Re: Lost google.co.uk search - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Lost google.co.uk search - Mozilla ; On Nov 26, 7:32*am, al@invalid wrote: > FF 2.0.0.18 - the search box Google always used to bring up > google.co.uk which then allowed me to do a UK search only. > > Now it goes to google.com (I'm not ...

  1. Re: Lost google.co.uk search

    On Nov 26, 7:32*am, al@invalid wrote:
    > FF 2.0.0.18 - the search box Google always used to bring up
    > google.co.uk which then allowed me to do a UK search only.
    >
    > Now it goes to google.com (I'm not aware of doing anything to change
    > this)
    >
    > How do I get it back?
    >
    > IE7 is fine.
    >
    > Thanks

    Are you accessing it from the same ISP? Google looks at your IP and
    will serve the version of Google specific to the country of origin for
    your IP. If you are on the road it could explain why this is the
    case.

    JB

  2. Re: Lost google.co.uk search

    On Nov 27, 7:04*am, al@invalid wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 07:43:27 -0800 (PST), Fox on the run
    >

    > wrote:
    > >On Nov 26, 7:32=A0am, al@invalid wrote:
    > >> FF 2.0.0.18 - the search box Google always used to bring up
    > >> google.co.uk which then allowed me to do a UK search only.

    > >> Now it goes to google.com (I'm not aware of doing anything to change
    > >> this)

    > >> How do I get it back?

    > >> IE7 is fine.

    > >> Thanks

    > >Are you accessing it from the same ISP? *Google looks at your IP and
    > >will serve the version of Google specific to the country of origin for
    > >your IP. *If you are on the road it could explain why this is the
    > >case.

    > No, same ISP and not been on the road. *IE7 on same machine is fine.
    > FF and IE7 fine on another machine.

    On the off chance, the FF causing the problem isn't configured to
    connect via proxy by any chance or using an anonimizing add-on which
    could cause your IP to appear to be from another country?

    JB

  3. Re: Lost google.co.uk search

    On Nov 27, 7:29*am, Fox on the run wrote:
    > On Nov 27, 7:04*am, al@invalid wrote:
    >

    > > On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 07:43:27 -0800 (PST), Fox on the run

    > > wrote:

    > > >Are you accessing it from the same ISP? *Google looks at your IP and
    > > >will serve the version of Google specific to the country of origin for
    > > >your IP. *If you are on the road it could explain why this is the
    > > >case.

    > > No, same ISP and not been on the road. *IE7 on same machine is fine.
    > > FF and IE7 fine on another machine.

    > On the off chance, the FF causing the problem isn't configured to
    > connect via proxy by any chance or using an anonimizing add-on which
    > could cause your IP to appear to be from another country?
    >
    > JB

    Two other possibilities that come to mind.

    Did you go into preferences on Google from within that FF and change
    it to another language? If so clearing that cookie should correct
    that.

    If you are using the standard search box that comes with FF (in other
    words you didn't install an add-on instead) it uses .xml files
    associated to the various search engines. On a default XP install,
    those XML files are located under c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
    \searchplugins. You will find one called google.xml. Open that file
    in Wordpad and see if it is using google.com for its search or
    something else. I did a quick test and changed

    template="http://www.google.com/search"

    template="http://www.google.co.uk/search"

    I restarted Firefox and tested it and sure enough, it then used the UK
    version of Google.

    I changed it back and restarted Firefox and it went back to
    Google.com.

    JB

  4. Re: Lost google.co.uk search

    On Nov 27, 9:55*am, Fox on the run wrote:
    > On Nov 27, 7:29*am, Fox on the run wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 27, 7:04*am, al@invalid wrote:

    > > > No, same ISP and not been on the road. *IE7 on same machine is fine..
    > > > FF and IE7 fine on another machine.

    > > On the off chance, the FF causing the problem isn't configured to
    > > connect via proxy by any chance or using an anonimizing add-on which
    > > could cause your IP to appear to be from another country?

    > > JB

    > Two other possibilities that come to mind.
    >
    > Did you go into preferences on Google from within that FF and change
    > it to another language? *If so clearing that cookie should correct
    > that.
    >
    > If you are using the standard search box that comes with FF (in other
    > words you didn't install an add-on instead) it uses .xml files
    > associated to the various search engines. *On a default XP install,
    > those XML files are located under c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
    > \searchplugins. *You will find one called google.xml. *Open that file
    > in Wordpad and see if it is using google.com for its search or
    > something else. *I did a quick test and changed
    >
    > template="http://www.google.com/search"

    > template="http://www.google.co.uk/search"
    >
    > I restarted Firefox and tested it and sure enough, it then used the UK
    > version of Google.
    >
    > I changed it back and restarted Firefox and it went back to
    > Google.com.
    >
    > JB

    Further to my last message, there is a second part in google.xml you
    can change. The second last line has
    http://www.google.com/firefox

    If I change that to google.co.uk, then when running a search from
    Firefox's Google page it provides you with the option to search the
    web, or search pages from google.co.uk (two radio buttons below the
    search term box).

    JB

  5. Re: Lost google.co.uk search

    On Nov 28, 7:51*am, al@invalid wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 06:55:35 -0800 (PST), Fox on the run
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Two other possibilities that come to mind.

    > >Did you go into preferences on Google from within that FF and change
    > >it to another language? *If so clearing that cookie should correct
    > >that.

    > Yes that was it. *I was playing with safe search etc. *Just deleted
    > all cookies associated with google.com and google.co.uk and now get
    > what I used to. *Bit naughty of the cookies to behave that way though.
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks for the update. Glad it corrected the problem. In the process
    I learned about the xml search engine files and keywords for search
    engines...

    JB

  6. Re: Lost google.co.uk search

    On Nov 28, 4:58*pm, EE wrote:
    > al@invalid wrote:
    > > On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 06:55:35 -0800 (PST), Fox on the run
    > > wrote:

    > >> Two other possibilities that come to mind.

    > >> Did you go into preferences on Google from within that FF and change
    > >> it to another language? *If so clearing that cookie should correct
    > >> that.

    > > Yes that was it. *I was playing with safe search etc. *Just deleted
    > > all cookies associated with google.com and google.co.uk and now get
    > > what I used to. *Bit naughty of the cookies to behave that way though..

    > > Thanks

    > If you want to use google.co.uk, why not just bookmark that address and
    > use it from the bookmark?

    Defeats the purpose of having Google search bar at the top if you have
    to navigate via bookmarks to it. Plus that would not have solved his
    problem. It would simply have been a work around. Clearing the
    cookies solved his problem.

    JB

  7. Re: Lost google.co.uk search

    On Nov 30, 2:39*pm, EE wrote:
    > Fox on the run wrote:
    >

    > > Defeats the purpose of having Google search bar at the top if you have
    > > to navigate via bookmarks to it. *Plus that would not have solved his
    > > problem. *It would simply have been a work around. *Clearing the
    > > cookies solved his problem.

    > > JB

    > What navigation? *If the bookmark was on the bookmarks toolbar, he would
    > need only to click it.

    True, but you still have to navigate to that web site to run your
    query vs simply typing it in the search bar and running your query
    from it, thus navigating directly to the search hits. Does it make
    much of a difference at the end of the day? No. But it's the desired
    user experience sought by the OP that was previously working then
    stopped working that the OP was seeking to rectify. So although your
    suggestion was valid and would have ultimately yielded the same end
    result, it was a work around to his problem, not a solution.

    JB

+ Reply to Thread