No prompt to install missing character sets - Mozilla

This is a discussion on No prompt to install missing character sets - Mozilla ; Having performed a minimalist reinstall of Windows, by default the system only has the English/Latin character set installed. At first I didn't notice this, but as I visited more and more pages in Firefox, I noticed lots of placeholder characters ...

  1. No prompt to install missing character sets

    Having performed a minimalist reinstall of Windows, by default the system
    only has the English/Latin character set installed. At first I didn't notice
    this, but as I visited more and more pages in Firefox, I noticed lots of
    placeholder characters (FF uses a grid of 0s and 1s) where there should have
    been international characters (e.g. East Asian pictographs). On the previous
    install I believe these character sets were installed through a prompt in
    IE. But so far I haven't used IE on this install and would like to keep it
    that way. Is it possible for Firefox to make these prompts and have the
    character sets installed?

  2. Re: No prompt to install missing character sets

    On 18/10/08 14:52, kev wrote:
    > Having performed a minimalist reinstall of Windows, by default the system
    > only has the English/Latin character set installed. At first I didn't notice
    > this, but as I visited more and more pages in Firefox, I noticed lots of
    > placeholder characters (FF uses a grid of 0s and 1s) where there should have
    > been international characters (e.g. East Asian pictographs). On the previous
    > install I believe these character sets were installed through a prompt in
    > IE. But so far I haven't used IE on this install and would like to keep it
    > that way. Is it possible for Firefox to make these prompts and have the
    > character sets installed?

    The problem is not with Firefox, it's with Windows. What you should do
    is install appropriate fonts for whatever character sets you want to
    display. I have quit Windows in favour of Linux, but I seem to remember
    that such fonts used to be available on the Windows Update site, as part
    of "language packs" for whichever Windows version you are currently
    using (assuming that it isn't so obsolete that all language packs for it
    have been removed from the Windows Update site).

    A word of caution: Maybe you know it, but repeating it does no harm: the
    Windows Update site _must_ be visited with Internet Explorer, not
    Firefox (or with the IE Tab extension in IE mode, which is actually
    Internet Explorer running in a Firefox tab).

    Avoiding IE in general is good, but avoiding it so much that you never
    install Windows updates is overdoing it. Whenever Windows publishes
    security & stability upgrades to whatever version you're running, you
    should install them, even if it means running a short IE session for the
    purpose of visiting the Windows Update site. I believe restricting IE
    (or IE Tab in IE mode) to visits to the Windows Update site is actually
    the lesser of two evils compared to never upgrading Windows because
    doing it requires using IE.

    Of course, if you can find appropriate fonts (for whichever non-Latin
    language you're using) from other trustworthy sources than the Windows
    Update site, then IE is probably not needed to install them: IIRC, just
    dropping them in your fonts directory is enough. (Maybe there are some
    on your Windows Install CD?)

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    You need no longer worry about the future. This time tomorrow you'll
    be dead.

+ Reply to Thread