Too many imported msgs from Eudora crashes TB? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Too many imported msgs from Eudora crashes TB? - Mozilla ; I have a HUGE number of messages in my Eudora7, over 36,000, dating back to 1995(!), but when I tried to import them to TB3, it invariably starts the import process just fine, chugs along, then crashes TB completely. Is ...

  1. Too many imported msgs from Eudora crashes TB?

    I have a HUGE number of messages in my Eudora7, over 36,000, dating
    back to 1995(!), but when I tried to import them to TB3, it invariably
    starts the import process just fine, chugs along, then crashes TB
    completely. Is this a known bug or is there a way to get around this?
    If I could just import selected folders that would help, but... And
    yes, I've already compressed all the folders as best I can, including
    the .00x ones. I am aware that I can run a dupe check on TB once I get
    them all in, but there's the rub

    TIA

    elaine
    charlottesville, va

  2. Re: Too many imported msgs from Eudora crashes TB?

    On Jan 3, 7:01*pm, EPP wrote:
    > I have a HUGE number of messages in my Eudora7, over 36,000, dating
    > back to 1995(!), but when I tried to import them to TB3, it invariably
    > starts the import process just fine, chugs along, then crashes TB
    > completely. Is this a known bug or is there a way to get around this?
    > If I could just import selected folders that would help, but... And
    > yes, I've already compressed all the folders as best I can, including
    > the .00x ones. I am aware that I can run a dupe check on TB once I get
    > them all in, but there's the rub

    FOLLOW UP:

    I moved out ALL the mailboxes except for the 4 basic system ones, in,
    out, junk, trash, and it STILL crashes TB3. I'm really mystified
    now...

    elaine

  3. Re: Too many imported msgs from Eudora crashes TB?

    On Jan 3, 8:39*pm, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > On 1/3/2010 6:01 PM, EPP wrote:
    >
    > > I have a HUGE number of messages in my Eudora7, over 36,000, dating
    > > back to 1995(!), but when I tried to import them to TB3, it invariably
    > > starts the import process just fine, chugs along, then crashes TB
    > > completely. Is this a known bug or is there a way to get around this?
    > > If I could just import selected folders that would help, but... And
    > > yes, I've already compressed all the folders as best I can, including
    > > the .00x ones. I am aware that I can run a dupe check on TB once I get
    > > them all in, but there's the rub

    > > TIA

    > > elaine
    > > charlottesville, va

    > Haven't you ever heard of 'not putting all your eggs in one basket.'??
    > You should move that file to a safe place, and start a new one, at least
    > once a year. *TB is unlikely to be able to handle a file of that size
    > without serious slowdowns.
    >
    > --
    > Ron Hunter - rphun...@charter.net

    Of COURSE I know that--my inbox/out/trash/junk boxes are kept quite
    small for best performance, and I have all of those other older
    messages spread out thru 120 separate sub mailboxes, all of which are
    completely separate files from the inbox. They can and are fairly
    regularly copied elsewhere for safety--yes I do need to keep them,
    this isn't about that. That said, tho, as noted, I physically moved
    ALL of the mail folders except those 4 outside of Eudora, and it still
    crashes.The 4 left over are a total of under 3MB with most of the
    remaining messages in the inbox. Surely that shouldn't make it crash?
    I'm talking CRASH, btw, not slowdown.I get a screen to notify the
    developers and then to restart TB.

    elaine

  4. Re: Too many imported msgs from Eudora crashes TB?

    I had this problem happen to me before;
    It is not that there are too many imported messages;
    it is that one of the messages in not properly formatted or has junk
    chars;

    I used to find the offening message and delete it off the file and re-
    import;
    it would go on for a while and import more messages but would crash
    again-

    Just repeated the process until I imported all the messages;

    I did not analyze the problem too much;

    Just find the last message imported and remove the next message off
    the file and try it again...

    (make a good copy of the file first so you have a backup before you
    start deleting...

    On Jan 4, 9:14*am, Nir wrote:
    > On Monday 04 January 2010 05:31 AM, EPP wrote:
    >
    > > I have a HUGE number of messages in my Eudora7, over 36,000, dating
    > > back to 1995(!), but when I tried to import them to TB3, it invariably
    > > starts the import process just fine, chugs along, then crashes TB
    > > completely. Is this a known bug or is there a way to get around this?
    > > If I could just import selected folders that would help, but... And
    > > yes, I've already compressed all the folders as best I can, including
    > > the .00x ones. I am aware that I can run a dupe check on TB once I get
    > > them all in, but there's the rub

    > There was a bug in Mac OSX version which was fixed long ago.
    >

    > *signature.asc
    > < 1KViewDownload

+ Reply to Thread