Keyboard, strange behavior, deletes messages! - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Keyboard, strange behavior, deletes messages! - Mozilla ; Hi, since some days my Thunderbird has been strange and dangerous: - arrow down deletes message! (I can not find it in Trash...) - arrow up, deletes also messages, se above - the first title (Archive) is not visible, but ...

  1. Keyboard, strange behavior, deletes messages!

    Hi,

    since some days my Thunderbird has been strange and dangerous:

    - arrow down deletes message! (I can not find it in Trash...)
    - arrow up, deletes also messages, se above
    - the first title (Archive) is not visible, but the menu works

    I use version 2.0.0.21.

    Thanks for any help

    Best regards
    Georg

  2. Re: Keyboard, strange behavior, deletes messages!

    Thank you Ron,

    I have started full scan with Spyboot! (Symantec Antivirus has not
    warned)

    Best regards
    Georg

    On 2 Apr, 13:51, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Georg Hodosi wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > since some days my Thunderbird has been strange and dangerous:

    > > - arrow down deletes message! (I can not find it in Trash...)
    > > - arrow up, deletes also messages, se above
    > > - the first title (Archive) is not visible, but the menu works

    > > I use version 2.0.0.21.

    > > Thanks for any help

    > > Best regards
    > > Georg

    > run virus/trojan scanner!
    > Make sure keyboard encoding hasn't been changed. *An ugly trick is to
    > load an alternative keyboard map that causes some keys to become 'delete'..
    >
    > --
    > Ron Hunter *rphun...@charter.net

  3. Re: Keyboard, strange behavior, deletes messages!

    Thanks I will try. Spyboot did not find any errors.

    Best regards
    Georg

    On Apr 3, 3:58*am, JoeS wrote:
    > On 4/2/2009 7:34 AM, Georg Hodosi wrote:
    >
    > > - the first title (Archive) is not visible, but the menu works

    > > I use version 2.0.0.21.

    > Archive is a feature of Thunderbird 3.0 beta builds.
    > If you see that feature, you are not running 2.0.0.21
    >
    > Use Help>>about to determine your version.
    >
    > JoeS

  4. Re: Keyboard, strange behavior, deletes messages!

    On Apr 4, 2:41*pm, "Geoffrey Hyde"
    wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    >
    > news:d4KdnQLGur1JO0nUnZ2dnUVZ_j1i4p2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >
    > > Make sure keyboard encoding hasn't been changed. *An ugly trick is toload
    > > an alternative keyboard map that causes some keys to become 'delete'.

    > I have found that ICQ remapped certain keys to hotkeys for ICQ windows! *The
    > only way you'd find this out was after installation of ICQ and when you
    > attempted to use another program which used those shortcut keys!! *Easyfix
    > was to simply tell ICQ not to use it's shortcut keys. *Perhaps something
    > similar has happned in his case.
    >
    > I have also found that physically stuck down keys can be the culprit, in
    > this case either change the keyboard (expensive) or clean the gunk out of
    > it. *If you're a techie type who likes to disassemble stuff, you might try
    > looking inside the keyboard and cleaning the metal contact layout under the
    > rubber keypad directly. *If the key's an often used one, it might fail more
    > often. *If that's the case, a new keyboard will solve the problem for a
    > while.
    >
    > Cheers ...
    >
    > Geoffrey Hyde

    Hi again!
    I have now run: Spyboot, Malwarebytes, Symantic antivirus, but nothing
    helped! It is clean, but the arrow is deleting the mail! It normally
    comes into to the trash, but this removes without that I can nor find
    them in them!
    How can I clean the keyboard? Working with Word the arrows work ok!
    The first column title disappeared. (version version 2.0.0.21)

    Thanks for all help.
    Best regards
    Georg

  5. Re: Keyboard, strange behavior, deletes messages!

    On Apr 3, 11:46*pm, Jordon
    wrote:
    > Georg Hodosi wrote:
    > > since some days my Thunderbird has been strange and dangerous:

    > > - arrow down deletes message! (I can not find it in Trash...)
    > > - arrow up, deletes also messages, se above
    > > - the first title (Archive) is not visible, but the menu works

    > > I use version 2.0.0.21.

    > Have you tried rebooting? Once or twice a year I find a key
    > doing something it's not suppose to. A reboot always fixes
    > it.
    >
    > --
    > Jordon

    Ig have rebooted a couple of times, without success!
    /Georg

  6. Re: Keyboard, strange behavior, deletes messages!

    On Apr 2, 1:51*pm, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > GeorgHodosiwrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > since some days my Thunderbird has been strange and dangerous:

    > > - arrow down deletes message! (I can not find it in Trash...)
    > > - arrow up, deletes also messages, se above
    > > - the first title (Archive) is not visible, but the menu works

    > > I use version 2.0.0.21.

