Profile Q... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Profile Q... - Mozilla ; I'm replacing the HDD in a system, and I want to copy everything in FF 3.03 to the new drive on the same system. I have access to both drives at the same time, and can boot either one. Is ...

  1. Profile Q...

    I'm replacing the HDD in a system, and I want to copy everything in FF 3.03
    to the new drive on the same system. I have access to both drives at the
    same time, and can boot either one.

    Is there a way to boot the new drive and copy all the info from the old
    drive/FF install?

    What's my best approach here?

    TIA

    -John O

  2. Re: Profile Q...

    Oh, Win XP Pro SP3...

    "JohnO" wrote in message
    news:Cv2dnU7C198df2XVnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > I'm replacing the HDD in a system, and I want to copy everything in FF
    > 3.03 to the new drive on the same system. I have access to both drives at
    > the same time, and can boot either one.
    >
    > Is there a way to boot the new drive and copy all the info from the old
    > drive/FF install?
    >
    > What's my best approach here?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > -John O

  3. Re: Profile Q...

    On 10/17/08 3:07 PM, _JohnO_ spoke thusly:

    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...s+and+settings

    --
    Chris Ilias

  4. Re: Profile Q...

    The date and time was 10/17/2008 12:07 PM, and on a whim, JohnO pounded
    out on the keyboard:

    > I'm replacing the HDD in a system, and I want to copy everything in FF 3.03
    > to the new drive on the same system. I have access to both drives at the
    > same time, and can boot either one.
    >
    > Is there a way to boot the new drive and copy all the info from the old
    > drive/FF install?
    >
    > What's my best approach here?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > -John O

    Hi John,

    If you're replacing the existing drive with a new one, go the the hard
    drive manufacturers website and download their imaging tool. A lot of
    times it comes with the drive unless you purchased a bare drive.

    If you're going to keep the existing drive and add the second drive just
    to move programs and data over, see here:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbir...older_Location

    I have three hard drives on my system; one has 5 OS's, another has data,
    another has my programs, with each of them keeping redundant backup
    copies of the other, so if one goes down, I can quickly recover. I had
    three hard drives die in a year quite some time back (Deskstar class
    action suit), so I even make external backups once a month in addition
    to the internal copies. You can't have enough backups IMO.

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: Profile Q...

    Date: 10/17/2008 3:08 PM, Author: JohnO Wrote:
    > Oh, Win XP Pro SP3...
    >
    > "JohnO" wrote in message
    > news:Cv2dnU7C198df2XVnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> I'm replacing the HDD in a system, and I want to copy everything in FF
    >> 3.03 to the new drive on the same system. I have access to both drives at
    >> the same time, and can boot either one.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to boot the new drive and copy all the info from the old
    >> drive/FF install?
    >>
    >> What's my best approach here?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> -John O

    As you state that you can boot from either drive, I assume both have the OS
    installed.

    If the path in "Documents and Settings" is the same you can just copy the whole
    "Mozilla" tree to the "Application Data" folder on the new drive.

    (Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\????????.ProfileName)

    C:\Documents and Settings\[User_Name]\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\????????.ProfileName

    If the paths are different (username "JohnO" in one and "John O" in the other)
    you should refer to the link Chris provided.

    In a command prompt window type "set". Make sure windows shows HOMEDRIVE,
    HOMEPATH, and APPDATA referring to the drive you want as the new boot drive.

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  6. Re: Profile Q...

    "G. R. Woodring" wrote in message
    > Date: 10/17/2008 3:08 PM, Author: JohnO Wrote:
    >> Oh, Win XP Pro SP3...
    >>
    >> "JohnO" wrote in message
    >> news:Cv2dnU7C198df2XVnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>> I'm replacing the HDD in a system, and I want to copy everything in FF
    >>> 3.03 to the new drive on the same system. I have access to both drives
    >>> at the same time, and can boot either one.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to boot the new drive and copy all the info from the old
    >>> drive/FF install?
    >>>
    >>> What's my best approach here?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> -John O
    >>>

    > As you state that you can boot from either drive, I assume both have the
    > OS installed.
    >
    > If the path in "Documents and Settings" is the same you can just copy the
    > whole "Mozilla" tree to the "Application Data" folder on the new drive.
    >
    > (Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\????????.ProfileName)
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\[User_Name]\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\????????.ProfileName
    >
    > If the paths are different (username "JohnO" in one and "John O" in the
    > other) you should refer to the link Chris provided.
    >
    > In a command prompt window type "set". Make sure windows shows HOMEDRIVE,
    > HOMEPATH, and APPDATA referring to the drive you want as the new boot
    > drive.
    >

    > --
    > G. R. Woodring

    Copied the contents of the profile folder to the new hdd, and all is well.
    Cool feature, saved me a bunch of time.

    Thanks everyone!!!

    -John O

+ Reply to Thread