how to get filters to run? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on how to get filters to run? - Mozilla ; Seems like not long ago my filters worked fine. But now they don't work at all in newsgroups. I'm trying to make it such that postings from some knucklehead don't appear in a ng listing. I've done filters before and ...

  1. how to get filters to run?

    Seems like not long ago my filters worked fine. But now they don't
    work at all in newsgroups.

    I'm trying to make it such that postings from some knucklehead don't
    appear in a ng listing.

    I've done filters before and I don't think I'm screwing up there but
    the filters just don't work.

    Then I noticed in the Tools menu that the selection "Run filters on
    folder" are grayed out. I've selected a folder -- surely I'm doing
    something wrong. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

  2. Re: how to get filters to run?

    piovere wrote:
    > Seems like not long ago my filters worked fine. But now they don't
    > work at all in newsgroups.
    >
    > I'm trying to make it such that postings from some knucklehead don't
    > appear in a ng listing.
    >
    > I've done filters before and I don't think I'm screwing up there but
    > the filters just don't work.
    >
    > Then I noticed in the Tools menu that the selection "Run filters on
    > folder" are grayed out. I've selected a folder -- surely I'm doing
    > something wrong. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

    filters for newsgroups only work on new and incoming
    posting. Not ones already there.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: how to get filters to run?

    On Oct 18, 5:13 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:
    > piovere wrote:
    > > Seems like not long ago my filters worked fine. But now they don't
    > > work at all in newsgroups.

    > > I'm trying to make it such that postings from some knucklehead don't
    > > appear in a ng listing.

    > > I've done filters before and I don't think I'm screwing up there but
    > > the filters just don't work.

    > > Then I noticed in the Tools menu that the selection "Run filters on
    > > folder" are grayed out. I've selected a folder -- surely I'm doing
    > > something wrong. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

    > filters for newsgroups only work on new and incoming
    > posting. Not ones already there.
    >
    > --
    > *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    > help!!!! Emails to me may become public
    >
    > Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speech
    > Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    > except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    > newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.
    >
    > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles...om/potamus.htm

    Sir, thanks for responding but it still doesn't work. I unsubscribed
    from a ng (leaving the filter), re subscribed and all the postings
    that should be filtered are there, not filtered at all. How does one
    EVER get to use the "Run filters on Folder"? I've never yet found a
    condition where it will let me use it. Thanks.

  4. Re: how to get filters to run?

    piovere wrote:
    > On Oct 18, 5:13 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >> piovere wrote:
    >>> Seems like not long ago my filters worked fine. But now they don't
    >>> work at all in newsgroups.
    >>> I'm trying to make it such that postings from some knucklehead don't
    >>> appear in a ng listing.
    >>> I've done filters before and I don't think I'm screwing up there but
    >>> the filters just don't work.
    >>> Then I noticed in the Tools menu that the selection "Run filters on
    >>> folder" are grayed out. I've selected a folder -- surely I'm doing
    >>> something wrong. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

    >> filters for newsgroups only work on new and incoming
    >> posting. Not ones already there.
    >>
    >> --
    >> *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    >> help!!!! Emails to me may become public
    >>
    >> Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speech
    >> Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    >> except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    >> newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.
    >>
    >> Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles...om/potamus.htm

    > Sir, thanks for responding but it still doesn't work. I unsubscribed
    > from a ng (leaving the filter), re subscribed and all the postings
    > that should be filtered are there, not filtered at all. How does one
    > EVER get to use the "Run filters on Folder"? I've never yet found a
    > condition where it will let me use it. Thanks.

    You have to do a bit more than that to get the headers to be "new", I
    think - you also need to go into your Profile and delete the
    *.msf and *.dat files in the News/server name folder.

    Simply unsubscribing doesn't do that.

    --
    - Rufus

  5. Re: how to get filters to run?

    1.156 has written on 10/18/2008 9:58 PM:
    > It does run on email folders -- but why is the option
    > available in ng when it doesn't work there at all?

    I'm not offered the opportunity to run the filer on a folder when I'm in
    a newsgroup folder.

  6. Re: how to get filters to run?

    Rufus wrote:

    > You have to do a bit more than that to get the headers to be "new", I
    > think - you also need to go into your Profile and delete the
    > *.msf and *.dat files in the News/server name folder.

    just remove the msf files

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: how to get filters to run?

    On Oct 18, 11:55 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:
    > Rufus wrote:
    > > You have to do a bit more than that to get the headers to be "new", I
    > > think - you also need to go into your Profile and delete the
    > > *.msf and *.dat files in the News/server name folder.

    > just remove the msf files
    >
    > --
    > *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    > help!!!! Emails to me may become public
    >
    > Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speech
    > Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    > except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    > newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.
    >
    > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles...om/potamus.htm

    Thank you very much. That worked.

+ Reply to Thread