Smart inbox properties - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Smart inbox properties - Mozilla ; Of the eight accounts I access with Thunderbird, there's one that I don't want checked for new mail. The server's crap, the authentication system has problems, and 98% of the time I don't really need to pull down anything from ...

  1. Smart inbox properties

    Of the eight accounts I access with Thunderbird, there's one that I
    don't want checked for new mail. The server's crap, the
    authentication system has problems, and 98% of the time I don't really
    need to pull down anything from there - the other two, I can spare a
    few extra clicks to check it manually. Getting timeout messages about
    it on a regular basis is annoying, so I set TB not to check it at
    startup or afterwards. And it was good.

    Now TB3 comes along, with a tasty smart folder feature. I install it,
    set it up, look over the new things, am pleased, get a timeout message
    about that server. I poke around a little, figure out that from the
    smart inbox I can go to "Properties" > "Select the folders to search",
    see it checked there, uncheck it. No more timeout messages. So far,
    so good. Later, I close TB and go do other things.

    Next day, I reopen it...and get a timeout message. I go back to
    "folders to search", and the flaky account's inbox is checked there
    once more. I uncheck it again. No more timeouts.

    The next time I close and reopen TB, it's checked again.
    And again.
    And again, every time I exit Thunderbird.

    This really seems like a setting that should be tracked in between
    sessions. Am I doing something wrong here?

  2. Re: Smart inbox properties

    On Dec 18, 7:29*am, "Ron K." wrote:
    > Ivan Mazurov on 12/18/2009 4:59 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    >

    > > Of the eight accounts I access with Thunderbird, there's one that I
    > > don't want checked for new mail. *The server's crap, the
    > > authentication system has problems, and 98% of the time I don't really
    > > need to pull down anything from there - the other two, I can spare a
    > > few extra clicks to check it manually. *Getting timeout messages about
    > > it on a regular basis is annoying, so I set TB not to check it at
    > > startup or afterwards. *And it was good.

    > > Now TB3 comes along, with a tasty smart folder feature. *I install it,
    > > set it up, look over the new things, am pleased, get a timeout message
    > > about that server. *I poke around a little, figure out that from the
    > > smart inbox I can go to "Properties" > "Select the folders to search",
    > > see it checked there, uncheck it. *No more timeout messages. *So far,
    > > so good. *Later, I close TB and go do other things.

    > > Next day, I reopen it...and get a timeout message. *I go back to
    > > "folders to search", and the flaky account's inbox is checked there
    > > once more. I uncheck it again. *No more timeouts.

    > > The next time I close and reopen TB, it's checked again.
    > > And again.
    > > And again, every time I exit Thunderbird.

    > > This really seems like a setting that should be tracked in between
    > > sessions. *Am I doing something wrong here?

    > Go to 'Accont Settings...' and review the server settings, etc. for the
    > problem server. *That is where one selects auto-poling and frequency of
    > polling. If those settings are not sticking, then there may be a bug.
    > Normally those settings are preserved in the prefs.js file.
    >
    > --
    > Ron K.
    > Who is General Failure, and why is he searching my HDD?
    > Kernel Restore reported Major Error used BSOD to msg the enemy!

    Nah, that account had those settings (initial polling and auto-
    polling) off for months before I ever tried out TB3. The really
    interesting thing is that they remain turned off even now - restarting
    Thunderbird doesn't affect them.

    I played around with this some more, and it appears that the folder
    selections for TB3's smart inbox aren't being saved across sessions.
    Whether I deselect a folder it's already showing or select a new
    folder to be included, after a restart it goes back to the default -
    showing messages from the inbox of every account and nothing else.
    (I'm testing it with an IMAP account I have several subfolders on.)
    The folder selections for Sent and Drafts also revert to defaults
    after a restart. Seems like a bug to me, as I really don't see the
    point of letting the user change the folder selections only for the
    current session.

    Besides, this still doesn't explain why it tries to connect to a
    server I explicitly set not to be checked automatically - could have
    something to do with it being an IMAP account, but again, I had it set
    exactly the same way in TB2 and it just sat there peacefully without
    ever getting auto-polled.

+ Reply to Thread