Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17 - Mozilla ; The date and time was 11/6/2008 12:42 AM, and on a whim, Ken Whiton pounded out on the keyboard: > >> i did. trouble is it presumes that tbird is under '~/.mozilla'. >> where as mine is under '~/thunderbird/' and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

  1. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    The date and time was 11/6/2008 12:42 AM, and on a whim, Ken Whiton
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    >> i did. trouble is it presumes that tbird is under '~/.mozilla'.
    >> where as mine is under '~/thunderbird/' and no 'chrome' directory.

    > The "chrome" directory doesn't exist by default. You have to
    > create it the first time you create the userChrome.css and/or
    > userContent.css file(s).

    It doesn't? Wasn't there example files that used to be placed there, or
    isn't that done any longer?

    --
    Terry R.

  2. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On 11/6/08 9:58 AM, _Terry R._ spoke thusly:
    > The date and time was 11/6/2008 12:42 AM, and on a whim, Ken Whiton
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>
    >>> i did. trouble is it presumes that tbird is under '~/.mozilla'.
    >>> where as mine is under '~/thunderbird/' and no 'chrome' directory.

    >> The "chrome" directory doesn't exist by default. You have to
    >> create it the first time you create the userChrome.css and/or
    >> userContent.css file(s).
    >>

    > It doesn't? Wasn't there example files that used to be placed there, or
    > isn't that done any longer?

    In SeaMonkey, not Firefox or Thunderbird.
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit#css

    --
    Chris Ilias

  3. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    The date and time was 11/6/2008 7:17 AM, and on a whim, Chris Ilias
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > On 11/6/08 9:58 AM, _Terry R._ spoke thusly:
    >> The date and time was 11/6/2008 12:42 AM, and on a whim, Ken Whiton
    >> pounded out on the keyboard:
    >>> The "chrome" directory doesn't exist by default. You have to
    >>> create it the first time you create the userChrome.css and/or
    >>> userContent.css file(s).
    >>>

    >> It doesn't? Wasn't there example files that used to be placed there, or
    >> isn't that done any longer?

    > In SeaMonkey, not Firefox or Thunderbird.
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit#css

    I've never used SM, but I know I've seen example files in my FF & TB
    profiles. Here is one discussion of the file even with FF3:
    http://markmail.org/message/wbrrs42iitxashbw

    Here is another with FF2:
    http://www.qassia.com/firefox-2-wort...sential-tweaks

    So if example files are included in the chrome folder, it must have been
    a default at some point.

    --
    Terry R.

  4. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    Regarding the thread titled: "Re: Disable graphical quoting in
    Thunderbird 2.0.0.17"

    On 11/6/08 1:42 AM, Ken Whiton's opinion was expressed:

    > The "chrome" directory doesn't exist by default. You have to
    > create it the first time you create the userChrome.css and/or
    > userContent.css file(s).

    I have an "Edit userChrome.css" selection on my tools menu, but that was
    put there by the Mr. Tech Toolkit add on. It must have created the
    userChrome.css file because there is an entry in it: @namespace
    url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

    --
    BJ

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  5. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    *-* On Thu, 06 Nov 2008, at 08:05:33 -0800,
    *-* In Article asqdnd3qZoNXiI7UnZ2dnUVZ_hidnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Terry R. wrote
    *-* About Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    > The date and time was 11/6/2008 7:17 AM, and on a whim, Chris Ilias
    > pounded out on the keyboard:

    >> On 11/6/08 9:58 AM, _Terry R._ spoke thusly:
    >>> The date and time was 11/6/2008 12:42 AM, and on a whim, Ken
    >>> Whiton pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> It doesn't? Wasn't there example files that used to be placed
    >>> there, or isn't that done any longer?

    >> In SeaMonkey, not Firefox or Thunderbird.
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit#css

    > I've never used SM, but I know I've seen example files in my FF & TB
    > profiles. Here is one discussion of the file even with FF3:
    > http://markmail.org/message/wbrrs42iitxashbw

    > Here is another with FF2:
    > http://www.qassia.com/firefox-2-wort...sential-tweaks

    > So if example files are included in the chrome folder, it must have
    > been a default at some point.

