Reply Headers unique to mail and news - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Reply Headers unique to mail and news - Mozilla ; I use TB 2.0.0.17 for mail accounts and for news servers and have several identities set up. Identities used for news are not used for email. I want an appropriate attribution to be created for replies to newsgroups but how ...

  1. Reply Headers unique to mail and news

    I use TB 2.0.0.17 for mail accounts and for news servers and have
    several identities set up. Identities used for news are not used for email.

    I want an appropriate attribution to be created for replies to
    newsgroups but how to achieve this seemed surprisingly difficult to find
    - though I have now configured it by setting mailnews.reply_header_type
    = 2. (I couldn't get this to stick using the config editor so edited
    user.js to force it and this is now reflected in the config editor.)

    However, this form of attribution now also appears in replies to emails!
    It appears that mailnews.reply_header_originalmessage is being
    superceded universally by the reply header I want to use for news.
    Surely this can't be expected behaviour.

    Where is my understanding flawed and how do I put matters right?

    --
    JonPhred

  2. Re: Reply Headers unique to mail and news

    JonPhred wrote:
    > I use TB 2.0.0.17 for mail accounts and for news servers and have
    > several identities set up. Identities used for news are not used for
    > email.
    >
    > I want an appropriate attribution to be created for replies to
    > newsgroups but how to achieve this seemed surprisingly difficult to
    > find - though I have now configured it by setting
    > mailnews.reply_header_type = 2. (I couldn't get this to stick using
    > the config editor so edited user.js to force it and this is now
    > reflected in the config editor.)
    >
    > However, this form of attribution now also appears in replies to
    > emails! It appears that mailnews.reply_header_originalmessage is
    > being superceded universally by the reply header I want to use for
    > news. Surely this can't be expected behaviour.
    >
    > Where is my understanding flawed and how do I put matters right?

    You can use this extension

    "Change quote and reply format" :
    "https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/changequote-0.6.0.2.xpi".
    After installing extension goto Tools > Extensions > Change quote and
    reply format > Preference and select Reply header for Mail and Newsgroup.

    "https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/changequote-en.html"

  3. Re: Reply Headers unique to mail and news

    JonPhred on 10/17/2008 9:29 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    > I use TB 2.0.0.17 for mail accounts and for news servers and have
    > several identities set up. Identities used for news are not used for email.
    >
    > I want an appropriate attribution to be created for replies to
    > newsgroups but how to achieve this seemed surprisingly difficult to find
    > - though I have now configured it by setting mailnews.reply_header_type
    > = 2. (I couldn't get this to stick using the config editor so edited
    > user.js to force it and this is now reflected in the config editor.)
    >
    > However, this form of attribution now also appears in replies to emails!
    > It appears that mailnews.reply_header_originalmessage is being
    > superceded universally by the reply header I want to use for news.
    > Surely this can't be expected behaviour.
    >
    > Where is my understanding flawed and how do I put matters right?

    mailnews.reply_header_originalmessage is only used for Forwarding. The
    other reply_header preferences are used for general messaging.

    --
    Ron K.

  4. Re: Reply Headers unique to mail and news

    On 17/10/2008 17:26, Nir wrote:
    > JonPhred wrote:
    >> I use TB 2.0.0.17 for mail accounts and for news servers and have
    >> several identities set up. Identities used for news are not used for
    >> email.
    >>
    >> I want an appropriate attribution to be created for replies to
    >> newsgroups but how to achieve this seemed surprisingly difficult to
    >> find - though I have now configured it by setting
    >> mailnews.reply_header_type = 2. (I couldn't get this to stick using
    >> the config editor so edited user.js to force it and this is now
    >> reflected in the config editor.)
    >>
    >> However, this form of attribution now also appears in replies to
    >> emails! It appears that mailnews.reply_header_originalmessage is
    >> being superceded universally by the reply header I want to use for
    >> news. Surely this can't be expected behaviour.
    >>
    >> Where is my understanding flawed and how do I put matters right?
    >>

    > You can use this extension
    >
    > "Change quote and reply format" :
    > "https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/changequote-0.6.0.2.xpi".
    > After installing extension goto Tools > Extensions > Change quote and
    > reply format > Preference and select Reply header for Mail and Newsgroup.
    >
    > "https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/changequote-en.html"

    Thanks for your response - but I'm stunned that an extension is required
    to be able to use "On date, author wrote:" as the attribution for a
    newsgroup reply but not use that same format for replies to emails. Does
    everyone using TB for both mail and news use that extension, I wonder?

    I hadn't realised that emails and newsgroups accounts all get lumped
    together as "general messaging" - even though they are not created
    equally. Having to find and use an extension for this simple feature
    adds to the impression created by the difficulty in discovering how to
    create an attribution that the news client side of TB is regarded very
    much as a poor relation.

    The "native" solution would appear to be to create the attribution (as
    an unattributed post on usenet is not best practice) and delete it in
    every reply to an email.

    --
    JonPhred

  5. Re: Reply Headers unique to mail and news

    Nir wrote:

    > "Change quote and reply format" :
    > "https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/changequote-0.6.0.2.xpi".
    > After installing extension goto Tools > Extensions > Change quote and
    > reply format > Preference and select Reply header for Mail and Newsgroup.

    I tried this extension and I kept getting a message that it wasn't
    compatible with FF3.03, which was kind of confusing because as I
    understand it, it's a TB extension.

    I searched in the TB add ons for this and it came up with no results.

    Clearly I'm doing something wrong, so what is it?

    --
    BJ

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  6. Re: Reply Headers unique to mail and news

    BJ wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >
    >> "Change quote and reply format" :
    >> "https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/changequote-0.6.0.2.xpi".
    >> After installing extension goto Tools > Extensions > Change quote and
    >> reply format > Preference and select Reply header for Mail and
    >> Newsgroup.

    > I tried this extension and I kept getting a message that it wasn't
    > compatible with FF3.03, which was kind of confusing because as I
    > understand it, it's a TB extension.
    >
    > I searched in the TB add ons for this and it came up with no results.
    >
    > Clearly I'm doing something wrong, so what is it?

    My guess is that you are left-clicking on the link to the .XPI while
    viewing it in FireFox. This will cause FF to try to install it into FF.
    To get it into TBird, RIGHT-click on the link, chose "Save link as.."
    and save it to your computer. Open TBird, go to Tools > Add ons, and
    browse to the folder where you saved the .XPI. select the .XPI, and
    TBird will install it. Restart TBird, and you should be good to go. HTH
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread