Re: Lost Bookmarks - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Lost Bookmarks - Mozilla ; On Nov 24, 5:14*am, "Travman" wrote: > 1. Started up my computer with Mozilla this morning > 2. Overnight whilst I was asleep all of my bookmarks disappeared? > 3. How do I get them back? > 4. As an ...

  1. Re: Lost Bookmarks

    On Nov 24, 5:14*am, "Travman" wrote:
    > 1. Started up my computer with Mozilla this morning
    > 2. Overnight whilst I was asleep all of my bookmarks disappeared?
    > 3. How do I get them back?
    > 4. As an experiment I went to a web page. Tried to bookmark it.
    > * * Nothing happened!
    > 5. Re-installed Mozilla-same-no bookmarks,can't import them,can't
    > * * even save a new one!!
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Why do they make it so hard.
    > * * If they want to copy Explorer why not keep all of the old easy touse
    > * * handles?

    Almost forgot, regards copying IE and why not keep all of the old easy
    to use handles, I'm assuming you mean calling something a favourite
    instead of a bookmark? Most other browsers call it a bookmark,
    including Opera and Netscape (both which pre-date IE by a year
    according to Wikipedia and Netscape was the dominant browser back then
    and IE was the new kid on the block). So IE was the one that was
    copying, and it was the one that chose to go against the grain. As
    for using bookmarks vs favourites (again assuming that was the point
    you were making), both are equally user friendly terms in my opinion.
    However if you consider that when you read a book and want to save a
    place you place a bookmark, that term has more of a historical
    accuracy than favourites. But again both terms in my opinion are
    representative of their feature, not picking sides just for the sake
    of being anti MS or anti IE. Just wanted to clarify who (IE) copied
    who here and who (Netscape) deviated from the term that was
    established and being used on the dominant browser (Netscape) when the
    other (IE) came on the scene.

    JB

  2. Re: Lost Bookmarks

    On Nov 24, 5:40*am, Fox on the run wrote:
    > On Nov 24, 5:14*am, "Travman" wrote:
    >
    > > 1. Started up my computer with Mozilla this morning
    > > 2. Overnight whilst I was asleep all of my bookmarks disappeared?
    > > 3. How do I get them back?
    > > 4. As an experiment I went to a web page. Tried to bookmark it.
    > > * * Nothing happened!
    > > 5. Re-installed Mozilla-same-no bookmarks,can't import them,can't
    > > * * even save a new one!!
    > > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **Why do they make it so hard.
    > > * * If they want to copy Explorer why not keep all of the old easy to use
    > > * * handles?

    > Almost forgot, regards copying IE and why not keep all of the old easy
    > to use handles, I'm assuming you mean calling something a favourite
    > instead of a bookmark? *Most other browsers call it a bookmark,
    > including Opera and Netscape (both which pre-date IE by a year
    > according to Wikipedia and Netscape was the dominant browser back then
    > and IE was the new kid on the block). *So IE was the one that was
    > copying, and it was the one that chose to go against the grain. *As
    > for using bookmarks vs favourites (again assuming that was the point
    > you were making), both are equally user friendly terms in my opinion.
    > However if you consider that when you read a book and want to save a
    > place you place a bookmark, that term has more of a historical
    > accuracy than favourites. *But again both terms in my opinion are
    > representative of their feature, not picking sides just for the sake
    > of being anti MS or anti IE. *Just wanted to clarify who (IE) copied
    > who here and who (Netscape) deviated from the term that was
    > established and being used on the dominant browser (Netscape) when the
    > other (IE) came on the scene.
    >
    > JB

    Re: above, should have read
    "Just wanted to clarify who (IE) copied who (Netscape) and who (IE)
    deviated from the term that was established..."