    FF yes, TB no. FF has a chrome folder, containing the
    userC*-example.css files in two locations - both the profile folder
    and the program folder. TB's default installation doesn't include the
    chrome folder or any example files. The TB user has to create the
    chrome folder if/when he/she creates the .css files. The following is
    copied and pasted from the MS-DOS Prompt window on my Windows ME
    desktop system:

    = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =

    C:\
    Yes, Boss? dir userC*.css /s /a

    Volume in drive C is HP_PAVILION
    Volume Serial Number is 173A-1BF1

    Directory of C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\chrome

    USERCO~1 CSS 663 02-03-06 4:06p userContent-example.css
    USERCH~1 CSS 1,078 02-03-06 4:06p userChrome-example.css
    2 file(s) 1,741 bytes

    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.defau
    lt\chrome

    USERCO~1 CSS 698 02-25-05 7:27p userContent-example.css
    USERCH~1 CSS 1,132 02-25-05 7:27p userChrome-example.css
    2 file(s) 1,830 bytes

    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\yyyyyyyy.slt\c
    hrome

    USERCO~1 CSS 663 07-26-02 10:47a userContent-example.css
    USERCH~1 CSS 1,078 12-09-01 9:06a userChrome-example.css
    2 file(s) 1,741 bytes

    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\Application
    Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\zzzzzzzz.default\c
    hrome

    USERCH~1 CSS 2,225 08-20-08 2:21a userChrome.css
    USERCO~1 CSS 1,816 07-26-08 7:28p userContent.css
    2 file(s) 4,041 bytes

    Total files listed:
    8 file(s) 9,353 bytes
    0 dir(s) 670,826,496 bytes free

    = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =

    The first two directories are from FF, the third is left over
    from my prior use of Netscape, and the fourth is from TB and contains
    only the files I have created, with no example files. The default
    profile names "have been changed to protect the innocent". ;-)

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  6. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On 06.11.2008 15:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    generate the following:? :
    > The date and time was 11/6/2008 12:42 AM, and on a whim, Ken Whiton
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >
    >>> i did. trouble is it presumes that tbird is under '~/.mozilla'.
    >>> where as mine is under '~/thunderbird/' and no 'chrome' directory.
    >>>

    >> The "chrome" directory doesn't exist by default. You have to
    >> create it the first time you create the userChrome.css and/or
    >> userContent.css file(s).
    >>

    > It doesn't? Wasn't there example files that used to be placed there, or
    > isn't that done any longer?

    correct, Zerry.
    There IS a chrome directory under the main installation *AND* a chrome
    directory under the Profiles directory as well as a chrome directory
    within the actual Profile itself.... as of versions 1.0.7 and 1.5.0.9

    It may well be that they have been hidden or removed from vers 2.*
    onwards - the devs /knowing/ what the user wants.....

    reg

  7. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On 06.11.2008 17:05, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    generate the following:? :
    > The date and time was 11/6/2008 7:17 AM, and on a whim, Chris Ilias
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >

    >> On 11/6/08 9:58 AM, _Terry R._ spoke thusly:
    >>
    >>> The date and time was 11/6/2008 12:42 AM, and on a whim, Ken Whiton
    >>> pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> It doesn't? Wasn't there example files that used to be placed there, or
    >>> isn't that done any longer?
    >>>

    >> In SeaMonkey, not Firefox or Thunderbird.
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit#css
    >>

    > I've never used SM, but I know I've seen example files in my FF & TB
    > profiles. Here is one discussion of the file even with FF3:
    > http://markmail.org/message/wbrrs42iitxashbw
    >
    > Here is another with FF2:
    > http://www.qassia.com/firefox-2-wort...sential-tweaks
    >
    > So if example files are included in the chrome folder, it must have been
    > a default at some point.

    it looks very much as if *Themes* may insert the UserChrome.css files -
    at least, it would seem here as if Mostly Crystal (CatThief) may have
    put them in my Chrome folders...

    reg

  8. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On 06.11.2008 20:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused BJ to generate
    the following:? :
    > Regarding the thread titled: "Re: Disable graphical quoting in
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.17"
    >
    > On 11/6/08 1:42 AM, Ken Whiton's opinion was expressed:
    >

    >> The "chrome" directory doesn't exist by default. You have to
    >> create it the first time you create the userChrome.css and/or
    >> userContent.css file(s).
    >>

    > I have an "Edit userChrome.css" selection on my tools menu, but that was
    > put there by the Mr. Tech Toolkit add on. It must have created the
    > userChrome.css file because there is an entry in it: @namespace
    > url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

    the Namespace line is a *required* placeholder, that must not be deleted
    in a UserChrome command set!

    reg

  9. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    The date and time was 11/7/2008 2:54 AM, and on a whim, squaredancer
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > On 06.11.2008 20:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused BJ to generate
    > the following:? :
    >> Regarding the thread titled: "Re: Disable graphical quoting in
    >> Thunderbird 2.0.0.17"
    >>
    >> On 11/6/08 1:42 AM, Ken Whiton's opinion was expressed:
    >>

    >>> The "chrome" directory doesn't exist by default. You have to
    >>> create it the first time you create the userChrome.css and/or
    >>> userContent.css file(s).
    >>>

    >> I have an "Edit userChrome.css" selection on my tools menu, but that was
    >> put there by the Mr. Tech Toolkit add on. It must have created the
    >> userChrome.css file because there is an entry in it: @namespace
    >> url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
    >>

    > the Namespace line is a *required* placeholder, that must not be deleted
    > in a UserChrome command set!
    >
    > reg

    But interestingly enough, I never had that line (or I removed it). It
    wasn't until I read in this group where someone stated it HAD to be
    there. But it didn't affect the file from doing its job, so I had to
    wonder exactly what its purpose was.

    follow-up set to mozilla.general

    --
    Terry R.

