and bookmark all tabs. I can appreciate that
    we all have our preferences on how we want things to look/behave. But
    the two extra options atop the menu is not a significant change from
    how things were before. Just two new options. Beyond that everything
    can still function as it use to function for you. Seems like a lot of
    effort will be required (learning CSS & how to use stylish add-on) for
    a tweak that will have minimal impact on user experience and gain
    minimal real estate space on your screen. To each his (or her) own.
    If it's that important to you then you'll dig deeper to figure it
    out. Otherwise you'll likely learn to live with it (of course
    changing browsers is always an option but I don't get the impression
    it's that much of a bother to you that you'd go to that length).

+ Reply to Thread