Online Radio Station - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Online Radio Station - Mozilla ; Pete Holsberg wrote: > squaredancer has written on 10/17/2008 5:11 AM: >> On 16.10.2008 22:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete >> Holsberg to generate the following:? : >> >>> My local radio station downloads listen.pls.xpl but ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: Online Radio Station

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > squaredancer has written on 10/17/2008 5:11 AM:
    >> On 16.10.2008 22:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete
    >> Holsberg to generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> My local radio station downloads listen.pls.xpl but FF says that the
    >>> associated application does not exist.
    >>>
    >>> I could not find anywhere where the associated application (Real,
    >>> iTunes, Quicktime or Winamp -- according to the station) are listed.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.whyy.org/91FM/live.html
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Pete - sorry, but I cannot duplicate what your problem is.... because
    >> that problem isn't on the URL you posted...
    >>

    > OK. Step-by-step.
    >
    > 1) GOTO http://www.whyy.org/91FM/live.html
    >
    > 2) Click on the top "Listen>>" link
    >
    > 3) Get a pop-up: "Opening listen.pls
    >
    > You have chosen to open listen.pls which is a M3U file from
    > http://207.245.67.204.
    > What should Firefox do? (Default is "open with WMP")
    >
    > 4) Click OK, "Downloads" pane opens and shows that listen.pls.xpl is
    > being downloaded. Also, WMP opens but says that it doesn't recognize the
    > xpl extension.
    >
    > 5) Click OK to have WMP try to play it. Popup says WMP cannot play it.
    >
    > 6) Close WMP

    VLC works that link just fine
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

  2. Re: Online Radio Station

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > squaredancer has written on 10/17/2008 5:11 AM:
    >> On 16.10.2008 22:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete
    >> Holsberg to generate the following:? :
    >>
    >>> My local radio station downloads listen.pls.xpl but FF says that the
    >>> associated application does not exist.
    >>>
    >>> I could not find anywhere where the associated application (Real,
    >>> iTunes, Quicktime or Winamp -- according to the station) are listed.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.whyy.org/91FM/live.html
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Pete - sorry, but I cannot duplicate what your problem is.... because
    >> that problem isn't on the URL you posted...
    >>

    > OK. Step-by-step.
    >
    > 1) GOTO http://www.whyy.org/91FM/live.html
    >
    > 2) Click on the top "Listen>>" link
    >
    > 3) Get a pop-up: "Opening listen.pls
    >
    > You have chosen to open listen.pls which is a M3U file from
    > http://207.245.67.204.
    > What should Firefox do? (Default is "open with WMP")
    >
    > 4) Click OK, "Downloads" pane opens and shows that listen.pls.xpl is
    > being downloaded. Also, WMP opens but says that it doesn't recognize the
    > xpl extension.
    >
    > 5) Click OK to have WMP try to play it. Popup says WMP cannot play it.
    >
    > 6) Close WMP

    When I open that page, I see 2 "Listen" links under the heading "MP3
    Stream". The top one, which if read your post correctly is the one that
    you want to open with WMP, specifically says "For use with Real, iTunes,
    Quicktime, Winamp". The second one is for Windows Media Player. I opened
    the first one successfully with XMPlay, and the second with WMP. There
    is also a "Realmedia Stream" link which I did not try. Am I seeing a
    different page than you? I used the link in your post to get there.
    Also, I am not seeing the "XPL" suffix that you report, only listen.pls
    and WHYY.ask.

    Dave

  3. Re: Online Radio Station

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo has written on 10/17/2008 1:16 PM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo has written on 10/16/2008 11:15 PM:
    >>
    >>> try removing the .xpl and try again.
    >>>

    >> The xpl file(s)?
    >>
    >> Try what, try to play that radio station?
    >>

    > try reading what I said. I didn't say remove the xpl
    > file(s), I said remove the .xpl and try again.

    I read what you said. What is an .xpl? From where do I remove it?

