Security ATT/Yahoo - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Security ATT/Yahoo - Mozilla ; FRANK Macintosh OS 10.4.11 Thunderbird 2.0.0.17 Wireless connection via 2Wire modem ISP ATT/Yahoo I have received this notice from ATT/Yahoo: Dear AT&T Yahoo! Customer: We noticed that you are accessing email using *non-secure* settings in your email software. We would ...

  1. Security ATT/Yahoo

    FRANK
    Macintosh OS 10.4.11
    Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
    Wireless connection via 2Wire modem ISP ATT/Yahoo

    I have received this notice from ATT/Yahoo:

    Dear AT&T Yahoo! Customer:
    We noticed that you are accessing email using *non-secure* settings in
    your email software.
    We would like to ensure that your AT&T Yahoo! Member ID, password, and
    email messages are transmitted *securely* between your mail software
    (such as Outlook or Outlook Express) and the AT&T Yahoo! Mail servers.
    In order to meet this need, please enable SSL
    via the instructions that are
    available on the Help site .
    Since multiple email notifications have already been sent out about
    this, we request that you *please make the necessary changes
    immediately. Remember, you need to make these changes if you want to
    continue to send/receive email using a mail client.*

    Thank you for your cooperation,
    AT&T Yahoo! Customer Support

    I have visited the ATT/Yahoo link to the instruction at the Help site
    and followed their instructions (several times) and the result is that I
    cannot send or receive e-mail. The Thunderbird account and server
    settings are set for SSL, but when the box "Use secure authentication"
    per their instructions is checked email stops working. After some time
    with the ATT Help person via Internet the problem remains, and now they
    have dumped the cause of the problem on Thunderbird. I have resumed my
    previous settings. The last line of the ATT/Yahoo notice would seem to
    indicate that I must comply to continue service. Any suggestions. I
    will note to you that I am not a technology whiz.
    Regards, Frank

  2. Re: Security ATT/Yahoo

    Date: 10/18/2008 12:22 PM, Author: F.P. SKOCILICH Wrote:
    > FRANK
    > Macintosh OS 10.4.11
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
    > Wireless connection via 2Wire modem ISP ATT/Yahoo
    >
    > I have received this notice from ATT/Yahoo:
    >
    > Dear AT&T Yahoo! Customer:
    > We noticed that you are accessing email using *non-secure* settings in
    > your email software.
    > We would like to ensure that your AT&T Yahoo! Member ID, password, and
    > email messages are transmitted *securely* between your mail software
    > (such as Outlook or Outlook Express) and the AT&T Yahoo! Mail servers.
    > In order to meet this need, please enable SSL
    > via the instructions that are
    > available on the Help site .
    > Since multiple email notifications have already been sent out about
    > this, we request that you *please make the necessary changes
    > immediately. Remember, you need to make these changes if you want to
    > continue to send/receive email using a mail client.*
    >
    > Thank you for your cooperation,
    > AT&T Yahoo! Customer Support
    >
    > I have visited the ATT/Yahoo link to the instruction at the Help site
    > and followed their instructions (several times) and the result is that I
    > cannot send or receive e-mail. The Thunderbird account and server
    > settings are set for SSL, but when the box "Use secure authentication"
    > per their instructions is checked email stops working. After some time
    > with the ATT Help person via Internet the problem remains, and now they
    > have dumped the cause of the problem on Thunderbird. I have resumed my
    > previous settings. The last line of the ATT/Yahoo notice would seem to
    > indicate that I must comply to continue service. Any suggestions. I
    > will note to you that I am not a technology whiz.
    > Regards, Frank

    When you use a secure connection you are usually required to use a different
    port than the default 110. You will need to set that in the server settings
    dialog box next to the server name. They may also specify a different server
    name, in my case smtpauth.earthlink.net replaced the old smtp.earthlink.net.

    I can't see the instructions in your link because I don't have an ATT account.
    Detail what you have done and maybe someone here uses ATT and can see if you are
    missing something in the instructions. If ATT has a user forum, sometimes other
    users are more helpful than the corporate "help".

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  3. Re: Security ATT/Yahoo

    On 10/18/2008 12:22 PM eastern, F.P. SKOCILICH wrote:
    > FRANK
    > Macintosh OS 10.4.11
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.17
    > Wireless connection via 2Wire modem ISP ATT/Yahoo
    >
    > I have received this notice from ATT/Yahoo:
    >
    > Dear AT&T Yahoo! Customer:
    > We noticed that you are accessing email using *non-secure* settings in
    > your email software.
    > We would like to ensure that your AT&T Yahoo! Member ID, password, and
    > email messages are transmitted *securely* between your mail software
    > (such as Outlook or Outlook Express) and the AT&T Yahoo! Mail servers.
    > In order to meet this need, please enable SSL
    > via the instructions that are
    > available on the Help site .
    > Since multiple email notifications have already been sent out about
    > this, we request that you *please make the necessary changes
    > immediately. Remember, you need to make these changes if you want to
    > continue to send/receive email using a mail client.*
    >
    > Thank you for your cooperation,
    > AT&T Yahoo! Customer Support
    >
    > I have visited the ATT/Yahoo link to the instruction at the Help site
    > and followed their instructions (several times) and the result is that I
    > cannot send or receive e-mail. The Thunderbird account and server
    > settings are set for SSL, but when the box "Use secure authentication"
    > per their instructions is checked email stops working. After some time
    > with the ATT Help person via Internet the problem remains, and now they
    > have dumped the cause of the problem on Thunderbird. I have resumed my
    > previous settings. The last line of the ATT/Yahoo notice would seem to
    > indicate that I must comply to continue service. Any suggestions. I
    > will note to you that I am not a technology whiz.
    > Regards, Frank

    Use the SSL settings, but do *NOT* check "Use secure authentication".
    CTinCT

+ Reply to Thread