Re: help [Scanned] - Mozilla

  1. Re: help [Scanned]

    On Nov 24, 12:35*pm, g wrote:

    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    > > You already posted this once and you have answers.

    > those answers were not answers, but replies making accusations that he
    > was doing something wrong. that is, that he was going behind admins back
    > by trying to use firefox over ie.
    >
    > > Helo, my internet on Firefox isn't working,. In my school PCs, we have
    > > got strict security but some people's Firefox does WORK!!!

    > nowhere in this does he state hi intend is against admins setting up of
    > school computers.

    True. Although if he was permitted to do this then his admin would be
    the appropriate/logical person to ask for assistance (the one who
    would know what group policies are implemented to restrict activity on
    the machines or would at least be in a position to check to see which
    ones are in place). His message implies that Firefox does not work
    because of the strict security. Although there is a possibility that
    my assumption was incorrect (and the language barrier on the OP's part
    could potentially cause him/her to improperly phrase his situation
    leading me to incorrectly conclude the situation), I suspect I got it
    right. I stand to be corrected in my assumption. But I'd be
    surprised.

    > it does say that school has strict security and some students are able to
    > use firefox.
    >
    > therefore, 'reg' is perfectly correct in replying about permissions and
    > firewall settings.
    >
    > peace out.
    >
    > tc,hago.

    Putting my assumptions aside, my advice is talk to the system
    administrator of your school network. That person is in the best
    position to provide you with the appropriate advice on how to resolve
    your problem.

    JB

  2. Re: help [Scanned]

    On Nov 24, 2:43*pm, g wrote:

    > Fox on the run wrote:
    >
    > > True. *Although if he was permitted to do this then his admin would be
    > > the appropriate/logical person to ask for assistance (the one who

    > agreed.
    >
    > being that sys admin is in a school environment and he is worthy of such
    > a position, he will have a program to monitor software installed on school's
    > computers.
    >
    > it really is not a responsibility of posters who reply to questions, to
    > police those who have questions. if one has questions to a post, one should
    > ask a question to clarify and op's question. not make blind accusations.
    >
    > > ones are in place). *His message implies that Firefox does not work
    > > because of the strict security.

    > not true. he only said that firefox does not work in his case, tho it does
    > for others.
    >
    > he does state that school has strict security, which could imply many things.
    > firewalls, program monitors, and even possibility of key stroke monitors.
    >
    > you may assume. i will presume.
    >
    > yes, language can be a barrier. but that barrier could be lessened simplyby
    > having asked 'does your school allow students to use non ms software?'.
    >
    > then you and i could be spending our time more productively.
    >
    > this is not an accusation, but do remember this, 'do not judge others intent
    > by your own past'. it is far easier to give credit for good, than it is for
    > bad.
    >
    > > Putting my assumptions aside, my advice is talk to the system administrator

    > which is what should have been done in first reply to first of his 2 post..
    >
    > peace out.
    >
    > tc,hago.

    > .
    >
    > ****
    > in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
    >
    > learn linux:
    > 'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' *http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
    > 'The Linux Documentation Project' *http://www.tldp.org/
    > 'LDP HOWTO-index' *http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
    > 'HowtoForge' *http://howtoforge.com/

    I concede on all points. Points well taken. It's not always easy to
    resist injecting one's values/opinions based on prior experiences.
    It's not always a bad thing. But given the minimal details provided
    by the OP, I agree that I should have refrained from doing so and
    rather solicited more information.

    JB

  3. Re: help [Scanned]

    > Right, he was given constructive answers in the first post and my only
    > intention in calling his attention to it is to let him know that only
    > one posting is sufficient.
    >
    > --
    > Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Championwww.ufaq.org
    > Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

    I re-read that first post and you are correct, I did provide
    constructive advice to discuss it with the SysAdmin (which we agreed
    in this thread was the logical person for him to speak with to trouble
    shoot this problem). All this debating in this secondary thread for
    nothing... I got it right the first time .

    JB

  4. Re: help [Scanned]

    On Nov 25, 7:03*am, Fox on the run wrote:

    > > Right, he was given constructive answers in the first post and my only
    > > intention in calling his attention to it is to let him know that only
    > > one posting is sufficient.

