Confusing location of items in menus - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Confusing location of items in menus - Mozilla ; As a new user of Thunderbird it took me a long time to discover how to specify the format (HTML/text) of my messages and how to change the position of my message when replying to an email (above or below ...

  1. Confusing location of items in menus

    As a new user of Thunderbird it took me a long time to discover how to
    specify the format (HTML/text) of my messages and how to change the
    position of my message when replying to an email (above or below the
    received message). This is because there are two places in the menu
    system headed "Composition", one under "Tools\Options\Composition",
    and the other under "Tools\Account settings\Composition and
    Addressing". It didn't occur to me for ages that I should look under
    "Account settings" to change how an email is set out, and since the
    "Composition" half of this menu item isn't really anything to do with
    the account I think it would be better to transfer it to "Tools\Options
    \Composition", and rename the item "Composition and Addressing" in
    "Account settings" as simply "Addressing".

    Also it's a bit odd to find two different menu items headed "Options",
    one on the main menu and another under "Tools". I think the main menu
    one is meant to relate to individual e-mails and the Tools one to
    general program settings which affect all emails. So I'd change the
    name of the Tools entry to read "Program Settings..." to match
    "Account Settings..." above it.

    The Options item on the main tool bar has two items "Check spelling"
    and "Spell check as you type", but "Spell check as you type" is also
    in the Tools\Options\Composition tab. I'd have thought that the
    latter was the right place for it as most users would either want to
    do this for all e-mails or for none, and if by chance they do specify
    no spell checking in the Composition tab but then for some reason want
    to spell-check a particular email they can click the "Check spelling"
    item under "Options" on the main menu. So I suggest deleting "Spell
    check as you type" from the main "Options" item and keeping it in the
    Tools\Options\Composition tab. Otherwise I wonder whether some
    confusion may arise if "Spell-checking as you type" is selected in one
    place and not in the other.

  2. Re: Confusing location of items in menus

    On Sep 19, 8:24*am, Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, at 03:26:42 -0700 (PDT),
    > *-* In Article
    > <9dbad501-aa61-4bb1-9e04-26f9aaf20...@d21g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>,
    > *-* gharbage wrote
    > *-* About Confusing location of items in menus
    >
    > > As a new user of Thunderbird it took me a long time to discover how
    > > to specify the format (HTML/text) of my messages and how to change
    > > the position of my message when replying to an email (above or below
    > > the received message). *This is because there are two places in the
    > > menu system headed "Composition", one under
    > > "Tools\Options\Composition", and the other under "Tools\Account
    > > settings\Composition and Addressing". *It didn't occur to me for
    > > ages that I should look under "Account settings" to change how an
    > > email is set out, and since the "Composition" half of this menu item
    > > isn't really anything to do with the account I think it would be
    > > better to transfer it to "Tools\Options\Composition", and rename the
    > > item "Composition and Addressing" in "Account settings" as simply
    > > "Addressing".

    > * * *Evidently you only have one account set up in Thunderbird. *Those
    > "Composition" options under "Tools --> Account Settings..." are there
    > so that users with multiple accounts can configure each account
    > differently in those areas. *For example, I have one of my e-mail
    > accounts configured for HTML composition, while my other e-mail
    > account and my newsgroup accounts are configured for plain text
    > composition. *Placing replies above quoted material in e-mail but
    > below quoted material in newsgroups is another example of configuring
    > these options differently in different accounts. *Don't expect to ever
    > see those options moved out of "Account Settings...".
    >
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Ken Whiton
    > --
    > * * FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhi...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    I see. I probably don't fully understand what an account is. However
    I'd still find it helpful to see in the Tools\Options\Composition
    \General tab an additional button which says "Account Settings" or
    "General Account Settings" and takes me to the Composition tab in the
    Account Settings if that can be done without causing complications.

  3. Re: Confusing location of items in menus

    On Sep 20, 7:34*am, Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, at 01:04:36 -0700 (PDT),
    > *-* In Article
    > <32d60d22-a9b5-40d6-b590-fe6e2293c...@f10g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
    > *-* gharbage wrote
    > *-* About Re: Confusing location of items in menus
    >

    > > On Sep 19, 8:24 am, Ken Whiton
    > > wrote:
    > >> *-* gharbage wrote

    > >> * * *Evidently you only have one account set up in Thunderbird.
    > >> Those "Composition" options under "Tools --> Account Settings..."
    > >> are there so that users with multiple accounts can configure each
    > >> account differently in those areas. *For example, I have one of my
    > >> e-mail accounts configured for HTML composition, while my other
    > >> e-mail account and my newsgroup accounts are configured for plain
    > >> text composition. *Placing replies above quoted material in e-mail
    > >> but below quoted material in newsgroups is another example of
    > >> configuring these options differently in different accounts. *Don't
    > >> expect to ever see those options moved out of "Account
    > >> Settings...".

    > > I see. I probably don't fully understand what an account is.

    > * * *In simplest terms an account is a server to which you connect
    > using TBird. *It can be an e-mail server, a newsgroup server, or a
    > server which provides an RSS feed. *The Account Settings include the
    > information TBird needs to locate and connect to that server, as well
    > as how you want to interact with and process material you receive
    > from, and/or send to, that server.
    >
    > * * *To illustrate multiple accounts I've uploaded a screenshot of my
    > TBird to
    > ..
    > *In the folder pane, each item with a + or - icon in front of it
    > (except Local Folders) is an account, with its own set of Account
    > Settings.
    >
    > > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *However
    > > I'd still find it helpful to see in the Tools\Options\Composition
    > > \General tab an additional button which says "Account Settings" or
    > > "General Account Settings" and takes me to the Composition tab in
    > > the Account Settings if that can be done without causing
    > > complications.

    > * * *Which account's settings would you have it take you to? *By
    > definition there are no "universal" Account Settings. *Each account
    > has its own set, and there can be as many variation as there are
    > combinations of options which can be selected.

    > --
    > * * FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhi...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    OK, I've got it now, thanks. It didn't occur to me that I might be
    able to receive e-mails from different servers. Evidently I'm still
    using a stone age computer. :-) gharbage (Arnold Page)

+ Reply to Thread