  4. Re: Online Radio Station

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo has written on 10/17/2008 1:16 PM:
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo has written on 10/16/2008 11:15 PM:

    >>> The xpl file(s)?
    >>>
    >>> Try what, try to play that radio station?
    >>>

    >> try reading what I said. I didn't say remove the xpl file(s), I said
    >> remove the .xpl and try again.
    >>

    > I read what you said. What is an .xpl? From where do I remove it?

    thats not what I said. I said change listen.pls.xpl to
    listen.pls and open it from there.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: Online Radio Station

    on 10/16/08 10:15 PM Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo said the following:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo has written on 10/16/2008 8:10 PM:

    >>> it should automatically open wmp within the browser. If its not for
    >>> you, then you have something wrong. Try installing the wmp FF
    >>> plugin:
    >>> http://port25.technet.com/pages/wind...-download.aspx
    >>>

    >> Hmmm....FF closes down!
    >>> if that fails, then save the listen.pls.xpl file to your hard drive,
    >>> then from wmp, click on File, Open File, and open that file.
    >>>

    >> Doesn't recognize the xpl extension; then, it cannot play the file.

    > try removing the .xpl and try again.

    save as .pls and play in winamp etc.

  6. Re: Online Radio Station

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo has written on 10/17/2008 5:19 PM:
    > thats not what I said. I said change listen.pls.xpl to
    > listen.pls and open it from there.

    Well, actually you didn't say that explicitly!

    But changing the file name as you suggested and opening it with Winamp
    worked.

    Now, the $64 question is, "Why won't it work by clicking on the link?"

  7. Re: Online Radio Station

    Traveller has written on 10/17/2008 2:31 PM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >

    >> 1) GOTO http://www.whyy.org/91FM/live.html
    >>
    >> 2) Click on the top "Listen>>" link
    >>
    >> 3) Get a pop-up: "Opening listen.pls
    >>
    >> You have chosen to open listen.pls which is a M3U file from
    >> http://207.245.67.204.
    >> What should Firefox do? (Default is "open with WMP")
    >>
    >> 4) Click OK, "Downloads" pane opens and shows that listen.pls.xpl is
    >> being downloaded. Also, WMP opens but says that it doesn't recognize the
    >> xpl extension.
    >>
    >> 5) Click OK to have WMP try to play it. Popup says WMP cannot play it.
    >>
    >> 6) Close WMP
    >>

    > When I open that page, I see 2 "Listen" links under the heading "MP3
    > Stream". The top one, which if read your post correctly is the one that
    > you want to open with WMP, specifically says "For use with Real, iTunes,
    > Quicktime, Winamp". The second one is for Windows Media Player. I opened
    > the first one successfully with XMPlay, and the second with WMP. There
    > is also a "Realmedia Stream" link which I did not try. Am I seeing a
    > different page than you? I used the link in your post to get there.

    No. I misspoke. Or in the words of J McCain, "I screwed up."

    > Also, I am not seeing the "XPL" suffix that you report, only listen.pls
    > and WHYY.ask.

    The links are listen.pls and whyy.asx. When I click on the listen link,
    FF downloads listen.pls.xpl to my computewr. Do you get a download? Look
    in c:\documents and settings\\local settings\temp

    Thanks.

  8. Re: Online Radio Station

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo has written on 10/17/2008 5:19 PM:
    >> thats not what I said. I said change listen.pls.xpl to
    >> listen.pls and open it from there.
    >>

    > Well, actually you didn't say that explicitly!
    >
    > But changing the file name as you suggested and opening it with Winamp
    > worked.
    >
    > Now, the $64 question is, "Why won't it work by clicking on the link?"

    Stupid web page design?
    Never assume malice, when you can explain by assuming stupidity.

  9. Re: Online Radio Station

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Traveller has written on 10/17/2008 2:31 PM:
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>

    >>> 1) GOTO http://www.whyy.org/91FM/live.html
    >>>
    >>> 2) Click on the top "Listen>>" link
    >>>
    >>> 3) Get a pop-up: "Opening listen.pls
    >>>
    >>> You have chosen to open listen.pls which is a M3U file from
    >>> http://207.245.67.204.
    >>> What should Firefox do? (Default is "open with WMP")
    >>>
    >>> 4) Click OK, "Downloads" pane opens and shows that listen.pls.xpl is
    >>> being downloaded. Also, WMP opens but says that it doesn't recognize
    >>> the xpl extension.
    >>>
    >>> 5) Click OK to have WMP try to play it. Popup says WMP cannot play it.
    >>>
    >>> 6) Close WMP
    >>>

    >> When I open that page, I see 2 "Listen" links under the heading "MP3
    >> Stream". The top one, which if read your post correctly is the one
    >> that you want to open with WMP, specifically says "For use with Real,
    >> iTunes, Quicktime, Winamp". The second one is for Windows Media
    >> Player. I opened the first one successfully with XMPlay, and the
    >> second with WMP. There is also a "Realmedia Stream" link which I did
    >> not try. Am I seeing a different page than you? I used the link in
    >> your post to get there.

    > No. I misspoke. Or in the words of J McCain, "I screwed up."
    >

    >> Also, I am not seeing the "XPL" suffix that you report, only
    >> listen.pls and WHYY.ask.
    >>

    > The links are listen.pls and whyy.asx. When I click on the listen link,
    > FF downloads listen.pls.xpl to my computewr. Do you get a download? Look
    > in c:\documents and settings\\local settings\temp
    >
    > Thanks.

    I get a download, but it is listen.pls, which XMPlay opens quite
    happily. The download was handled by FF's built-in manager, and I was
    then asked what I wanted to do with it. In my case, I had to point FF at
    XMPlay, since Ares p2p seems to have attached itself to the .pls suffix.
    I am not seeing anything with a .xpl suffix. FWIW I am using FF3.1b1.
    Dave

  10. Re: Online Radio Station

    Traveller has written on 10/17/2008 9:51 PM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >
    >> Traveller has written on 10/17/2008 2:31 PM:

    >>> When I open that page, I see 2 "Listen" links under the heading "MP3
    >>> Stream". The top one, which if read your post correctly is the one
    >>> that you want to open with WMP, specifically says "For use with Real,
    >>> iTunes, Quicktime, Winamp". The second one is for Windows Media
    >>> Player. I opened the first one successfully with XMPlay, and the
    >>> second with WMP. There is also a "Realmedia Stream" link which I did
    >>> not try. Am I seeing a different page than you? I used the link in
    >>> your post to get there.
    >>>

    >> No. I misspoke. Or in the words of J McCain, "I screwed up."
    >>

    >>> Also, I am not seeing the "XPL" suffix that you report, only
    >>> listen.pls and WHYY.ask.
    >>>

    >> The links are listen.pls and whyy.asx. When I click on the listen link,
    >> FF downloads listen.pls.xpl to my computewr. Do you get a download? Look
    >> in c:\documents and settings\\local settings\temp
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > I get a download, but it is listen.pls, which XMPlay opens quite
    > happily. The download was handled by FF's built-in manager, and I was
    > then asked what I wanted to do with it.

    Next time, save it and tell me if the result is listen.pls or listen.pls.xpl

  11. Re: Online Radio Station

    On 17.10.2008 17:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete Holsberg
    to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer has written on 10/17/2008 5:11 AM:
    >
    >> On 16.10.2008 22:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete Holsberg
    >> to generate the following:? :
    >>

    >>> My local radio station downloads listen.pls.xpl but FF says that the
    >>> associated application does not exist.
    >>>
    >>> I could not find anywhere where the associated application (Real,
    >>> iTunes, Quicktime or Winamp -- according to the station) are listed.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.whyy.org/91FM/live.html
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Pete - sorry, but I cannot duplicate what your problem is.... because
    >> that problem isn't on the URL you posted...

    Thanks - but "not so" on my versions 1.5.0.9 and 3.0...

