IMAP & 2 Computers - Mozilla

This is a discussion on IMAP & 2 Computers - Mozilla ; Hi. I have recently been forced to switch from a POP setup to an IMAP one. I have a desktop at home & a laptop also. I use Thunderbird 3.0 on both. Now with my old pop setup I had ...

  1. IMAP & 2 Computers

    Hi. I have recently been forced to switch from a POP setup to an IMAP
    one. I have a desktop at home & a laptop also. I use Thunderbird 3.0
    on both. Now with my old pop setup I had the home desktop setup to
    leave email messages on the server so that even if I read them they
    would still always come through to the laptop. I want to have a
    similar setup under IMAP but I don't understand the options. How do I
    do this? What should be checked/unchecked in server settings? What
    does "Keep messages on this computer" option under synchronization do?
    At the moment if I read the message on my desktop I don't get it on
    the laptop.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

  2. Re: IMAP & 2 Computers

    Hi. Thanks for the reply. However your solution will not work for me
    as POP access has been disabled my network's administrator - hence my
    switch to IMAP. Any other ideas? Surely I can't be the only person
    accessing email via thunderbird on multiple computers. I've been told
    to switch to Groupwise which is the work statndard, but I'd rather
    not.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    On Jan 17, 6:51*pm, John McWilliams via TB wrote:
    > On 1/17/10 * PDT 5:25 AM, H0bbes wrote:
    >
    > > Hi. I have recently been forced to switch from a POP setup to an IMAP
    > > one. I have a desktop at home& *a laptop also. I use Thunderbird 3.0
    > > on both. Now with my old pop setup I had the home desktop setup to
    > > leave email messages on the server so that even if I read them they
    > > would still always come through to the laptop. I want to have a
    > > similar setup under IMAP but I don't understand the options. How do I
    > > do this? What should be checked/unchecked in server settings? What
    > > does "Keep messages on this computer" option under synchronization do?
    > > At the moment if I read the message on my desktop I don't get it on
    > > the laptop,

    > Here's what I did: I have both POP and IMAP setups on the same account.
    > Both POP settings tell it to leave messages on server; deletions are
    > done only in IMAP. Works great for me, as if I accidentally delete
    > something from the IMAP account, it'll be already downloaded and stored
    > in one or both POP accounts. Been doing this on TB 2 xxxx for years, and
    > recent shift to 3.0 shows no ill effects.
    >
    > --
    > john mcwilliams

  3. Re: IMAP & 2 Computers

    On Jan 18, 2:36*am, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
    > On 18.1.2010 8:31, H0bbes wrote:
    >
    > > Hi. Thanks for the reply. However your solution will not work for me
    > > as POP access has been disabled my network's administrator - hence my
    > > switch to IMAP. Any other ideas? Surely I can't be the only person
    > > accessing email via thunderbird on multiple computers. I've been told
    > > to switch to Groupwise which is the work statndard, but I'd rather
    > > not.

    > If you have IMAP on those both computers, the messages should show up in
    > both of them. However, the message goes not show up in 'Unread' state
    > once you read in one of the computers. You will have to set the folder
    > as 'View: All' in the second computer to see the "old" messages.
    >
    > IMAP servers maintains its own state for "Seen/No seen", and the
    > messages are always supposed and maintained in the server.

    > >> Here's what I did: I have both POP and IMAP setups on the same account..
    > >> Both POP settings tell it to leave messages on server; deletions are
    > >> done only in IMAP. Works great for me, as if I accidentally delete
    > >> something from the IMAP account, it'll be already downloaded and stored
    > >> in one or both POP accounts. Been doing this on TB 2 xxxx for years, and
    > >> recent shift to 3.0 shows no ill effects.

    > >> --
    > >> john mcwilliams

    To H0bbes: I set my system up exactly as described above, and it works
    fine (I used to do what you did with POP account). If you want to
    ensure an archival copy of every note on your laptop, you could copy
    notes to local folders.

    Peter Clough

+ Reply to Thread