close the original email when you click Reply ?? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on close the original email when you click Reply ?? - Mozilla ; How do you config Thunderbird to close the original email when you click Reply ??...

  1. close the original email when you click Reply ??

    How do you config Thunderbird to close the original email when you click
    Reply ??

  2. Re: close the original email when you click Reply ??

    On 11/2/2008 4:02 AM India Time, _Pj Germain_ wrote:

    > How do you config Thunderbird to close the original email when you click
    > Reply ??

    What do you want to appear in the message pane then?

  3. Re: close the original email when you click Reply ??

    On 11/1/2008 5:32 PM, Pj Germain wrote:
    > How do you config Thunderbird to close the original email when you click
    > Reply ??

    If you're using the three pane view, the one that shows folders along
    the side, a list of subjects in the upper right, and the content of the
    current note in the lower right than There isn't anything to "close"
    after sending a reply. That is how most of my users use Thunderbird.

    BUT, if you've hidden the content pane in the lower right, by dragging
    the horizontal divider all the way to the bottom, then you must be
    double-clicking on notes to open them in a separate window. That is the
    reason you think something should be closed. Only one of my users
    prefers to do things that way and I don't think she would always want
    the window automatically closed. Sometimes she still want to forward
    the note or print it, or just leave it open as a reminder.

    If you use the three pane view the need to close anything goes away.

    Bernie

  4. Re: close the original email when you click Reply ??

    Bernie wrote:
    > On 11/1/2008 5:32 PM, Pj Germain wrote:
    >> How do you config Thunderbird to close the original email when you click
    >> Reply ??

    > If you're using the three pane view, the one that shows folders along
    > the side, a list of subjects in the upper right, and the content of the
    > current note in the lower right than There isn't anything to "close"
    > after sending a reply. That is how most of my users use Thunderbird.
    >
    > BUT, if you've hidden the content pane in the lower right, by dragging
    > the horizontal divider all the way to the bottom, then you must be
    > double-clicking on notes to open them in a separate window. That is the
    > reason you think something should be closed. Only one of my users
    > prefers to do things that way and I don't think she would always want
    > the window automatically closed. Sometimes she still want to forward
    > the note or print it, or just leave it open as a reminder.
    >
    > If you use the three pane view the need to close anything goes away.

    Yet another example of how Thunderbird is only convenient when used a
    certain way?

    The way Pj wants it to work is this. If you're reading from the preview
    pane, clicking Reply opens a message composition window. If you're
    reading from a message window, you can set Thunderbird to do one of two
    things: its usual behavior of leaving the message window open and
    opening a composition window, or closing the message window when opening
    the composition window.

    I used to use an extension that included the ability to set this. I'm
    not sure which one it was; it may have been Buttons!.

    --
    David
    Stardate 8851.8

  5. Re: close the original email when you click Reply ??

    Pj Germain wrote, On 02/11/08 04:02:
    > How do you config Thunderbird to close the original email when you click
    > Reply ??

    "http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.thunderbird/msg/2d894f12cc67e5cd"

+ Reply to Thread