    > OK. Step-by-step.
    >
    > 1) GOTO http://www.whyy.org/91FM/live.html
    >
    > 2) Click on the top "Listen>>" link

    did 1) and 2)

    > 3) Get a pop-up: "Opening listen.pls

    got a Downloadmanager popup... "listen.pls>>done (see your no. 4) below)
    and a WMP window with "unable to connect with remote server" (plus
    bla-bla) (my firewall has WMP internet access blocked)
    freeing WMP in the firewall shows the message that the filetype is not
    supported.
    > You have chosen to open listen.pls which is a M3U file from
    > http://207.245.67.204.
    > What should Firefox do? (Default is "open with WMP")
    >
    > 4) Click OK, "Downloads" pane opens and shows that listen.pls.xpl is
    > being downloaded. Also, WMP opens but says that it doesn't recognize the
    > xpl extension.

    in the d/l manager, I click the "open" selection and my (associated ??)
    player VLC opens the radio sender.

    > 5) Click OK to have WMP try to play it. Popup says WMP cannot play it.
    >
    > 6) Close WMP

    different setup, different results, I suppose!

    I don't know just why you get the URL:
    listen.pls.xpl from
    - the link under the "Listen" is to http://207.245.204/listen.pls - *no
    ..xpl extension there ?????

    reg

  12. Re: Online Radio Station

    Pete Holsberg wrote: Traveller has written on 10/17/2008 9:51 PM:

    I get a download, but it is listen.pls, which XMPlay opens quite happily. The download was handled by FF's built-in manager, and I was then asked what I wanted to do with it.
    Next time, save it and tell me if the result is listen.pls or listen.pls.xpl

    I get the file "listen.pls", size 61 bytes, from source 207.245.67.207. No sign of an "xpl" anywhere. I don't suppose you are using any extensions, maybe a download manager, that could be doing this? Have you tried opening the link with a player other than WMP (since that particular link says it's for players OTHER THAN WMP)? Don't know what else to suggest. Does the link "Listen with Windows Media Player" work for you?

        Dave

  13. Re: Online Radio Station

    Traveller has written on 10/18/2008 11:05 AM:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> Traveller has written on 10/17/2008 9:51 PM:
    >>>>

    >>> I get a download, but it is listen.pls, which XMPlay opens quite
    >>> happily. The download was handled by FF's built-in manager, and I
    >>> was then asked what I wanted to do with it.

    >> Next time, save it and tell me if the result is listen.pls or
    >> listen.pls.xpl

    > I get the file "listen.pls", size 61 bytes, from source
    > 207.245.67.207. No sign of an "xpl" anywhere. I don't suppose you are
    > using any extensions, maybe a download manager, that could be doing
    > this? Have you tried opening the link with a player other than WMP
    > (since that particular link says it's for players OTHER THAN WMP)?
    > Don't know what else to suggest. Does the link "Listen with Windows
    > Media Player " work for you?

    Must have been a DLM because disabling all of them permitted the "listen
    with WMP" to work. However, the "other than wmp" link still doesn't work.

  14. Re: Online Radio Station

    Dan wrote:
    > on 10/16/08 10:15 PM Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo said the following:
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo has written on 10/16/2008 8:10 PM:

    >>> Hmmm....FF closes down!
    >>>>
    >>> Doesn't recognize the xpl extension; then, it cannot play the file.

    >> try removing the .xpl and try again.
    >>

    > save as .pls and play in winamp etc.

    isn't that what I said? Remove the .xpl and try again!

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  15. Re: Online Radio Station

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo has written on 10/18/2008 1:39 PM:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> on 10/16/08 10:15 PM Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo said the following:

    >>> try removing the .xpl and try again.
    >>>

    >> save as .pls and play in winamp etc.
    >>

    > isn't that what I said? Remove the .xpl and try again!

    Very ambiguous. You knoew what you meant but as it wasn't clear to me, I
    consider it a "failed instruction". :-)

  16. Re: Online Radio Station

    squaredancer wrote:

    > I don't know just why you get the URL:
    > listen.pls.xpl from
    > - the link under the "Listen" is to http://207.245.204/listen.pls - *no
    > .xpl extension there ?????

    it could be a firewall or antivirus thing that is doing
    that. Everyone else is getting listen.pls.