recover lost email - Mozilla

This is a discussion on recover lost email - Mozilla ; Hello, I had a nasty problem with TB2.0. It stopped responding while compacting. I had to force quit. When I started again, the folder which was compacting became empty. A 6GB folder become empty. The folder was so big because ...

  1. recover lost email

    Hello,

    I had a nasty problem with TB2.0. It stopped responding while
    compacting. I had to force quit. When I started again, the folder
    which was compacting became empty. A 6GB folder become empty. The
    folder was so big because I was backing up my Gmail account. I tried
    the tips from the Mozilla forum, but after I deleted all the msf
    files, my other folders become unaccessible. All of them are bigger
    than 2GB. I also upgraded to TB3.0, but it doesn't see my folders.
    Compacting doesn't work on any of the corrupted folders.
    Is there a smart tool which can handle big mbox files and recover my
    mails? Or I should consider them lost?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: recover lost email

    I tried with new profile, but the scenario persist. If I put the mbox
    files in the default location of Local Folders everything works. If I
    put the mbox files in any other location, at the first compact or
    reindex, the mails become unaccessible.
    I can't see the connection between indexing and the location of the
    mbox files.

    On Jan 8, 3:04*am, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > On 1/7/2010 3:21 PM, clay wrote:
    >

    > > Istv n wrote:
    > >> If I move the default profile to a different drive than C: where TB is
    > >> installed, reindex/compact corruption happens for all the folders from
    > >> every account. This is not normal. I would like to know id it happens
    > >> only to me or it's a general problem...

    > > Whenever I set up a new computer (same as moving a profile, I would
    > > think) I go through the motions of setting up a user and mail account.
    > > Just put the minimum, usually bogus, info in the fields required to get
    > > me through the setup.
    > > Set it up with the profile wherever you want it.
    > > Close Thunderbird.
    > > Then I drop all the contents of the old/existing profile into the newly
    > > created profile folder, replacing/overwriting everything in the folder.
    > > Saves time if I remember to clean up/compact before copying.
    > > Open Thunderbird and the new computer is the same as the old computer....
    > > Has worked on windows to windows and windows to Linux setups.

    > That works well, and I use it, but if the reason for making a new
    > profile is to correct a strange bug, then that method probably isn't a
    > good choice as it will just replicate the problem into the new profile.
    >
    > --
    > Ron Hunter - rphun...@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread