Thunderbird Lockup -- stop messages loading? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird Lockup -- stop messages loading? - Mozilla ; Normally I'm a pretty smart guy with computers, but right now I'm going through chemotherapy treatments, so there's a lot of mental confusion. I did try to look up the answer in Thunderbird help and by searching this forum and ...

  1. Thunderbird Lockup -- stop messages loading?

    Normally I'm a pretty smart guy with computers, but right now I'm
    going through chemotherapy treatments, so there's a lot of mental
    confusion. I did try to look up the answer in Thunderbird help and by
    searching this forum and the Thunderbird Portable forum, so my
    apologies if I missed something simple.

    Anyway, the mail account I had been using is being dropped, and I
    needed to scramble to save all my messages elsewhere, and deal with
    them later. I successfully downloaded over 2200 messages (some with
    attachments) into Portable Thunderbird, and they're stored on my thumb
    drive. The next day when I started up Thunderbird, it started
    downloading all the messages into memory from my thumb drive, which
    took a long time. I let things run overnight, and it's still stuck on
    message 2219 of 2221, still displaying "Loading Message..." and the
    progress bar keeps moving.

    Immediate question: How to gracefully stop things? I see no button or
    menu choice to stop or cancel the action, and Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Break, and
    Escape have no effect. I tried adding the "Stop" button to the tool
    bar, but it's greyed out and I can't click on it.

    Next question: How do I prevent this happening the next time I open
    Thunderbird? Do I move the messages to a different folder, or
    something? Today is the last day I have access to my old mail server,
    so I just want to store the messages somewhere I can retrieve them
    later.

  2. Re: Thunderbird Lockup -- stop messages loading?

    On Mar 29, 1:10*pm, carte...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Normally I'm a pretty smart guy with computers, but right now I'm
    > going through chemotherapy treatments, so there's a lot of mental
    > confusion. I did try to look up the answer in Thunderbird help and by
    > searching this forum and the Thunderbird Portable forum, so my
    > apologies if I missed something simple.
    >
    > Anyway, the mail account I had been using is being dropped, and I
    > needed to scramble to save all my messages elsewhere, and deal with
    > them later. I successfully downloaded over 2200 messages (some with
    > attachments) into Portable Thunderbird, and they're stored on my thumb
    > drive. The next day when I started up Thunderbird, it started
    > downloading all the messages into memory from my thumb drive, which
    > took a long time. I let things run overnight, and it's still stuck on
    > message 2219 of 2221, still displaying "Loading Message..." and the
    > progress bar keeps moving.
    >
    > Immediate question: How to gracefully stop things? I see no button or
    > menu choice to stop or cancel the action, and Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Break, and
    > Escape have no effect. I tried adding the "Stop" button to the tool
    > bar, but it's greyed out and I can't click on it.
    >
    > Next question: How do I prevent this happening the next time I open
    > Thunderbird? Do I move the messages to a different folder, or
    > something? Today is the last day I have access to my old mail server,
    > so I just want to store the messages somewhere I can retrieve them
    > later.

    Try deleting your mimeTypes.rdf file. I couldn't open ANY messages
    with attachments, and that fixed it for me! I'd just get a Loading
    Message (overnight!) and have to kill Thunderbird.

+ Reply to Thread