Firefox 3 already in use. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox 3 already in use. - Mozilla ; Hi Developers, Can you help me? I am using an XP SP3, with FF3, and in the last few days my firefox is started to crash very often. I have tried the followings: - there is no running task on ...

  1. Firefox 3 already in use.

    Hi Developers,

    Can you help me? I am using an XP SP3, with FF3, and in the last few
    days my firefox is started to crash very often.

    I have tried the followings:

    - there is no running task on XP Task manager, but my computer says
    that Firefox 3 is already in use.

    - When I am restarting my computer is still showing the error message
    FF3 is already in use.

    - I search the net, and found the parent.lock problem on FF3, but I
    can't find the parent.lock or lock file, its not in my used profile.
    (I also checked the hidden files)

    - I uninstalled the FF3, restarted my machine, and then reinstalled:
    still doesn't work.

    - I tried to start in safe mode, and it start only, when i am creating
    a new profile. I have a lot of personal links/settings in the firefox
    directory so i dont want to lose them, do you have any idea, what to
    do? Full reinstall of my XP?

    Is there any tweak, what can optimize my firefox?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Firefox 3 already in use.

    On 10/30/08 12:17 AM, _newsopener@gmail.com_ spoke thusly:
    > Hi Developers,
    >
    > Can you help me? I am using an XP SP3, with FF3, and in the last few
    > days my firefox is started to crash very often.
    >
    > I have tried the followings:
    >
    > - there is no running task on XP Task manager, but my computer says
    > that Firefox 3 is already in use.
    >
    > - When I am restarting my computer is still showing the error message
    > FF3 is already in use.
    >
    > - I search the net, and found the parent.lock problem on FF3, but I
    > can't find the parent.lock or lock file, its not in my used profile.
    > (I also checked the hidden files)
    >
    > - I uninstalled the FF3, restarted my machine, and then reinstalled:
    > still doesn't work.
    >
    > - I tried to start in safe mode, and it start only, when i am creating
    > a new profile. I have a lot of personal links/settings in the firefox
    > directory so i dont want to lose them, do you have any idea, what to
    > do? Full reinstall of my XP?
    >
    > Is there any tweak, what can optimize my firefox?

    See if this helps:

    P.S. This is a user-to-user support newsgroup. The large majority of
    contributors are not developers.
    --
    Chris Ilias

  3. Re: Firefox 3 already in use.

    > - there is no running task on XP Task manager, but my computer says
    > that Firefox 3 is already in use.
    >
    > - When I am restarting my computer is still showing the error message
    > FF3 is already in use.
    >
    > - I search the net, and found the parent.lock problem on FF3, but I
    > can't find the parent.lock or lock file, its not in my used profile.
    > (I also checked the hidden files)
    >
    > - I uninstalled the FF3, restarted my machine, and then reinstalled:
    > still doesn't work.

    Did you change the owner or permission of Firefox's profile folder?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.7

  4. Re: Firefox 3 already in use.

    newsopener@gmail.com scribbled the following,on 29-Oct-08 10:17 p.m.:
    > Hi Developers,
    >
    > Can you help me? I am using an XP SP3, with FF3, and in the last few
    > days my firefox is started to crash very often.
    >
    > I have tried the followings:
    >
    > - there is no running task on XP Task manager, but my computer says
    > that Firefox 3 is already in use.
    >
    > - When I am restarting my computer is still showing the error message
    > FF3 is already in use.
    >
    > - I search the net, and found the parent.lock problem on FF3, but I
    > can't find the parent.lock or lock file, its not in my used profile.
    > (I also checked the hidden files)
    >
    > - I uninstalled the FF3, restarted my machine, and then reinstalled:
    > still doesn't work.
    >
    > - I tried to start in safe mode, and it start only, when i am creating
    > a new profile. I have a lot of personal links/settings in the firefox
    > directory so i dont want to lose them, do you have any idea, what to
    > do? Full reinstall of my XP?
    >
    > Is there any tweak, what can optimize my firefox?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Exit Firefox and go to your profile directory and see if a file
    "parent.lock" is there. This is the file that says Firefox is running -
    delete it.

    --
    There are three kinds of people -- those that can count and those that
    can't.

  5. Re: Firefox 3 already in use.

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:13:53 -0600, John Spence
    wrote:

    >newsopener@gmail.com scribbled the following,on 29-Oct-08 10:17 p.m.:
    >> Hi Developers,
    >>
    >> Can you help me? I am using an XP SP3, with FF3, and in the last few
    >> days my firefox is started to crash very often.
    >>
    >> I have tried the followings:
    >>
    >> - there is no running task on XP Task manager, but my computer says
    >> that Firefox 3 is already in use.
    >>
    >> - When I am restarting my computer is still showing the error message
    >> FF3 is already in use.
    >>
    >> - I search the net, and found the parent.lock problem on FF3, but I
    >> can't find the parent.lock or lock file, its not in my used profile.
    >> (I also checked the hidden files)
    >>
    >> - I uninstalled the FF3, restarted my machine, and then reinstalled:
    >> still doesn't work.
    >>
    >> - I tried to start in safe mode, and it start only, when i am creating
    >> a new profile. I have a lot of personal links/settings in the firefox
    >> directory so i dont want to lose them, do you have any idea, what to
    >> do? Full reinstall of my XP?
    >>
    >> Is there any tweak, what can optimize my firefox?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    >Exit Firefox and go to your profile directory and see if a file
    >"parent.lock" is there. This is the file that says Firefox is running -
    >delete it.