    > > --
    > > Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Championwww.ufaq.org
    > > Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

    > I re-read that first post and you are correct, I did provide
    > constructive advice to discuss it with the SysAdmin (which we agreed
    > in this thread was the logical person for him to speak with to trouble
    > shoot this problem). *All this debating in this secondary thread for
    > nothing... *I got it right the first time .
    >
    > JB

    Just to avoid further debate let me be more specific, I got it right
    in that first thread that he should approach the sysadmin. I should
    have refrained from making the assumption that he was attempting to
    circumvent any network policies (as was pointed out by g in this
    thread).

    JB

  5. Re: help [Scanned]

    On Nov 25, 8:28*am, squaredancer wrote:
    > On 24.11.2008 21:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused *Fox on the run
    > to generate the following:? :

    > >> agreed.

    > >> being that sys admin is in a school environment and he is worthy of such
    > >> a position, he will have a program to monitor software installed on school's
    > >> computers.

    > >> it really is not a responsibility of posters who reply to questions, to
    > >> police those who have questions. if one has questions to a post, one should
    > >> ask a question to clarify and op's question. not make blind accusations.

    > >> not true. he only said that firefox does not work in his case, tho it does
    > >> for others.

    > >> he does state that school has strict security, which could imply many things.
    > >> firewalls, program monitors, and even possibility of key stroke monitors.

    > >> you may assume. i will presume.

    > >> yes, language can be a barrier. but that barrier could be lessened simply by
    > >> having asked 'does your school allow students to use non ms software?'..

    > >> then you and i could be spending our time more productively.

    > >> this is not an accusation, but do remember this, 'do not judge others intent
    > >> by your own past'. it is far easier to give credit for good, than it is for
    > >> bad.

    > >> which is what should have been done in first reply to first of his 2 post.

    > >> peace out.

    > >> tc,hago.

    > >> .

    > >> ****
    > >> in a free world without fences, who needs gates.

    > >> learn linux:
    > >> 'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' *http://rute.2038bug.com/index..html.gz
    > >> 'The Linux Documentation Project' *http://www.tldp.org/
    > >> 'LDP HOWTO-index' *http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
    > >> 'HowtoForge' *http://howtoforge.com/

    > > I concede on all points. *Points well taken. *It's not always easy to
    > > resist injecting one's values/opinions based on prior experiences.
    > > It's not always a bad thing. *But given the minimal details provided
    > > by the OP, I agree that I should have refrained from doing so and
    > > rather solicited more information.

    > > JB

    > what got to me worst was the ASSUMPTION that the OP is on a NETWORK -
    > nowhere does he say that - but simply mentions "school computers".....
    > and that could mean aynthing, so I opted for the simple! A standalone,
    > under supervision of a (later mentioned...) supervisor!
    >
    > reg

    When insufficient details are provided, assumptions will be made. As
    long as malicious/destructive advice is not provided as a result of
    those assumptions, what's the issue? The OP will hopefully clarify
    any wrong assumptions (if applicable) in any responses... If not,
    they will have to live with advice provided on assumptions (or no
    advice at all, to each his own).

    JB

  6. Re: help [Scanned]

    On Nov 25, 10:02*am, g wrote:

    No problem. I kind of figured you responded prior to seeing my follow
    up posting clarifying what I meant to say.

    JB

  7. Re: help [Scanned]

    On Nov 25, 12:07*pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:
    > Fox on the run wrote:
    >
    > > Just to avoid further debate let me be more specific, I got it right
    > > in that first thread that he should approach the sysadmin. *

    > as far as I'm concerned, you're all wrong. *You all
    > missed what he said. *T.K. said it best: ". . . but
    > some people's Firefox does WORK!!!" *T.K. should go and
    > talk to those people and find out why theirs works and
    > his doesn't. *He will get better luck there than here.
    >
    > --

    I have to admit that thought immediately crossed my mind when I read
    his first posting. But the fact that he posted here caused me to
    assume (there goes that dirty word again) that either:

    a) he asked and they didn't know how they got it to work or wouldn't
    say
    b) he asked but what worked for them won't work for him
    c) he didn't want to ask/couldn't ask for whatever reason
    d) he didn't think to ask them

    I played the odds and figured it was likely a, b, or c, not d.

    So he should go see the sysadmin and tell him his isn't working but
    it's working for the following people ... The sysadmin can then
    trouble shoot it from there and talk to those people if necessary to
    find out why it works for them but not him.

    The OP has never replied back. What assumptions can we make about
    that?

    JB

+ Reply to Thread