Re: Purpose of indexing - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Purpose of indexing - Mozilla ; On Dec 16, 9:44*pm, Gord McFee wrote: > > The msf files still serve as index files, like they always have. *Of > course, every time you add to or delete from a group or folder, the .msf > file ...

  1. Re: Purpose of indexing

    On Dec 16, 9:44*pm, Gord McFee wrote:

    > The msf files still serve as index files, like they always have. *Of
    > course, every time you add to or delete from a group or folder, the .msf
    > file will change.

    Are you saying Gloda is redundant with the msf files? (they both do
    mail body indexing?)

    Asking the question another way, if I just need to search within a
    specific inbox, does Gloda help me at all?

    Ben Slade

  2. Re: Purpose of indexing

    Thanks for the clarification.

    Just to be clear, if I use the quick search field on the main screen
    choosing something other than "Search All Messages", I'm not using the
    indexed search. Additionally, if I do a regular search (edit->Find-
    >Search Messages->Search for messages in->my inbox), then I'm also not

    using the Gloda indexes?

    Thanks
    Ben

    On Dec 17, 4:50*pm, Wayne Mery wrote:
    > On 12/17/2009 1:52 PM, bslade wrote:
    >
    > > On Dec 16, 9:44 pm, Gord McFee *wrote:

    > >> The msf files still serve as index files, like they always have. *Of
    > >> course, every time you add to or delete from a group or folder, the .msf
    > >> file will change.

    > > Are you saying Gloda is redundant with the msf files? * (they both do
    > > mail body indexing?)

    > .msf does not index message bodies. So if you do what is now a "Message
    > body filter", you are physically reading the entire message folder
    > store, for each search. *Furthermore, msf is not an indexed
    > file/database. *So if you search on subject "test" for example it reads
    > the entire msf file.
    >
    > "Search All Messages" on the other hand does not need to read entire
    > folders, it uses gloda's indexed relational database. So gloda's index
    > is not redundant, it's a different type of search.
    >
    > > Asking the question another way, if I just need to search within a
    > > specific inbox, does Gloda help me at all?

    > if you don't use "Search All Messages" then gloda's index is not needed
    >
    > --http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testinghttp://www.spreadthunderbird..com/aff/165/

+ Reply to Thread