Tbird3 feedback - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Tbird3 feedback - Mozilla ; First thoughts: Archiving: something I *really* need, but it needs to retain my folder structure for organization and management. I have gigabytes of email, some folders are over a gigabyte. I need the archiving to split them up, not coalesce ...

  1. Tbird3 feedback

    First thoughts:

    Archiving: something I *really* need, but it needs to retain my folder
    structure for organization and management. I have gigabytes of email,
    some folders are over a gigabyte. I need the archiving to split them
    up, not coalesce them into even bigger monsters. The archiving
    structure needs to have two tree views: yyyy/mm/folder and folder/yyyy/
    mm. searching should work at any level: "I know it was in 2006".

    Smart folders: something I've missed ever since switching from mutt to
    tbird was saving to a folder based on the sender's address. I haven't
    had a chance to play with these much yet, but it would be really nice
    if that ability came back, particularly if it was smart about mail
    lists, regardless of the sender.

    message list pane column headers: I need to go into each and *every*
    single folder to reset the columns?!?! what a royal pain! please add
    a "make this the default" option at the very least!

    Encryption: is encryption ever going to be fixed to work right? When
    I reply to a pgp signed/encrypted message, it should use pgp, not s/
    mime to sign. And encrypt when possible as been on the list for
    *years* now, and it really shouldn't be that hard to do for someone
    who's familiar with tbird internals.

    The work to make tbird scale to large volumes of mail is welcome, but
    please fix the existing issues rather than adding ever more buggy
    features.

  2. Re: Tbird3 feedback

    Some additional notes:

    Search is a big step backwards in one regard: it was really convenient
    to have the interactive search update the display list as I typed.
    The new mode of having to type something and only see a bit of the
    list, then have it go into a separate tab is a nuisance. It also
    doesn't seem to work: I typed in a string that I could see in the
    subjects of some messages and it comes up with nothing.

    When dealing with obvious junk, I took advantage of selecting groups
    of messages to avoid having them render "just in case" there was a bug
    that could allow malware to operate. It also meant I didn't have to
    look at the crap. Now they are listed anyway in a sort of preview. I
    suppose that has it's use for some, but it would be nice if it could
    be turned off.

    When dragging a message into a folder, and particularly when dragging
    a group of messages, the "translucent" background on the block is too
    dark and makes it hard to see the folder list so I can drop it on the
    right one. This is probably a theme thing, but I haven't fiddled with
    that, I'm just using the default (OSX, tbird rc2).

  3. Re: Tbird3 feedback

    I used to be able to get the folder message counts in the folder pane;
    I don't see a way to do this any more

  4. Re: Tbird3 feedback

    Thanks!

    Further notes: the new indexing bogs tbird down so much, I actually
    switched back to tbird 2 briefly, until it crashed again reminding me
    that at least 3 was relatively stable. Indexing *really* needs to be
    low priority though: v3 is supposed to be about scaling to large
    mailboxes, and it's really not coping well.

    I also had it start hanging saving copies of outgoing mail, which
    happened occasionally before, but not this bad...

  5. Re: Tbird3 feedback

    I have mail set to file junk mail to a junk folder. this is not
    happening. it gets marked as junk, but stays in the inbox.

  6. Re: Tbird3 feedback

    On Dec 8, 10:59 pm, Me wrote:
    > Further notes: the new indexing bogs tbird down so much, I actually
    > switched back to tbird 2 briefly, until it crashed again reminding me
    > that at least 3 was relatively stable. Indexing *really* needs to be
    > low priority though: v3 is supposed to be about scaling to large
    > mailboxes, and it's really not coping well.
    >
    > I also had it start hanging saving copies of outgoing mail, which
    > happened occasionally before, but not this bad...

    Thanks for the heads up; I too have GBs of emails and thought of
    migrating.

    --

    Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread