Return To Sender Add-On or Service - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Return To Sender Add-On or Service - Mozilla ; I am wondering if there is an add-on or even a service that does a return- to-sender-with-pointed-message. If I decide I don't want to get email from a person any longer, I would like the ability to: 1. create a ...

  1. Return To Sender Add-On or Service

    I am wondering if there is an add-on or even a service that does a return-
    to-sender-with-pointed-message.

    If I decide I don't want to get email from a person any longer, I would
    like the ability to:

    1. create a filter that senses exact or containing string text in a header
    or message part

    2. the action of the filter will be to (i) pre-pend a template text that
    says something like "the recipient of the message has returned it to the
    sender without reading and no longer will receive messages from the
    sender" and (ii) attach the sent message to the "returned message" reply

    I don't merely want to drop the message into a bit bucket or from the
    server: I want the sender---could be a new EX-boy/girlfriend---to know it
    is being returned unread and unwanted (indeed this might reduce spam if
    spam is thrown back at the sender, right?). It is not possible to
    configure Gmail mail servers to do this for personal accounts...don't know
    about Yahoo or Hotmail servers either.

  2. Re: Return To Sender Add-On or Service

    mavigozler wrote:
    > I am wondering if there is an add-on or even a service that does a return-
    > to-sender-with-pointed-message.
    >
    > If I decide I don't want to get email from a person any longer, I would
    > like the ability to:
    >
    > 1. create a filter that senses exact or containing string text in a header
    > or message part
    >
    > 2. the action of the filter will be to (i) pre-pend a template text that
    > says something like "the recipient of the message has returned it to the
    > sender without reading and no longer will receive messages from the
    > sender" and (ii) attach the sent message to the "returned message" reply
    >
    > I don't merely want to drop the message into a bit bucket or from the
    > server: I want the sender---could be a new EX-boy/girlfriend---to know it
    > is being returned unread and unwanted (indeed this might reduce spam if
    > spam is thrown back at the sender, right?). It is not possible to
    > configure Gmail mail servers to do this for personal accounts...don't know
    > about Yahoo or Hotmail servers either.

    No, it would do little to fight spam. Most spammers don't monitor the
    return address they put on their messages, it is either fake, or stolen
    from someone else in fact. So sending a 'boilerplate' message back to
    spam would simply be adding to 'noise' traffic.

    If you don't want to hear from someone, here is how to do it.
    When they send you something the first time, tell them in no uncertain
    terms that you do NOT wish them to send anything, and cc their email
    host abuse desk. The second time, do the same thing, and for the third
    time as well. Ensure you cc their email abuse desk (or support desk)
    each time.

    IF the person doesn't stop, then that constitutes harrassment, and you
    can request the email provider to step in and do something. If the
    email provider doesn't step in, then you have grounds to contact police
    enforcement services - However, in most cases it never goes that far.

    Simple, effective, and best of all, it works

    Don't use abusive language, just simple statements like
    "Please don't email me again" "I don't wish to communicate with you"
    and so forth. Clearly states your intentions without undue animosity.
    Mention in the emails that if it doesn't stop, you will be contacting
    their email provider with regards to harrassement.

    On the occassions I have had to resort to this, it has always worked.
    The last one being a person with a yahoo address in fact - after the
    third time that address no longer existed - courtesy of yahoo

  3. Re: Return To Sender Add-On or Service

    mavigozler wrote:
    > I am wondering if there is an add-on or even a service that does a return-
    > to-sender-with-pointed-message.
    >
    > If I decide I don't want to get email from a person any longer, I would
    > like the ability to:
    >
    > 1. create a filter that senses exact or containing string text in a header
    > or message part
    >
    > 2. the action of the filter will be to (i) pre-pend a template text that
    > says something like "the recipient of the message has returned it to the
    > sender without reading and no longer will receive messages from the
    > sender" and (ii) attach the sent message to the "returned message" reply
    >
    > I don't merely want to drop the message into a bit bucket or from the
    > server: I want the sender---could be a new EX-boy/girlfriend---to know it
    > is being returned unread and unwanted (indeed this might reduce spam if
    > spam is thrown back at the sender, right?). It is not possible to
    > configure Gmail mail servers to do this for personal accounts...don't know
    > about Yahoo or Hotmail servers either.

    did you look at message filters [under tools]? Its got
    what you want.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: Return To Sender Add-On or Service

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > mavigozler wrote:
    >> I am wondering if there is an add-on or even a service that does a return-
    >> to-sender-with-pointed-message.
    >>
    >> If I decide I don't want to get email from a person any longer, I would
    >> like the ability to:
    >>
    >> 1. create a filter that senses exact or containing string text in a header
    >> or message part
    >>
    >> 2. the action of the filter will be to (i) pre-pend a template text that
    >> says something like "the recipient of the message has returned it to the
    >> sender without reading and no longer will receive messages from the
    >> sender" and (ii) attach the sent message to the "returned message" reply
    >>
    >> I don't merely want to drop the message into a bit bucket or from the
    >> server: I want the sender---could be a new EX-boy/girlfriend---to know it
    >> is being returned unread and unwanted (indeed this might reduce spam if
    >> spam is thrown back at the sender, right?). It is not possible to
    >> configure Gmail mail servers to do this for personal accounts...don't know
    >> about Yahoo or Hotmail servers either.
    >>

    > did you look at message filters [under tools]? Its got
    > what you want.

    "did you look at message filters [under tools]? Its got
    what you want."

    I guess I don't understand how you might use the message filters to
    satisfy the requirements that were stated? I found the actions rather
    limited and certainly nothing there that would act like a "Return to
    Sender" function. Are you thinking of a mail program other than
    Thunderbird?

  5. Re: Return To Sender Add-On or Service

    Gnus2Me has written on 10/14/2008 3:27 PM:
    > I guess I don't understand how you might use the message filters to
    > satisfy the requirements that were stated? I found the actions rather
    > limited and certainly nothing there that would act like a "Return to
    > Sender" function.

    How about "Reply with template"?

  6. Re: Return To Sender Add-On or Service

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> mavigozler wrote:
    >>> I am wondering if there is an add-on or even a service that does a
    >>> return-
    >>> to-sender-with-pointed-message.
    >>>
    >>> If I decide I don't want to get email from a person any longer, I
    >>> would like the ability to:
    >>>
    >>> 1. create a filter that senses exact or containing string text in a
    >>> header or message part
    >>>
    >>> 2. the action of the filter will be to (i) pre-pend a template text
    >>> that says something like "the recipient of the message has returned
    >>> it to the sender without reading and no longer will receive messages
    >>> from the sender" and (ii) attach the sent message to the "returned
    >>> message" reply
    >>>
    >>> I don't merely want to drop the message into a bit bucket or from the
    >>> server: I want the sender---could be a new EX-boy/girlfriend---to
    >>> know it is being returned unread and unwanted (indeed this might
    >>> reduce spam if spam is thrown back at the sender, right?). It is not
    >>> possible to configure Gmail mail servers to do this for personal
    >>> accounts...don't know about Yahoo or Hotmail servers either.
    >>>

    >> did you look at message filters [under tools]? Its got what you want.
    >>

    > "did you look at message filters [under tools]? Its got
    > what you want."
    >
    > I guess I don't understand how you might use the message filters to
    > satisfy the requirements that were stated? I found the actions rather
    > limited and certainly nothing there that would act like a "Return to
    > Sender" function. Are you thinking of a mail program other than
    > Thunderbird?

    did you even look. Click on Tools, Message Filters,
    then follow whats in front of you.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: Return To Sender Add-On or Service

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> mavigozler wrote:
    >>> I am wondering if there is an add-on or even a service that does a return-
    >>> to-sender-with-pointed-message.
    >>>
    >>> If I decide I don't want to get email from a person any longer, I would
    >>> like the ability to:
    >>>
    >>> 1. create a filter that senses exact or containing string text in a header
    >>> or message part
    >>>
    >>> 2. the action of the filter will be to (i) pre-pend a template text that
    >>> says something like "the recipient of the message has returned it to the
    >>> sender without reading and no longer will receive messages from the
    >>> sender" and (ii) attach the sent message to the "returned message" reply
    >>>
    >>> I don't merely want to drop the message into a bit bucket or from the
    >>> server: I want the sender---could be a new EX-boy/girlfriend---to know it
    >>> is being returned unread and unwanted (indeed this might reduce spam if
    >>> spam is thrown back at the sender, right?). It is not possible to
    >>> configure Gmail mail servers to do this for personal accounts...don't know
    >>> about Yahoo or Hotmail servers either.
    >>>

    >> did you look at message filters [under tools]? Its got
    >> what you want.
    >>

    > "did you look at message filters [under tools]? Its got
    > what you want."
    >
    > I guess I don't understand how you might use the message filters to
    > satisfy the requirements that were stated? I found the actions rather
    > limited and certainly nothing there that would act like a "Return to
    > Sender" function. Are you thinking of a mail program other than
    > Thunderbird?

