On Jan 23, 7:35*am, "J...@couldbeinvalid.com"
wrote:
> On 1/22/2010 8:56 PM, Jim Wood wrote:
>
> > goodwin wrote:
> >> On 01/22/2010 11:37 AM J...@couldbeinvalid.com scribbled:

> >> for me with linux its edit>prefs>attachments
> >> for winblows
> >> tools>optios>attachments(?)

> > In respect of the display of attachments in the message pane the
> > control of automatic display is in the View Menu -> Display
> > Attachments Inline.

> Thanks, I found it.
> It was not clear to me that "Display Attachments Inline" meant "Open
> attachments when viewing". Have unselected it.
> Jeff

If you're running a decent virus checker and exercise some caution
about opening unsolicited emails from addresses you don't know, the
risk is minimal. I have been running with "Display Attachments
Inline" selected literally for years. As far as I know, I have never
been the lucky recipient of a virus through that mechanism. On the
other hand, deselected is even safer, just less convenient.

Peter