    > > Thanks for any help

    > > Best regards
    > >Georg

    > run virus/trojan scanner!
    > Make sure keyboard encoding hasn't been changed. *An ugly trick is to
    > load an alternative keyboard map that causes some keys to become 'delete'..
    >
    > --
    > Ron Hunter *rphun...@charter.net

    Hi together,
    how can I make sure keyboard encoding hasn't been changed?

    Best regards
    Georg

  7. Re: Keyboard, strange behavior, deletes messages!

    On Apr 7, 7:22*pm, Nir wrote:
    > On Monday 06 April 2009 01:38 AM,GeorgHodosiwrote:
    >
    > > On Apr 3, 11:46 pm, Jordon
    > > wrote:

    > >> Have you tried rebooting? Once or twice a year I find a key
    > >> doing something it's not suppose to. A reboot always fixes
    > >> it.

    > Do you have any extension named 'keyconfig' installed in your Tb?

    Thank you so much!
    After installing keyconfig (and the other file) the arrow works
    correct and the title File is visible again (not archive as I thought
    that it was).
    How did you know this?

    Best regards
    Georg

  8. Re: Keyboard, strange behavior, deletes messages!

    On Apr 8, 9:15*pm, Nir wrote:
    > On Wednesday 08 April 2009 07:25 PM, Georg Hodosi wrote:

    > >> Do you have any extension named 'keyconfig' installed in your Tb?

    > > Thank you so much!
    > > After installing keyconfig (and the other file) the arrow works
    > > correct and the title File is visible again (not archive as I thought
    > > that it was).
    > > How did you know this?

    > No, it is you who fixed your problem :-)
    > I thought you have that extension installed and misconfigured. As you
    > mentioned 'File' menu was not appearing so I believe something is
    > corrupted/malfunctioning in your Tb profile.
    > Georg, if you have some time then can you start Tb in safe mode and
    > check if those problem occurs in safe mode also.
    >
    > To start Tb in safe mode:
    > Close Tb in it is running.
    > Goto Start > Run , type
    > "thunderbird.exe" -safe-mode

    Now I have started Tb in safe mode, there have not been any comments
    Thanks againg

  9. Re: Keyboard, strange behavior, deletes messages!

    On Apr 10, 5:44*am, Georg Hodosi wrote:
    > On Apr 8, 9:15*pm, Nir wrote:

    > > > Thank you so much!
    > > > After installing keyconfig (and the other file) the arrow works
    > > > correct and the title File is visible again (not archive as I thought
    > > > that it was).
    > > > How did you know this?

    > > No, it is you who fixed your problem :-)
    > > I thought you have that extension installed and misconfigured. As you
    > > mentioned 'File' menu was not appearing so I believe something is
    > > corrupted/malfunctioning in your Tb profile.
    > > Georg, if you have some time then can you start Tb in safe mode and
    > > check if those problem occurs in safe mode also.

    > > To start Tb in safe mode:
    > > Close Tb in it is running.
    > > Goto Start > Run , type
    > > "thunderbird.exe" -safe-mode

    > Now I have started Tb in safe mode, there have not been any comments
    > Thanks againg

    fyi, i've had this same problem for about a year now. i had it on my
    old laptop, and i have it on my new laptop. i'm fairly sure that
    there is no malware. it must be some strange combination of software
    that i've had installed on both machines that's causing this. very
    strange indeed. it's extremely frustrating. for example, if i'm in
    the main tb window viewing an email, if i press ctrl-p to print, it
    prints. if i've opened up that same email in it's own window, then
    pressing ctrl-p will delete it. this happens with all keyboard
    shortcuts. i'll try keyconfig...

  10. Re: Keyboard, strange behavior, deletes messages!

    On Apr 23, 3:42*pm, manishie wrote:
    > On Apr 10, 5:44*am, Georg Hodosi wrote:

    > > > No, it is you who fixed your problem :-)
    > > > I thought you have that extension installed and misconfigured. As you
    > > > mentioned 'File' menu was not appearing so I believe something is
    > > > corrupted/malfunctioning in your Tb profile.
    > > > Georg, if you have some time then can you start Tb in safe mode and
    > > > check if those problem occurs in safe mode also.

    > > > To start Tb in safe mode:
    > > > Close Tb in it is running.
    > > > Goto Start > Run , type
    > > > "thunderbird.exe" -safe-mode

    > > Now I have started Tb in safe mode, there have not been any comments
    > > Thanks againg

    > fyi, i've had this same problem for about a year now. *i had it on my
    > old laptop, and i have it on my new laptop. *i'm fairly sure that
    > there is no malware. *it must be some strange combination of software
    > that i've had installed on both machines that's causing this. *very
    > strange indeed. *it's extremely frustrating. *for example, if i'm in
    > the main tb window viewing an email, if i press ctrl-p to print, it
    > prints. *if i've opened up that same email in it's own window, then
    > pressing ctrl-p will delete it. *this happens with all keyboard
    > shortcuts. *i'll try keyconfig...

    yeah! it worked! installing keyconfig and restarting is all i had to
    do...

    thanks all.

+ Reply to Thread