    My bad! I was looking at the Tools tab in the news section. Hey Peter,
    it doesn't take much to get a NastyGram from you...does it?

  8. Re: Return To Sender Add-On or Service

    Gnus2Me wrote:
    > Gnus2Me wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> did you look at message filters [under tools]? Its got what you want.
    >>>

    >> "did you look at message filters [under tools]? Its got
    >> what you want."
    >>
    >> I guess I don't understand how you might use the message filters to
    >> satisfy the requirements that were stated? I found the actions rather
    >> limited and certainly nothing there that would act like a "Return to
    >> Sender" function. Are you thinking of a mail program other than
    >> Thunderbird?

    > My bad! I was looking at the Tools tab in the news section. Hey Peter,
    > it doesn't take much to get a NastyGram from you...does it?

    only when someone doesn't look properly :-D

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere in the FREE world,
    except for some strange reason, not to the mozilla.org
    newsgroup servers, where your posting may get you banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: Return To Sender Add-On or Service

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Gnus2Me wrote:
    >> Gnus2Me wrote:

    >>> "did you look at message filters [under tools]? Its got
    >>> what you want."
    >>>
    >>> I guess I don't understand how you might use the message filters to
    >>> satisfy the requirements that were stated? I found the actions rather
    >>> limited and certainly nothing there that would act like a "Return to
    >>> Sender" function. Are you thinking of a mail program other than
    >>> Thunderbird?

    >> My bad! I was looking at the Tools tab in the news section. Hey Peter,
    >> it doesn't take much to get a NastyGram from you...does it?

    > only when someone doesn't look properly :-D

    I'll have to be sure to work on that, now that I know how much it
    bothers you. Oh, hey! I forgot to ask you how that diaper rash is
    comin' along? :-D

  10. Re: Return To Sender Add-On or Service

    mavigozler wrote:
    > I am wondering if there is an add-on or even a service that does a return-
    > to-sender-with-pointed-message.
    >
    > If I decide I don't want to get email from a person any longer, I would
    > like the ability to:
    >
    > 1. create a filter that senses exact or containing string text in a header
    > or message part
    >
    > 2. the action of the filter will be to (i) pre-pend a template text that
    > says something like "the recipient of the message has returned it to the
    > sender without reading and no longer will receive messages from the
    > sender" and (ii) attach the sent message to the "returned message" reply
    >
    > I don't merely want to drop the message into a bit bucket or from the
    > server: I want the sender---could be a new EX-boy/girlfriend---to know it
    > is being returned unread and unwanted (indeed this might reduce spam if
    > spam is thrown back at the sender, right?).

    Absolutely not. It would only double the wasted bandwidth.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  11. Re: Return To Sender Add-On or Service

    On 10/18/2008 9:53 PM, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > mavigozler wrote:
    >> I am wondering if there is an add-on or even a service that does a
    >> return-
    >> to-sender-with-pointed-message.
    >>
    >> If I decide I don't want to get email from a person any longer, I
    >> would like the ability to:
    >>
    >> 1. create a filter that senses exact or containing string text in a
    >> header or message part
    >>
    >> 2. the action of the filter will be to (i) pre-pend a template text
    >> that says something like "the recipient of the message has returned
    >> it to the sender without reading and no longer will receive messages
    >> from the sender" and (ii) attach the sent message to the "returned
    >> message" reply
    >>
    >> I don't merely want to drop the message into a bit bucket or from the
    >> server: I want the sender---could be a new EX-boy/girlfriend---to
    >> know it is being returned unread and unwanted (indeed this might
    >> reduce spam if spam is thrown back at the sender, right?).

    > Absolutely not. It would only double the wasted bandwidth.

    There are some legitimated uses for that function, what the OP is
    looking for is offered by mailwasher bounce option, and is free.

    See: http://www.mailwasher.net/

+ Reply to Thread