On Mar 22, 10:34*am, dillinger wrote:
> On 22/03/09 15:31, Jay Garcia wrote:
>
> > On 22.03.2009 08:32, dillinger wrote:

I suppose the confusion might be that when we look at the folders
organization in Thunderbird, there are folders listed under each
service and there are folders listed as 'local'. An easy conclusion
is that local means 'not remote'.

If I have the setting set to leave messages on the server until I
'delete' them, it seems to make some sense to remove them from the
server if I move them to a 'local' folder.

As to why we might want to leave messages on the server, in today's
connected world there are many ways to access mail. I have a desktop,
a laptop, a cellphone, and also occasionally check email from
elsewhere via a web interface. Sometimes I want to refer back to a
message on another device than I initially read it on.

I'm only seeing pop3 & smtp listed for my ISP. I'll have to bug them
about imap (and check whether/how it does what I'm looking for).

Plus check whether the useful Toolbar Buttons Add-on might be able to
add a real move operation.

- jevans