    JB

  3. Re: Lost Bookmarks

    > (Since this is OT, a follow up has been set)
    >
    > Yes, that's right. *So why should the database filename that was the
    > same as the UI reference name suddenly change? *FF Devs decided to not
    > use BOOKMARKS as the filename which is the logical name and change it to
    > PLACES (places.sqlite). *Once again, changes that do nothing but
    > confuse. *It makes the average user unable to see any connection between
    > the two.
    >
    > follow-up set to mozilla.general
    >
    > --
    > Terry R.
    > Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    > Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

    I disagree that bookmarks is the logical name. Because it
    contains much more than just bookmarks. Bookmarks are but tables
    within the database places.sqlite. There are other tables as well
    dealing with history. For that reason places is more representative
    of the content of the database than bookmarks. Bookmarks.sqlite would
    give the false impression that only bookmarks are stored in that
    database. They probably could have had separate databases for history
    and for bookmarks, but I'm sure the developers in discussion with the
    people at sqlite (who assisted with the database design) put them into
    one for a valid reason.

    The end user can still backup bookmarks via the GUI (either to a .js
    file through normal backup, or to bookmarks.html if that is what they
    require) without ever having to worry about what it's called on the
    back end. People who need to know where it's stored behind the GUI
    have the task of educating themselves on how things are stored in any
    new version of an application. I don't agree in a change for the sake
    of a change. But I don't believe that is the case here.

    Going back on topic, Travman did you figure things out? If not, reply
    back with your version of Firefox so people can give advise specific
    to the version you are running.

    JB

  4. Re: Lost Bookmarks

    On Nov 24, 11:55*am, "Travman" wrote:
    > Thanks for all of your help...since my last post I have:-
    > * 1. Done a system restore
    > * 2. Re-installed the latest version of FF
    > * 3. Even now I cannot save ONE bookmark. I cannot import my
    > * * * favourites/bookmarks from IE either
    > * 4. I had FF working for 4 months-no probs...now I have had to go
    > * * * back to IE...I am pretty computer savvy so god knows how newbies
    > * * * handle all this.
    > * *5.Beginning to think it is a Windows problem or a conflict with IE

    Are you on a standalone machine, corporate stand alone, networked
    machine? What OS (2000, XP, Vista)? I wonder if it's an issue of
    permissions. If you do not have permission to write to the profile
    folder then you will not be able to bookmark. But if that is the
    case, it will also not retain any of your history, won't retain
    cookies, won't save passwords. Cache is stored in a different folder
    so that could still work if permissions were different for it.

    Given you are computer savvy you could try using ProcMon from
    Microsoft TechNet to monitor what happens when you try and bookmark.
    Having said that ProcMon is not for the faint of heart. It's like
    Wireshark for the desktop. If you don't know how to effectively use
    filters it will be overwhelming and of little value. But if you use
    filtering properly it can be very helpful. If you want to go that
    route let me know and I can give you some tips on how to use it. I
    gather from your email that you are in Australia or Austria (although
    I recognize that you can have a Yahoo! .au email account without
    actually living there). So it will be difficult to get into semi-real
    time or real time assistance on using ProcMon if you want to go that
    route. As long as you don't mind waiting sometimes 10-12 hours
    between replies we can monitor what is going on behind the scenes
    using ProcMon and hopefully figure out the problem.

    JB

  5. Re: Lost Bookmarks

    On Nov 24, 12:45*pm, Fox on the run wrote:
    > On Nov 24, 11:55*am, "Travman" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for all of your help...since my last post I have:-
    > > * 1. Done a system restore
    > > * 2. Re-installed the latest version of FF
    > > * 3. Even now I cannot save ONE bookmark. I cannot import my
    > > * * * favourites/bookmarks from IE either
    > > * 4. I had FF working for 4 months-no probs...now I have had to go
    > > * * * back to IE...I am pretty computer savvy so god knows how newbies
    > > * * * handle all this.
    > > * *5.Beginning to think it is a Windows problem or a conflict with IE

    Forgot to ask, have you tried it in safe mode? Come to think of it I
    believe a re-install will use existing profile(s) and its add-ons. So
    if there is a problem with the profile, that will persist on a re-
    install.

    If it works in safe mode, try creating a new profile and see if it
    works there. If it does, then it's most likely an add-on that is
    causing the problem.

    JB

+ Reply to Thread