Blank page . . . - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Blank page . . . - Mozilla ; Since I have an archaic dial up, I have FF start in a blank page because there is no load time. Now and then when I want to keep FF active, I want to come back to a blank page ...

  1. Blank page . . .

    Since I have an archaic dial up, I have FF start in a blank page because
    there is no load time. Now and then when I want to keep FF active, I
    want to come back to a blank page (just to eliminate the clutter, and
    mostly as a personal preference . . . I mean I could just leave it on
    the page I was at really).

    So how can I put a link to a blank page up on my bookmarks toolbar so
    that I can come back to a blank page?

    --
    BJ

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  2. Re: Blank page . . .

    BJ wrote:

    > Since I have an archaic dial up, I have FF start in a blank page because
    > there is no load time. Now and then when I want to keep FF active, I
    > want to come back to a blank page (just to eliminate the clutter, and
    > mostly as a personal preference . . . I mean I could just leave it on
    > the page I was at really).
    >
    > So how can I put a link to a blank page up on my bookmarks toolbar so
    > that I can come back to a blank page?

    Try setting your homepage to 'about:blank' - then you could click on
    the 'home' icon and see a blank browser screen.

    HTH

    Rob.

  3. Re: Blank page . . .

    On 17.10.2008 10:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused BJ to generate
    the following:? :
    > Since I have an archaic dial up, I have FF start in a blank page because
    > there is no load time. Now and then when I want to keep FF active, I
    > want to come back to a blank page (just to eliminate the clutter, and
    > mostly as a personal preference . . . I mean I could just leave it on
    > the page I was at really).
    >
    > So how can I put a link to a blank page up on my bookmarks toolbar so
    > that I can come back to a blank page?

    Right click
    New Bookmark
    about:blank

    You'll need to enter the name twice - in both the "Name" and the
    "Location" fields.

    while you're at it, make one for about:config and about;plugins - both
    often used.

    keep them at the very top of the b/m list, so that they stay visible and
    handy to get at!

    reg

  4. Re: Blank page . . .

    On 17.10.2008 04:24, squaredancer wrote:

    > keep them at the very top of the b/m list, so that they stay visible and
    > handy to get at!

    .... or just add to the personal toolbar - if you have room - and will be
    just ONE click away.

    --
    Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
    www.ufaq.org

  5. Re: Blank page . . .

    "BJ" ...
    > Since I have an archaic dial up, I have FF start in a blank page because
    > there is no load time. Now and then when I want to keep FF active, I
    > want to come back to a blank page (just to eliminate the clutter, and
    > mostly as a personal preference . . . I mean I could just leave it on
    > the page I was at really).
    >
    > So how can I put a link to a blank page up on my bookmarks toolbar so
    > that I can come back to a blank page?

    In answer to your question, drag the favicon to the left of an about:blank
    page to the personal bookmarks bar, the right click and change name
    from "[untitled]" to BLANK. I actually try to keep only folders
    on my personal bookmarks bar with 1 capital letter alone or with
    up to two additional small letters, but you want it as a button and
    "B" would be too small. You could also give it a keyword shortcut
    of "B:".

    But that will put you deep into a quagmire because you will have open pages
    that you won't see when you go back simply looking at the page.

    What you should do is try to keep only one page per tab, and
    exit the page when finished. When you read an article don't go to
    the linked page immediately unless you need it for a definition;
    instead open the link in the background and continue reading the
    article. When done reading exit the tab, if you know you won't
    come back. Do the same for each tab that you opened in background.

    The main thing is to keep an eye on the back/forward button(s), when
    there is nothing to go back to in a tab you are at the beginning. If you
    are finished with then exit out of it (Ctrl+W)

    Extensions that I would suggest for your tab usage.
    Tab Counter, count of open tabs, suggest putting button U/R corner of toolbars
    Perma Tabs Mod (on Fx3), or Perma Tab (on Fx2)
    Stylish, install styles to see results immediately vs. userChrome.css after FF restart

    Tab Color Underscoring active/read/unread | userstyles.org
    http://userstyles.org/styles/9023

    For more information on tabs see my
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm
    --
    HTH,

  6. Re: Blank page . . .

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > drag the favicon to the left of an about:blank
    > page to the personal bookmarks bar, the right click and change name
    > from "[untitled]" to BLANK.

    OK . . . that part worked . . . thanks very much. Didn't realize that
    right clicking and getting properties would give me the option to rename
    the shortcuts on the toolbar. I played with this quite a bit and was
    able to squeeze more onto my personal toolbar. Thanks for the new toy.

    > You could also give it a keyword shortcut
    > of "B:".

    Am not familiar with how that works in FF . . . do I just hit "B" on my
    keyboard, or Ctrl-B, or Alt-B, or what??

    > But that will put you deep into a quagmire because you will have open
    > pages
    > that you won't see when you go back simply looking at the page.

    Can you expand on this?? Or 'splain it further for one who is dense and
    new to FF.

    > What you should do is try to keep only one page per tab, and
    > exit the page when finished

    You mean open other pages in new tabs . . . if there are any links in a
    page that I want to see, I should use the Ctrl-click to open it??

    > instead open the link in the background

    Ctrl-click??

    > Extensions that I would suggest for your tab usage.
    > Tab Counter, count of open tabs, suggest putting button U/R corner
    > of toolbars
    > Perma Tabs Mod (on Fx3), or Perma Tab (on Fx2)
    > Stylish, install styles to see results immediately vs.
    > userChrome.css after FF restart
    > Tab Color Underscoring active/read/unread | userstyles.org
    > http://userstyles.org/styles/9023

    Will take a look at these.

    > For more information on tabs see my
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm

    Based on what you've helped me with so far, will definitely go there.

    --
    BJ

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  7. Re: Blank page . . .

    David McRitchie wrote:

    > Perma Tabs Mod (on Fx3)

    FlagTab 2.1.3 (from searched extensions on "Perma Tabs Mod") has Options
    grayed out. What's up with that.

    BTW, tried your Stylish extension>Tab Color Underscoring and it is
    great. My compliments.

    But what's up with FlagTab??

    --
    BJ

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  8. Re: Blank page . . .

    On 18.10.2008 07:27, BJ wrote:

    > FlagTab 2.1.3 (from searched extensions on "Perma Tabs Mod") has Options
    > grayed out. What's up with that.
    >
    > BTW, tried your Stylish extension>Tab Color Underscoring and it is
    > great. My compliments.
    >
    > But what's up with FlagTab??

    My solution to the "blank page" issue has been to have it bookmarked on
    the personal toolbar. Simply do about:blank in the URL address window
    and then drag n drop the icon to the PTB. That's it, clean and simple,
    no extensions, no bloat.

    --
    Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
    www.ufaq.org
    Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

  9. Re: Blank page . . .

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 18.10.2008 07:27, BJ wrote:

    Yes, I solved the "blank page" issue (see my earlier post in this
    thread: "OK . . . that part worked . . . thanks very much."). This is
    about FlagTab . . . will start a new thread on that since it's a
    different topic.

    --
    BJ

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

+ Reply to Thread