TBird 3.0, slowness on Mac OS X 10.5.8 on PowerPC? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TBird 3.0, slowness on Mac OS X 10.5.8 on PowerPC? - Mozilla ; I'm running Thunderbird 3.0 [Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091204 Thunderbird/3.0] on Mac OS X 10.5.8 "Power PC" architecture. I've noticed that the new Thunderbird is running very slowly. It seems to be a generalized ...

  1. TBird 3.0, slowness on Mac OS X 10.5.8 on PowerPC?

    I'm running Thunderbird 3.0 [Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X
    10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091204 Thunderbird/3.0] on Mac OS X
    10.5.8 "Power PC" architecture.

    I've noticed that the new Thunderbird is running very slowly. It
    seems to be a generalized slowdown. It can take a few seconds to
    respond to a mouse click sometimes. When I type in words in the
    quick search field, it takes a second or two before the characters are
    echo'd. It's like typing at 110 baud (bits/second), for those who
    used computers in the late 1970's. When I run top, I see TBird
    maxing out at 100% cpu a lot during routine operations. The slowdowns
    *don't* seem to be related to activity display in the "Activity
    Manager" (aka the activity monitor)

    I'm using SSL/TLS IMAP mailboxes with a lot of mail in them. And
    there's a lot of email kept in local folders (archives). I have the
    "Enable Global Search and Indexer" feature turned off. Under account
    specific settings->Synchronization & Storage, I have "Keep messages
    for this account on this computer" enabled.

    On a Windows XP computer (with roughly the same settings/accounts as
    above), TBird 3 seems to be responsive, although it does seem to use
    more resources.

    Is anybody else experiencing problems like this? Any suggestions for
    what to look for or fix?

    Thanks in advance
    Ben Slade
    Chevy Chase, MD

  2. Re: TBird 3.0, slowness on Mac OS X 10.5.8 on PowerPC?

    I tried safe-mode and dropping/recreating the .msf files. No
    significant difference. Also, I already had global indexing turned
    off.

    I'm wondering if the new TBird 3.0 is just slower because of core
    changes (new Gecko 1.9.1 rendering engine, new search engine, new
    client local database driver). See
    http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-U.../2009-12-08-01

    I wonder if there's anyway to profile where TBird is spending it's
    time? Probably requires compiling the source code and getting some
    sort of Javascript debugger (since a lot of TBird is implemented in
    Javascript, from what I understand)

    Ben

    On Jan 3, 11:45*am, Nir wrote:
    > On Sunday 03 January 2010 10:05 PM, bslade wrote:
    >

    > > I'm running Thunderbird 3.0 [Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X
    > > 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091204 Thunderbird/3.0] on Mac OS X
    > > 10.5.8 "Power PC" architecture.

    > > I've noticed that the new Thunderbird is running very slowly. * It
    > > seems to be a generalized slowdown. * It can take a few seconds to
    > > respond to a mouse click sometimes. * When I type in words in the
    > > quick search field, it takes a second or two before the characters are
    > > echo'd. *It's like typing at 110 baud (bits/second), for those who
    > > used computers in the late 1970's. * *When I run top, I see TBird
    > > maxing out at 100% cpu a lot during routine operations. *The slowdowns
    > > *don't* seem to be related to activity display in the "Activity
    > > Manager" (aka the activity monitor)

    > > I'm using SSL/TLS IMAP mailboxes with a lot of mail in them. *And
    > > there's a lot of email kept in local folders (archives). *I have the
    > > "Enable Global Search and Indexer" feature turned off. * Under account
    > > specific settings->Synchronization & Storage, I have "Keep messages
    > > for this account on this computer" enabled.

    > > On a Windows XP computer (with roughly the same settings/accounts as
    > > above), TBird 3 seems to be responsive, although it does seem to use
    > > more resources.

    > > Is anybody else experiencing problems like this? * Any suggestions for
    > > what to look for or fix?

    > > Thanks in advance
    > > Ben Slade
    > > Chevy Chase, MD

    > Does starting Tb in safe mode[1] make any difference in performance?
    >
    > [1]
    >
    > Additionally you can also see this article about performance degradation
    > due to msf (index) file corruption
    >

    > *signature.asc
    > < 1KViewDownload

  3. Re: TBird 3.0, slowness on Mac OS X 10.5.8 on PowerPC?

    On Jan 4, 9:48*am, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > bslade wrote:
    > > I tried safe-mode and dropping/recreating the .msf files. * No
    > > significant difference. * Also, I already had global indexing turned
    > > off.

    > > I'm wondering if the new TBird 3.0 is just slower because of core
    > > changes (new Gecko 1.9.1 rendering engine, new search engine, new
    > > client local database driver). * See
    > >http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-U.../2009-12-08-01

    > > I wonder if there's anyway to profile where TBird is spending it's
    > > time? * Probably requires compiling the source code and getting some
    > > sort of Javascript debugger (since a lot of TBird is implemented in
    > > Javascript, from what I understand)

    > > Ben

    > /snip/
    >
    > Can I suggest that we bottom post, to preserve the continity of the thread?
    >
    > One thing I'm not seeing here is the processor. *Is it a G4 or a G5,
    > what speed, iMac, Powerbook, Powermac or what?
    >
    > Lee

    This is using a Power Mac G4 with dual 867 Mhz PowerPC CPUs & 2 gbytes
    of mem ( http://support.apple.com/kb/SP63 ) with the most recent
    version of OS X.

    Ben

  4. Re: TBird 3.0, slowness on Mac OS X 10.5.8 on PowerPC?

    On Jan 4, 10:30*am, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > On 1/4/2010 7:56 AM, bslade wrote:
    >
    > > I tried safe-mode and dropping/recreating the .msf files. * No
    > > significant difference. * Also, I already had global indexing turned
    > > off.

    > > I'm wondering if the new TBird 3.0 is just slower because of core
    > > changes (new Gecko 1.9.1 rendering engine, new search engine, new
    > > client local database driver). * See
    > >http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-U.../2009-12-08-01

    > > I wonder if there's anyway to profile where TBird is spending it's
    > > time? * Probably requires compiling the source code and getting some
    > > sort of Javascript debugger (since a lot of TBird is implemented in
    > > Javascript, from what I understand)

    > > Ben

    > If anything, it seems faster to me. *If you aren't already, make sure
    > you try it in safe mode to eliminate extension and theme influences.
    >
    > --
    > Ron Hunter - rphun...@charter.net

    I made a copy of the profile directory tree ( ~/Library/Thunderbird/
    Profiles/ ) into another login dir tree on my
    Mac, then ran Thunderbird using the copied profile data under that
    separate login. I deleted most of the addresses in the address book
    (about 3700), and lots of saved mail in local folders (thousands,
    going back several years). It didn't make any difference in terms of
    performance.

    Ben

+ Reply to Thread