TAB chrs translated - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TAB chrs translated - Mozilla ; ALL - When I create a newsgroup message in Thunderbird; if I paste text that contains TAB chrs, they are displayed as several spaces; If I do the same thing in Netscape/Communicator/Newsgroups; when I paste same text, the TAB chrs ...

  1. TAB chrs translated

    ALL -

    When I create a newsgroup message in Thunderbird; if I paste text that
    contains TAB chrs, they are displayed as several spaces; If I do the
    same thing in Netscape/Communicator/Newsgroups; when I paste same
    text, the TAB chrs are converted into a single space - so everything
    is shifted left;

    I would like the same functionality that happens on Netscape to be the
    same on Thunderbird;

    To try it;

    Open WordPad and type "a TAB bb TAB CC TAB DD" TAB is the TAB chr;

    Is anyone aware of a SWITCH that I can set to toggle the way the TAB
    is handled.!

  2. Re: TAB chrs translated

    On Dec 3, 1:29*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
    > On 12/3/2009 1:08 PM, Angel50 wrote:
    >

    > > ALL -

    > > When I create a newsgroup message in Thunderbird; if I paste text that
    > > contains TAB chrs, they are displayed as several spaces; *If I do the
    > > same thing in Netscape/Communicator/Newsgroups; when I paste same
    > > text, the TAB chrs are converted into a single space - so everything
    > > is shifted left;

    > > I would like the same functionality that happens on Netscape to be the
    > > same on Thunderbird;

    > > To try it;

    > > Open WordPad and type "a TAB bb TAB *CC TAB DD" *TAB is the TAB chr;

    > > Is anyone aware of a SWITCH that I can set to toggle the way the TAB
    > > is handled.!

    > Do I understand you? *You want Thunderbird to work the same way as
    > Netscape?
    >
    > Thunderbird uses tabs as tabs. *With a monospace font, the tab stops are
    > spaced 8 characters apart.
    >
    > As I understand you, Netscape uses tabs as single blank spaces.
    >
    > --
    > David E. Ross
    >

    > Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    > extensions for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and other
    > Mozilla-related applications. *You can access Mozdev much
    > more quickly than you can Mozilla Add-Ons.- Hide quoted text -

    Yes; that is the effect I am getting off netscape single space instead
    of a TAB;
    Thunderbird I get the TAB spaces; wanna toggle the effect or turn it
    off so that it works like netscape

  3. Re: TAB chrs translated

    On Dec 3, 6:32*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
    > On 12/3/2009 6:25 PM, Angel50 wrote:

    > >> Do I understand you? *You want Thunderbird to work the same way as
    > >> Netscape?

    > >> Thunderbird uses tabs as tabs. *With a monospace font, the tab stopsare
    > >> spaced 8 characters apart.

    > >> As I understand you, Netscape uses tabs as single blank spaces.

    > >> --
    > >> David E. Ross
    > >>

    > >> Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    > >> extensions for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and other
    > >> Mozilla-related applications. *You can access Mozdev much
    > >> more quickly than you can Mozilla Add-Ons.- Hide quoted text -

    > > Yes; that is the effect I am getting off netscape single space instead
    > > of a TAB;
    > > Thunderbird I get the TAB spaces; wanna toggle the effect or turn it
    > > off so that it works like netscape

    > Why are you using the Tab key in place of the space bar on your keyboard?
    >
    > --
    > David E. Ross
    >

    > Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    > extensions for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and other
    > Mozilla-related applications. *You can access Mozdev much
    > more quickly than you can Mozilla Add-Ons.- Hide quoted text -

    Text is being provided to me as such;
    Not self generated!

  4. Re: TAB chrs translated

    On Dec 4, 3:31*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
    > On 12/4/2009 5:22 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

    > >> Text is being provided to me as such;
    > >> Not self generated!

    > > Two suggestions:

    > > Contact your source and explain that tabs in place of blanks are causing
    > > problems.

    > > Edit the file with an ASCII editor, globally changing tabs to blanks.
    > > This will require determining how tabs are coded.

    > A tab in Notepad is x09. *A space is x20.
    >
    > --
    > David E. Ross
    >

    > Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    > extensions for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and other
    > Mozilla-related applications. *You can access Mozdev much
    > more quickly than you can Mozilla Add-Ons.

    David -

    Thank You for your help and efforts!
    But no, I am not looking for a workaround!
    I wanna a fix - configuration tweaking!

  5. Re: TAB chrs translated

    Thank You Dave!

+ Reply to Thread