Problem subscribing to this newsgroup - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Problem subscribing to this newsgroup - Mozilla ; When I click to manage my subscriptions to news.mozilla.org, the icons for Mozilla and Netscape are grayed out, there are no plus signs next to them, and they will not expand. There is no way to subscribe to a particular ...

  1. Problem subscribing to this newsgroup

    When I click to manage my subscriptions to news.mozilla.org, the icons
    for Mozilla and Netscape are grayed out, there are no plus signs next to
    them, and they will not expand. There is no way to subscribe to a
    particular newsgroup from within the program.

    So I subscribed by clicking the appropriate link from the Moz site. So
    far so good, everything comes in according to the options I set. But
    then after I click away from the ‘inbox’ and then click back, Tb asks me
    again if I want to subscribe. If I say yes, it sets the read attribute
    from read to unread; if I say no, I get an hourglass forever.

    What could be the problems? Is the service running on something other
    than the default port 119?

    Tb 2.0.0.17 under WinXP-Pro-SP3.

  2. Re: Problem subscribing to this newsgroup

    On 10/16/08 11:13 PM, _Joe N_ spoke thusly:

    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...52c0a21f375d4d
    --
    Chris Ilias

  3. Re: Problem subscribing to this newsgroup

    Chris, thanks for the cite, but that doesn't really address the
    underlying issues, either their causes or solutions:

    > http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...52c0a21f375d4d

    >> When I click to manage my subscriptions to news.mozilla.org, the icons
    >> for Mozilla and Netscape are grayed out, there are no plus signs next
    >> to them, and they will not expand. There is no way to subscribe to a
    >> particular newsgroup from within the program.

    Your article doesn't address this. The subscription process does not
    work as designed from within Thunderbird.

    >> But then after I click away from the ‘inbox’ and then click back, Tb
    >> asks me again if I want to subscribe. If I say yes, it sets the read
    >> attribute from read to unread; if I say no, I get an hourglass forever.

    Your article mentions this problem in a slightly different context, but,
    again, what is to be done to correct the issue? I would like to mark
    read entries as read and keep them that way. And I shouldn't have to
    promulgate duplicate folders every time I click back in to the NG.

    JN

+ Reply to Thread