improving search features - Mozilla

This is a discussion on improving search features - Mozilla ; I'm fairly new to TB, so if there are existing solutions or workarounds, please let me know. I found the search in TB3 to be quite lacking. Here are some suggestions for improvement: 1. Quick search for Subject, From, Recipient ...

  1. improving search features

    I'm fairly new to TB, so if there are existing solutions or
    workarounds, please let me know. I found the search in TB3 to be quite
    lacking. Here are some suggestions for improvement:

    1. Quick search for Subject, From, Recipient OR Body

    2. Quick search adopts common internet search operators. Currently,
    quick search is an "exact phrase" search. If I search for orange>, it looks for the exact phrase "apple orange". Quick search
    would be much more useful if it looked for "apple" AND "orange" by
    default. Then of course, you can use quotes for exact phrase, "OR" to
    match any of the terms, minus sign to exclude, and any combination of
    operators.

    4. Have an optional preview pane for Advanced Search results.
    Otherwise, you have to open up each result to see the body.

    I welcome discussion about these suggestions for improvement, and then
    I will eventually submit as feedback.

  2. Re: improving search features

    On Jan 9, 4:26*am, Nir wrote:
    > Subject + Body filter will be good but don't know why you want to
    > combine From, To, Cc field also. A particluar word may exist in either
    > or both Subject and Body. But there is less possibility that word could
    > be found in address fields.

    This is to be able to do a quick search with multiple terms for
    different fields (without going through advanced search). For example,
    if I want to search for emails from "Bob" AND subject "FYI", I cannot
    use quick search.

    > Some similar bugs

    It was good to see that many others had the same suggestion to
    implement google style operators in the quick search. But not good to
    see that the comments were made 1.5 years ago saying that this would
    be implemented in TB3 (but weren't).

    > yourself.

    Actually, I meant to say "From, To, CC, BCC, Subject, Body". Outlook's
    search, which is very good, has a search field called "frequently-used
    text fields". This is basically what I'm suggesting. Or at least add
    one with "Subject, Body".

    I know I can build it up from Advanced search, but it can quickly get
    very clumsy to use. The biggest reason is that it only accepts "exact
    phrase" search per term. So if I'm looking for all emails that pertain
    to Adam, Bob, and Carol, I would have to build 9 terms: 3 terms for
    From/To/CC/BCC, Subject, and Body. In Outlook, Yahoo Mail, Gmail, I
    can do that by typing 3 words in one line.

+ Reply to Thread