  10. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On 07.11.2008 15:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    generate the following:? :
    > The date and time was 11/7/2008 2:54 AM, and on a whim, squaredancer
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >

    >> On 06.11.2008 20:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused BJ to generate
    >> the following:? :
    >>
    >>> Regarding the thread titled: "Re: Disable graphical quoting in
    >>> Thunderbird 2.0.0.17"
    >>>
    >>> On 11/6/08 1:42 AM, Ken Whiton's opinion was expressed:

    >>> I have an "Edit userChrome.css" selection on my tools menu, but that was
    >>> put there by the Mr. Tech Toolkit add on. It must have created the
    >>> userChrome.css file because there is an entry in it: @namespace
    >>> url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
    >>>

    >> the Namespace line is a *required* placeholder, that must not be deleted
    >> in a UserChrome command set!
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > But interestingly enough, I never had that line (or I removed it). It
    > wasn't until I read in this group where someone stated it HAD to be
    > there. But it didn't affect the file from doing its job,

    I have also seen someplace, that this is true - dunno just WHY it is
    *supposed* to remain there ???

    > so I had to
    > wonder exactly what its purpose was.

    any reasonable explanations forthcoming???

    reg

  11. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    *-* On Fri, 07 Nov 2008, at 16:09:58 +0100,
    *-* In Article 1r6dnUVK6P-px4nUnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* squaredancer wrote
    *-* About Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    > On 07.11.2008 15:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R.
    > to generate the following:? :
    >> The date and time was 11/7/2008 2:54 AM, and on a whim,
    >> squaredancer pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> On 06.11.2008 20:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused BJ to
    >>> generate the following:? :

    >>> the Namespace line is a *required* placeholder, that must not be
    >>> deleted in a UserChrome command set!

    >> But interestingly enough, I never had that line (or I removed it).
    >> It wasn't until I read in this group where someone stated it HAD to
    >> be there. But it didn't affect the file from doing its job,

    > I have also seen someplace, that this is true - dunno just WHY it is
    > *supposed* to remain there ???

    >> so I had to wonder exactly what its purpose was.

    > any reasonable explanations forthcoming???

    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e0934c1600e5fd

    They're the same post, just two different ways of getting to it.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  12. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On 08.11.2008 07:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken Whiton to
    generate the following:? :
    > *-* On Fri, 07 Nov 2008, at 16:09:58 +0100,
    > *-* In Article 1r6dnUVK6P-px4nUnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* squaredancer wrote
    > *-* About Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
    >

    >> On 07.11.2008 15:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R.
    >> to generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> The date and time was 11/7/2008 2:54 AM, and on a whim,
    >>> squaredancer pounded out on the keyboard:

    >>> But interestingly enough, I never had that line (or I removed it).
    >>> It wasn't until I read in this group where someone stated it HAD to
    >>> be there. But it didn't affect the file from doing its job,
    >>>

    >> I have also seen someplace, that this is true - dunno just WHY it is
    >> *supposed* to remain there ???
    >>

    >>> so I had to wonder exactly what its purpose was.
    >>>

    >> any reasonable explanations forthcoming???

    > http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e0934c1600e5fd
    >
    > They're the same post, just two different ways of getting to it.
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    >
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    thanks for the link, Ken - but still very secretive and "hum-haw"

    reg

  13. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    The date and time was 11/8/2008 3:28 AM, and on a whim, squaredancer
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > On 08.11.2008 07:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken Whiton to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> *-* On Fri, 07 Nov 2008, at 16:09:58 +0100,
    >> *-* In Article 1r6dnUVK6P-px4nUnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >> *-* squaredancer wrote
    >> *-* About Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
    >>

    >>> On 07.11.2008 15:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R.
    >>> to generate the following:? :

    >>> I have also seen someplace, that this is true - dunno just WHY it is
    >>> *supposed* to remain there ???

    >>> any reasonable explanations forthcoming???