    This error can happen when Firefox cannot find the profile folder.

    Run firefox.exe -profilemanager and insure that the profile directory
    being pointed to is correct.

  6. Re: Firefox 3 already in use.

    On Oct 30, 1:07*pm, Lenster wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:13:53 -0600, John Spence
    > wrote:
    >

    > >newsope...@gmail.com scribbled the following,on 29-Oct-08 10:17 p.m.:
    > >> Hi Developers,

    > >> Can you help me? I am using an XP SP3, with FF3, and in the last few
    > >> days my firefox is started to crash very often.

    > >> I have tried the followings:

    > >> - there is no running task on XP Task manager, but my computer says
    > >> that Firefox 3 is already in use.

    > >> - When I am restarting my computer is still showing the error message
    > >> FF3 is already in use.

    > >> - I search the net, and found the parent.lock problem on FF3, but I
    > >> can't find the parent.lock or lock file, its not in my used profile.
    > >> (I also checked the hidden files)

    > >> - I uninstalled the FF3, restarted my machine, and then reinstalled:
    > >> still doesn't work.

    > >> - I tried to start in safe mode, and it start only, when i am creating
    > >> a new profile. I have a lot of personal links/settings in the firefox
    > >> directory so i dont want to lose them, do you have any idea, what to
    > >> do? Full reinstall of my XP?

    > >> Is there any tweak, what can optimize my firefox?

    > >> Thanks!

    > >Exit Firefox and go to your profile directory and see if a file
    > >"parent.lock" is there. This is the file that says Firefox is running -
    > >delete it.

    > This error can happen when Firefox cannot find the profile folder.
    >
    > Run firefox.exe -profilemanager and insure that the profile directory
    > being pointed to is correct.- Hide quoted text -

    I am having the same problem. I updated to SP3 running XP
    Downloaded Firefox 3.04 the popup I get is titled Close Firefox
    It has a ? on a blue background circle.

    Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
    window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
    your system.

    Task manager shows nothing running.
    Restart click on firefox and the same thing happens.

    How can you check anything inside of Firefox when you can't open it?
    You just get this message over and over again. You uninstall. You
    don't want to uninstall removing your settings. That means all your
    bookmarks.
    Can't we export our bookmarks then do a uninstall and remove all
    personal settings. Then do a clean install of firefox and import our
    bookmarks again? Or am I out of my mind again/still?

    By uninstalling and allowing removing of our personal settings
    wouldn't that wipe any personal settings in a profile or where ever?

  7. Re: Firefox 3 already in use.

    On Nov 23, 10:16*pm, scri8e wrote:
    > On Oct 30, 1:07*pm, Lenster wrote:
    >

    > > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:13:53 -0600, John Spence
    > > wrote:

    > > >newsope...@gmail.com scribbled the following,on 29-Oct-08 10:17 p.m.:

    > > >Exit Firefox and go to your profile directory and see if a file
    > > >"parent.lock" is there. This is the file that says Firefox is running -
    > > >delete it.

    > > This error can happen when Firefox cannot find the profile folder.

    > > Run firefox.exe -profilemanager and insure that the profile directory
    > > being pointed to is correct.- Hide quoted text -

    > I am having the same problem. I updated to SP3 running XP
    > Downloaded Firefox 3.04 the popup I get is titled Close Firefox
    > It has a ? on a blue background circle.
    >
    > Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
    > window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
    > your system.
    >
    > Task manager shows nothing running.
    > Restart click on firefox and the same thing happens.
    >
    > How can you check anything inside of Firefox when you can't open it?
    > You just get this message over and over again. You uninstall. You
    > don't want to uninstall removing your settings. That means all your
    > bookmarks.
    > Can't we export our bookmarks then do a uninstall and remove all
    > personal settings. Then do a clean install of firefox and import our
    > bookmarks again? Or am I out of my mind again/still?
    >
    > By uninstalling and allowing removing of our personal settings
    > wouldn't that wipe any personal settings in a profile or where ever?- Hide quoted text -

    I said that wrong. You would go to another browser and import the
    bookmarks from your firefox. They would be stored on that browser for
    you. You then go and uninstall Firefox completely. Personal settings
    and all.

+ Reply to Thread