What is "anchor"? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on What is "anchor"? - Mozilla ; Basic question here: What does "anchor" mean and what does it do? The Mozilla help files for TB is just a search on a term (or terms), and is not that user friendly. I searched for "anchor" and didn't get ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: What is "anchor"?

  1. What is "anchor"?

    Basic question here: What does "anchor" mean and what does it do?

    The Mozilla help files for TB is just a search on a term (or terms), and
    is not that user friendly. I searched for "anchor" and didn't get a
    link that explained the basics.

    TIA

    --
    BJ

    Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.


  2. Re: What is "anchor"?

    On 10/17/08 2:54 AM, _BJ_ spoke thusly:
    > Basic question here: What does "anchor" mean and what does it do?
    >
    > The Mozilla help files for TB is just a search on a term (or terms), and
    > is not that user friendly. I searched for "anchor" and didn't get a
    > link that explained the basics.


    If you want to link to a certain part of the HTML message (like in a
    table of contents), you place the anchor in the spot you want to link
    to, then create a link to that anchor.
    For example:
    The anchor name can be "section2".
    Then in the table of contents, select the text you want to link to that
    anchor, and set the link to "#section2".
    For more info, see .

    --
    Chris Ilias
    List-owner: support-firefox, support-thunderbird, test-multimedia

  3. Re: What is "anchor"?

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > If you want to link to a certain part of the HTML message (like in a
    > table of contents), you place the anchor in the spot you want to link
    > to, then create a link to that anchor.
    > For example:
    > The anchor name can be "section2".
    > Then in the table of contents, select the text you want to link to that
    > anchor, and set the link to "#section2".


    So it's not a hyperlink, rather it's a link within the body of the
    message itself . . . sort of like what you can do in MSWord to jump to
    another part of the document . . . am I paraphrasing you correctly?

    --
    BJ

    Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.



  4. Re: What is "anchor"?

    On 10/16/2008 11:54 PM, BJ wrote:
    > Basic question here: What does "anchor" mean and what does it do?
    >
    > The Mozilla help files for TB is just a search on a term (or terms), and
    > is not that user friendly. I searched for "anchor" and didn't get a
    > link that explained the basics.
    >
    > TIA
    >


    An anchor is the HTML markup used to specify a link or the target of a
    link.

    The markup Hobbies is the anchor that is the
    target of the above link.

    This is all HTML. Some of us prefer not receiving HTML-formatted
    messages. Thunderbird has the capability to send HTML-formatted
    messages to those who want them and ASCII-formatted messages to those of
    us who don't.

    --
    David E. Ross


    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    extensions for Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and other
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much
    more quickly than you can Mozilla Add-Ons.

  5. Re: What is "anchor"?

    BJ wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> If you want to link to a certain part of the HTML message (like in a
    >> table of contents), you place the anchor in the spot you want to link
    >> to, then create a link to that anchor.
    >> For example:
    >> The anchor name can be "section2".
    >> Then in the table of contents, select the text you want to link to that
    >> anchor, and set the link to "#section2".

    >
    > So it's not a hyperlink, rather it's a link within the body of the
    > message itself


    It's a hyperlink. It's simply a more specific hyperlink than a
    page-only hyperlink.

    Here's a hyperlink to a page at one of my sites:

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/ndx_windows.html

    Go there.

    Here's a more specific hyperlink -- a hyperlink to a section within that
    page:

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/ndx_windows.html/#xnews

    Go there.

    Both hyperlinks (look at them). One simply further specifies a place
    *within* the page.


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

  6. Re: What is "anchor"?

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > It's a hyperlink. It's simply a more specific hyperlink than a
    > page-only hyperlink.
    >
    > Here's a hyperlink to a page at one of my sites:
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/ndx_windows.html
    >
    > Go there.
    >
    > Here's a more specific hyperlink -- a hyperlink to a section within that
    > page:
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/ndx_windows.html/#xnews
    >
    > Go there.
    >
    > Both hyperlinks (look at them). One simply further specifies a place
    > *within* the page.


    OK . . . got it. Thanks for straightening me out on this.


    --
    BJ

    Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  7. Re: What is "anchor"?



    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > BJ wrote:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you want to link to a certain part of the HTML message (like in a
    >>> table of contents), you place the anchor in the spot you want to link
    >>> to, then create a link to that anchor.
    >>> For example:
    >>> The anchor name can be "section2".
    >>> Then in the table of contents, select the text you want to link to that
    >>> anchor, and set the link to "#section2".

    >> So it's not a hyperlink, rather it's a link within the body of the
    >> message itself

    >
    > It's a hyperlink. It's simply a more specific hyperlink than a
    > page-only hyperlink.
    >
    > Here's a hyperlink to a page at one of my sites:
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/ndx_windows.html
    >
    > Go there.
    >
    > Here's a more specific hyperlink -- a hyperlink to a section within that
    > page:
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/ndx_windows.html/#xnews


    My typo on that link. The final slash isn't needed to separate the file
    extension from the identifier of the anchor. It still works (at least
    on FF, but it's not correct. My bad.

    > Go there.
    >
    > Both hyperlinks (look at them). One simply further specifies a place
    > *within* the page.
    >
    >


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

+ Reply to Thread