    >> http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e0934c1600e5fd
    >>
    >> They're the same post, just two different ways of getting to it.
    >>
    >> Ken Whiton
    >>
    >> FIDO: 1:132/152
    >> InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
    >>

    > thanks for the link, Ken - but still very secretive and "hum-haw"
    >
    > reg

    Agreed. I only questioned it a few months back, so that meant I didn't
    have the line up until around then and everything still worked properly.

    --
    Terry R.

  14. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On 08.11.2008 19:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    generate the following:? :
    > The date and time was 11/8/2008 3:28 AM, and on a whim, squaredancer
    > pounded out on the keyboard:
    >

    >> On 08.11.2008 07:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken Whiton to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> *-* On Fri, 07 Nov 2008, at 16:09:58 +0100,
    >>> *-* In Article 1r6dnUVK6P-px4nUnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >>> *-* squaredancer wrote
    >>> *-* About Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e0934c1600e5fd
    >>>
    >>> They're the same post, just two different ways of getting to it.
    >>>
    >>> Ken Whiton
    >>>
    >>> FIDO: 1:132/152
    >>> InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
    >>>

    >> thanks for the link, Ken - but still very secretive and "hum-haw"
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > Agreed. I only questioned it a few months back, so that meant I didn't
    > have the line up until around then and everything still worked properly.

    *lol* Terry - as case of:
    "the devs know what the USER wants - but are not sure what they want
    THEMSELVES"

    reg

  15. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:46:53 +0100
    squaredancer wrote:

    I've snipped everything rather than try to clean up that mess of
    quoting. It was about the @-namespace rule which shows up in CSS.

    I can't tell what you need answered. That thing's just the namespace
    at-rule which says that the CSS should apply to XUL, not terribly
    secretive. If omitting it from Thunderbird's CSS for XUL doesn't break
    anything, great, but including it can't hurt.

  16. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    squaredancer wrote:

    > *lol* Terry - as case of:
    > "the devs know what the USER wants - but are not sure what they want
    > THEMSELVES"

    if the devs know what the users want, then I wonder how
    many people set this to false:
    browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable ?

    Before anyone jumps on me, yes I know it has nothing to
    do with TB, but it runs along the same lines.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  17. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:37:11 -0800
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:

    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    > > *lol* Terry - as case of:
    > > "the devs know what the USER wants - but are not sure what they
    > > want THEMSELVES"

    > if the devs know what the users want, then I wonder how
    > many people set this to false:
    > browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable ?
    >
    > Before anyone jumps on me, yes I know it has nothing to
    > do with TB, but it runs along the same lines.

    Cool -- I didn't know SeaMonkey had that feature. With Firefox, I have
    to use an extension to get it. I think there are others, but the one
    I use is Tab Scope, .

  18. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On 11/8/08 8:37 PM, _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> *lol* Terry - as case of:
    >> "the devs know what the USER wants - but are not sure what they want
    >> THEMSELVES"

    > if the devs know what the users want, then I wonder how many people set
    > this to false: browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable ?
    >
    > Before anyone jumps on me, yes I know it has nothing to do with TB, but
    > it runs along the same lines.

    I did a poll on seamonkey.ilias.ca asking whether people liked the
    feature or not, and the majority liked it.

    --
    Chris Ilias

  19. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    On 09.11.2008 03:29, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused »Q« to
    generate the following:? :
    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:37:11 -0800
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >

    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>

    >>> *lol* Terry - as case of:
    >>> "the devs know what the USER wants - but are not sure what they
    >>> want THEMSELVES"
    >>>

    >> if the devs know what the users want, then I wonder how
    >> many people set this to false:
    >> browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable ?
    >>
    >> Before anyone jumps on me, yes I know it has nothing to
    >> do with TB, but it runs along the same lines.
    >>

    > Cool -- I didn't know SeaMonkey had that feature. With Firefox, I have
    > to use an extension to get it. I think there are others, but the one
    > I use is Tab Scope, .

    Q - did you look under about:config (in TB) to see if your extension has
    put that line there??
    (browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable)

    reg

  20. Re: Disable graphical quoting in Thunderbird 2.0.0.17

    In ,
    squaredancer wrote:

    > On 09.11.2008 03:29, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused »Q« to
    > generate the following:? :
    > > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:37:11 -0800
    > > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I wonder how many people set this to false:
    > >> browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable ?
    > >>
    > >> Before anyone jumps on me, yes I know it has nothing to
    > >> do with TB, but it runs along the same lines.

    > > Cool -- I didn't know SeaMonkey had that feature. With Firefox, I
    > > have to use an extension to get it. I think there are others, but
    > > the one I use is Tab Scope, .

    > Q - did you look under about:config (in TB) to see if your extension
    > has put that line there??
    > (browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable)

    Nope. The extension is only for Firefox. I didn't even know
    Thunderbird had tabs.

    --
    »Q«
    Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.