Thunderbird 3.0 global search and indexer problem - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird 3.0 global search and indexer problem - Mozilla ; Hi, We're a company and use Thunderbird 2 as mail client with a Cyrus IMAP server and shared folders. Our IMAP server shared folders hold about 1.6 mio messages and is about 70GB in total size. We have about 200 ...

  1. Thunderbird 3.0 global search and indexer problem

    Hi,

    We're a company and use Thunderbird 2 as mail client with a Cyrus IMAP
    server and shared folders. Our IMAP server shared folders hold about
    1.6 mio messages and is about 70GB in total size. We have about 200
    users which have their home directory mounted with NFS from a central
    storage. The Thunderbird application is installed on a NFS share.

    Thunderbird 3 comes by default with the new feature "global search and
    indexer" which is turned on. This might be a cool new feature for home
    users on a single pc - but in a company this is unfortunately a
    killer.

    The Thunderbird 3 indexer feature scans all messages on all IMAP
    accounts and local folders and creates an indexer database wich
    occupies about 1.4x more disk space as the original mails. The process
    runs about for a day and creates a significant load on the IMAP
    server. The occupied disk space in the user home volume increases by
    200*1.4*70 GB = 19.6 TB. This is a huge and expensive disk waste. :-(

    Is there a good way how to get out of that misery?

    (1) How can one disable indexer in the installed application for all
    users so that they cannot re-enable it?

    (2) Is it possible to use a global search index available for all
    users, e.g. something like a centralized indexing service?

    Bye
    Bernd

  2. Re: Thunderbird 3.0 global search and indexer problem

    Hi,

    > I would think that a global index shared by everyone on the network
    > would violate every security principle in existence!
    > Given, it would save space, but the security aspects are unbelievable!

    Of course with proper authentication and authorization so that the
    logged in user only can access the search indexes of IMAP folders that
    he has read access. ;-) Some IMAP servers already have a search
    capability. See http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc4731.html. I don't know
    whether Thunderbird uses this feature when it sees the ESEARCH
    capability at login.

    Bye
    Bernd

  3. Re: Thunderbird 3.0 global search and indexer problem

    Hi Terry,

    > I would think you can locate the setting in the config editor, and then
    > write a user.js file that would be installed into each user profile?
    > Whether or not the file would overwrite the setting if a user manually
    > changes it, I don't know.

    Thanks for your reply. I put a user.js with the following line in my
    Thunderbird profile folder:

    pref("mailnews.database.global.indexer.enabled", false);

    Then the global search and indexer feature is turned off. If the user
    re-enables it, it stays on until Thunderbird gets restarted again.

    But there is a little problem: The Thunderbird GUI does not see this
    configuration change provided by user.js. The search bar still shows
    "Search all messages" and pop-ups a search tab after I entered a
    search term. When I manually set the indexer off using the menu Edit >
    Preferences > General, then the search bar shows "Subject or From
    filter" and the old style search is used.

    I already see our helpdesk filling with tickets "Help, my mail search
    does not work anymore after I upgraded to Thunderbird 3.0" ;-)

    Bye
    Bernd

    > Terry R.
    > --
    > Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    > Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

  4. Re: Thunderbird 3.0 global search and indexer problem

    Hi JarrE,

    > Use
    >
    > in js (pref)
    > pref("general.config.vendor", "name");
    > pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
    > pref("general.config.filename", "name.cfg");
    >
    > in cfg:
    > lockPref("general.config.vendor", "name");
    > lockPref("autoadmin.refresh_interval", 1440); // auto-update every 24 hours
    > lockPref("autoadmin.global_config_url", "URL/name.jsc");
    > lockPref("autoadmin.append_emailaddr", false);
    >
    > You can then use the URL-page to set all users settings (and locking them)
    >
    > You have to control the computers (or at least the installation, were I
    > add my js + cfg file)

    Thanks. Good idea. Does this pref.js go to the Thunderbird binary
    installation directory e.g. /share/app/mozilla/thunderbird/3.0/
    defaults/pref or the local user profile directory?

    Bye
    Bernd

+ Reply to Thread