Mail before certain date not importing to TB - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Mail before certain date not importing to TB - Mozilla ; Hello, I will start by apologizing about the lack of brevity of this post. I believe I must be thorough in explaining the situation and how it was reached. For years my wife has run her quite successful business over ...

  1. Mail before certain date not importing to TB

    Hello,

    I will start by apologizing about the lack of brevity of this post. I
    believe I must be thorough
    in explaining the situation and how it was reached.

    For years my wife has run her quite successful business over the net.
    She has always
    used Outlook Express to handle email and email addresses (crazy, I
    know). Over the years I tried to convince her to change Thunderbird,
    which I have used for years.

    Over the next years and while her computer (an HP laptop) started
    quietly dying, I finally convinced her to get a new computer. Sadly,
    it had Vista. She wouldn't opt for one with an XP downgrade which
    would have helped...for a while anyways...so she was stuck with
    Windows Vista Mail.

    All the mail from OE did, however export (fairly) nicely into Window
    Mail on the Vista machine.
    I think everybody know that Windows Mail is not very good...to put it
    mildly. The way Win Mail does things was driving
    my wife nuts and I was finally able to convince her to switch to
    Thunderbird.

    When it came to do the switch to TB, we used all the wizards and such
    and after a bit it all seemed to be done.

    However, it turns out that ONLY mail from AFTER the date of migration
    to Windows Mail from OE, was imported into Thunderbird!

    That is, all mail from BEFORE May 19th 2009 was NOT imported into
    Thunderbird. That is the mail from OE on her old computer that went
    perfectly from OE to Win Mail, and she needs it.

    The import/export wizard has no entry for Windows Mail so we naturally
    used the OE button.
    The outlook option did not work when tried.

    So my question is How do I do that? How do I get a hold of all my
    wife's Windows Mail email from May 19th 2009 and
    import into Thunderbird?

    I've tried ImportExportTools and that did not work or that is what I'm
    told by my wife. Thunderbird won't import CSV files,
    I've searched like a madman for an answer/solution but haven't found
    any and I need help with this.
    I still have a backup of her hard drive from the old machine.

    Her machine is a Toshiba with Vista 32 bit, yada, yada, newest TB from
    the website, no extension/add-ons apart from the ImportExportTools
    mentioned.

    Anybody?
    TIA

    John

  2. Re: Mail before certain date not importing to TB

    On Sep 8, 12:52*pm, "Terry R." wrote:
    > The date and time was Tuesday, September 08, 2009 9:43:39 AM , and on a
    > whim, gadager pounded out on the keyboard:
    >

    > > Hello,

    > > I will start by apologizing about the lack of brevity of this post. I
    > > believe I must be thorough
    > > in explaining the situation and how it was reached.

    > > For years my wife has run her quite successful business over the net.
    > > She has always
    > > used Outlook Express to handle email and email addresses (crazy, I
    > > know). Over the years I tried to convince her to change Thunderbird,
    > > which I have used for years.

    > > Over the next years and while her computer (an HP laptop) started
    > > quietly dying, I finally convinced her to get a new computer. *Sadly,
    > > it had Vista. She wouldn't opt for one with an XP downgrade which
    > > would have helped...for a while anyways...so she was stuck with
    > > Windows Vista Mail.

    > > All the mail from OE did, however export (fairly) nicely into Window
    > > Mail on the Vista machine.
    > > I think everybody know that Windows Mail is not very good...to put it
    > > mildly. *The way Win Mail does things was driving
    > > my wife nuts and I was finally able to convince her to switch to
    > > Thunderbird.

    > > When it came to do the switch to TB, we used all the wizards and such
    > > and after a bit it all seemed to be done.

    > > However, it turns out that ONLY mail from AFTER the date of migration
    > > to Windows Mail from OE, was imported into Thunderbird!

    > > That is, all mail from BEFORE May 19th 2009 was NOT imported into
    > > Thunderbird. That is the mail from OE on her old computer that went
    > > perfectly from OE to Win Mail, and she needs it.

    > > The import/export wizard has no entry for Windows Mail so we naturally
    > > used the OE button.
    > > The outlook option did not work when tried.

    > > So my question is How do I do that? How do I get a hold of all my
    > > wife's Windows Mail email from May 19th 2009 and
    > > import into Thunderbird?

    > > I've tried ImportExportTools and that did not work or that is what I'm
    > > told by my wife. Thunderbird won't import CSV files,
    > > I've searched like a madman for an answer/solution but haven't found
    > > any and I need help with this.
    > > *I still have a backup of her hard drive from the old machine.

    > > Her machine is a Toshiba with Vista 32 bit, yada, yada, newest TB from
    > > the website, no extension/add-ons apart from the ImportExportTools
    > > mentioned.

    > > Anybody?
    > > TIA

    > > John

    > Hi John,
    >
    > See if this doesn't help you out:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbir...Qs_:_Migration
    >
    > Terry R.
    > --
    > Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    > Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

    Thanks for the suggestion. Close but no cigar. Turns out that it is
    the NEW mail from AFTER my wife went over to Windows Vista Mail that
    never made it over. That makes no sense to me at all. Apparently WVM
    moved all her OLD OE mail but not the new mail. I am at a loss. I
    tried the tools and even a commercial product and none worked as
    expected. I can only do it early in the A.M. Otherwise she is hitting
    the keyboard big time...got to in these times...every little bit o'
    business helps.

    Guess I'll try to import into Outlook 2007 and then see what happens.
    Maybe if all goes well, I'll just leave her on Outlook instead of
    trying to use TB...which is not what I want to do but she needs all of
    her email apparently. I'll then look into some sort of email 2 DB
    stuff, I think.

    Thanks again...if you think of anything else, I am open to it.
    John

+ Reply to Thread