Re: search - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: search - Mozilla ; On Jan 18, 2:00*am, Miles wrote: > * Gord McFee wrote, On 1/17/2010 19:11: > > > > > On 1/17/2010 2:36 AM, Miles wrote: > > >> Search "All msgs" doesn't reveal the folder where the msg is > ...

  1. Re: search

    On Jan 18, 2:00*am, Miles wrote:
    > * Gord McFee wrote, On 1/17/2010 19:11:
    >

    > > On 1/17/2010 2:36 AM, Miles wrote:

    > >> Search "All msgs" doesn't reveal the folder where the msg is
    > >> located -- and I have about 100 folders in "kept mail."

    > >> This renders searching through "all msgs" to be of little value unless
    > >> someone knows how to rectify this behavior.

    > >> * *Furthermore, if search with "All Msgs", find many many msgs, most of
    > >> which I don't believe have the word searched for (not certain, but the
    > >> word is far from the subject of a particular msg) -- however I'm
    > >> certain all are in the same folder. Has anyone else noticed this?

    > > The folders are listed in the left-hand panel and you can refine the
    > > messages by selecting a folder and then only the message sin that folder
    > > will be displayed.

    > Sorry, I don't follow you. *There is no left-hand panel in the search
    > drop down nor in the new tab opened by clicking on one of the found msgs.

    Miles, I think that you are looking at the results of a search on one
    mailbox folder, which is what I think you get when you select any of
    the "filters" lines in the second grouping of the search dropdown.

    What I believe Gord is referring to is what I see when I select
    "Search all messages" at the very top of the search dropdown. Try
    that in your installation. What I get when I "Search all messages" is
    a new tab with search results that can be easily ordered by relevance
    or date, or opened as a list. *And,* there's a left sidebar of
    "Filters" which has various options including People, Folder, Tags,
    Mailing List, and so forth.

    HTH,
    Charlie

  2. Re: search

    On Jan 18, 10:32*pm, Miles wrote:
    > * Charlie wrote, On 1/18/2010 09:00:

    > >> Sorry, I don't follow you. *There is no left-hand panel in the search
    > >> drop down nor in the new tab opened by clicking on one of the found msgs.

    > > Miles, I think that you are looking at the results of a search on one
    > > mailbox folder, which is what I think you get when you select any of
    > > the "filters" lines in the second grouping of the search dropdown.

    > > What I believe Gord is referring to is what I see when I select
    > > "Search all messages" at the very top of the search dropdown. *Try
    > > that in your installation. *What I get when I "Search all messages" is
    > > a new tab with search results that can be easily ordered by relevance
    > > or date, or opened as a list. **And,* there's a left sidebar of
    > > "Filters" which has various options including People, Folder, Tags,
    > > Mailing List, and so forth.

    > > HTH,
    > > Charlie

    > I have been admonished in Bugzilla. *This is not a message drop down,
    > it is an entirely different animal -- quote:
    >
    > A "faceted search results page", also called "global search results
    > page" or "gloda search results page" (with multiple mini-previews of
    > some result messages) has nothing in common with the UI definition of
    > a dropdown box. It's a list, yes, and it's scrollable, and it has a
    > small search dropdown box somewhere at the distant top, but altogether
    > that doesn't make the whole page a dropdown.

    Here's something I just discovered about the "faceted search results
    page" (no, I never heard that term before, either -- but it is handy
    to know what these new things are called - Thanks! ;-)

    It has what I consider a slightly odd layout, though I expect to adapt
    to it soon ;-)

    Here's a schematic --
    filters messagesnippets sb1 sb2
    filters messagesnippets sb1 sb2
    filters messagesnippets sb1 sb2
    filters messagesnippets sb1 sb2
    filters messagesnippets sb1 sb2
    filters messagesnippets sb1 sb2
    filters messagesnippets sb1 sb2

    The various filters in the left sidebar, several message snippets
    (with subject, date, sender, recipient, etc) taking up most of the
    real estate in center screen. Then *two* scrollbars. sb1 scrolls the
    snippets, and sb2 scrolls the filters.

    Perhaps you can "reveal" the folder filters by using the furthest
    right scrollbar?

    HTH,
    Charlie

+ Reply to Thread