Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17 - Mozilla ; I would like to disable the vertical quote lines in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17. I use plain text format for email. I RTFMed through the posts here and have the following set: mail.quoteasblock = false mail.quoted_graphical = false mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support = true I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

  1. Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    I would like to disable the vertical quote lines in Thunderbird
    2.0.0.17. I use plain text format for email. I RTFMed through the
    posts here and have the following set:

    mail.quoteasblock = false
    mail.quoted_graphical = false
    mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support = true

    I exited and reopened Thunderbird multiple times, yet the annoyance
    persists. Now I have regular ">" quotes but surrounded by vertical
    blue lines. Anything else I can do to disable this?

  2. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

  3. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On Nov 4, 10:47*pm, g wrote:
    > in addition to above,
    > i had to change 'quotecolors.fg.i1' thru 'quotecolors.fg.i5' to '#000000'..
    > this gave me '>' without color bars.
    > there may be an easier way, but this is what worked.

    Which file did you change it in? I tried config editor, but I couldn't
    find any of those entries.

  4. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    revhobo@gmail.com on 11/5/2008 2:00 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    > On Nov 4, 10:47 pm, g wrote:
    >> in addition to above,
    >> i had to change 'quotecolors.fg.i1' thru 'quotecolors.fg.i5' to '#000000'.
    >> this gave me '>' without color bars.
    >> there may be an easier way, but this is what worked.

    > Which file did you change it in? I tried config editor, but I couldn't
    > find any of those entries.

    I am just as confused.

    --
    Ron K.

  5. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    *-* On Wed, 05 Nov 2008, at 02:13:44 -0500,
    *-* In Article 2-CdnUlfBokQ2ozUnZ2dnUVZ_jOdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Ron K. wrote
    *-* About Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    > revhobo@gmail.com on 11/5/2008 2:00 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    >> On Nov 4, 10:47 pm, g wrote:
    >>> in addition to above,
    >>> i had to change 'quotecolors.fg.i1' thru 'quotecolors.fg.i5' to
    >>> '#000000'.
    >>> this gave me '>' without color bars.

    >>> there may be an easier way, but this is what worked.

    >> Which file did you change it in? I tried config editor, but I
    >> couldn't find any of those entries.

    > I am just as confused.

    I'd be willing to bet that "g" has the QuoteColors extension
    installed, and that those preferences belong to it and not to TB
    itself. I've observed that when a preference begins with the name of
    an extension, it usually belongs to that extension.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  6. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    Ken Whiton on 11/5/2008 4:14 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    > *-* On Wed, 05 Nov 2008, at 02:13:44 -0500,
    > *-* In Article 2-CdnUlfBokQ2ozUnZ2dnUVZ_jOdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* Ron K. wrote
    > *-* About Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
    >
    >> revhobo@gmail.com on 11/5/2008 2:00 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    >>>>

    >>> Which file did you change it in? I tried config editor, but I
    >>> couldn't find any of those entries.

    >> I am just as confused.

    > I'd be willing to bet that "g" has the QuoteColors extension
    > installed, and that those preferences belong to it and not to TB
    > itself. I've observed that when a preference begins with the name of
    > an extension, it usually belongs to that extension.
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    >
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    Yes, I have noted that fact too.

    --
    Ron K.

  7. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

  8. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

  9. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

  10. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

  11. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

  12. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

  13. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    So we're back to square one. I don't have the extension installed, but
    would still like to get rid of the color bars. Any ideas? There has
    got to be a way, right? I would expect such weirdness as proprietary
    block quoting in things like Outlook, but in Thunderbird, a standards-
    based program it surprises me a bit that it is the default and so
    difficult to get rid of.

  14. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    revhobo@gmail.com wrote, On 05/11/08 11:44:
    > I would like to disable the vertical quote lines in Thunderbird
    > 2.0.0.17. I use plain text format for email. I RTFMed through the
    > posts here and have the following set:
    >
    > mail.quoteasblock = false
    > mail.quoted_graphical = false
    > mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support = true
    >
    > I exited and reopened Thunderbird multiple times, yet the annoyance
    > persists. Now I have regular ">" quotes but surrounded by vertical
    > blue lines. Anything else I can do to disable this?

    See this article
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Quote_bars"

    (I'm assuming that you are not using any quote related extension in your Tb)

  15. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

  16. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On Nov 5, 8:57*am, Nir wrote:
    > See this article "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Quote_bars"

    I read that article, that's where I got the config lines from.
    However, the article also mentions userContent.css. Where do I find
    that? Am I missing something? Do I create that file myself?

    > (I'm assuming that you are not using any quote related extension in your Tb)

    No, I am not.

  17. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On 11/5/08 2:20 PM, _revhobo@gmail.com_ spoke thusly:
    > On Nov 5, 8:57 am, Nir wrote:
    >> See this article "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Quote_bars"

    > I read that article, that's where I got the config lines from.
    > However, the article also mentions userContent.css. Where do I find
    > that? Am I missing something? Do I create that file myself?
    >
    >> (I'm assuming that you are not using any quote related extension in your Tb)

    > No, I am not.

    You should use it. One of the things it provides is a checkbox for
    graphical quoting.

    --
    Chris Ilias

  18. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On Nov 5, 12:19*pm, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > You should use it. One of the things it provides is a checkbox for
    > graphical quoting.

    Thank you. I would have preferred to disable the graphical quoting
    without additional programs, but at least now my Thunderbird behaves
    the way god intended it, without cutesy stuff.

  19. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    *-* On Wed, 05 Nov 2008, at 19:18:48 +0000,
    *-* In Article
    mailman.444.1225912633.2442.support-...ts.mozilla.org,
    *-* g wrote
    *-* About Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    > Nir wrote:

    >> See this article
    >> "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Quote_bars"

    > i did. trouble is it presumes that tbird is under '~/.mozilla'.
    > where as mine is under '~/thunderbird/' and no 'chrome' directory.

    The "chrome" directory doesn't exist by default. You have to
    create it the first time you create the userChrome.css and/or
    userContent.css file(s).

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  20. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    *-* On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, at 11:20:45 -0800 (PST),
    *-* In Article
    226f4fb2-7112-422e-aecc-fe8b7f7c02fc...oglegroups.com,
    *-* revhobo@gmail.com wrote
    *-* About Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    > On Nov 5, 8:57 am, Nir wrote:
    >> See this article "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Quote_bars"

    > I read that article, that's where I got the config lines from.
    > However, the article also mentions userContent.css. Where do I find
    > that? Am I missing something? Do I create that file myself?

    The userContent.css file goes in the "chrome" folder (in your
    profile folder), which doesn't exist by default. You have to create
    the "chrome" folder and then create the userContent.css file within
    it.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast