On Sep 11, 5:12*am, tjoen wrote:
> slywlf wrote:
> > Your filters do not work because the msgFilterRules.dat file, which
> > contains your filters, could not be read. A new msgFilterRules.dat file
> > will be created and a backup of the old file, called rulesbackup.dat,
> > will be created in the same directory.

>
> Compare msgFilterRules.dat with rulesbackup.dat
> They are ASCII files


This is happening to me as well. It began about two weeks ago. It
happens both on my work machine (XP) and my home machine (OSX). I'm
running TBird 2.00.23. I've tried moving my profile folder, deleting
all msgFilterRules.dat files and starting over, importing a backup -
etc. Nothing works. This is a real problem and very odd. I've used
Thunderbird for over three years and this hasn't happened before.