News - Mozilla

This is a discussion on News - Mozilla ; Can someone here please recommend a newsgroup program that actually downloads news articles - as opposed to the process of showing temporary, simulated peeks onto someone's news server as offered by Thunderbird? Said otherwise, I'm looking for a news program ...

  1. News

    Can someone here please recommend a newsgroup program that actually
    downloads news articles - as opposed to the process of showing temporary,
    simulated peeks onto someone's news server as offered by Thunderbird?

    Said otherwise, I'm looking for a news program that shows news articles on
    your screen (offline) as opposed to showing an index to articles on some
    computer in India or China. (I would also want to be able to save, move,
    copy or delete news files.)

    JimL

    ---
    Medical cure for Golden Parachute Disease:

    1. Devise oak board 1 inch by 6 inches by 30 inches.
    2. Apply to side of GP recipient's head daily until GP is fully refunded.
    3. When oak board cannot be located a baseball bat will do nicely.

  2. Re: News

    On 13/10/2008 21:50, inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    > Can someone here please recommend a newsgroup program that actually
    > downloads news articles - as opposed to the process of showing temporary,
    > simulated peeks onto someone's news server as offered by Thunderbird?
    >
    > Said otherwise, I'm looking for a news program that shows news articles on
    > your screen (offline) as opposed to showing an index to articles on some
    > computer in India or China. (I would also want to be able to save, move,
    > copy or delete news files.)
    >

    > JimL
    >
    > ---
    > Medical cure for Golden Parachute Disease:
    >
    > 1. Devise oak board 1 inch by 6 inches by 30 inches.
    > 2. Apply to side of GP recipient's head daily until GP is fully refunded.
    > 3. When oak board cannot be located a baseball bat will do nicely.

    You can drag an item you want to save from the newsgroup to a folder on
    another account.

    --
    Alex

    about:config: "Promise you will be careful!"
    Alex: "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

  3. Re: News

    inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    > Can someone here please recommend a newsgroup program that actually
    > downloads news articles - as opposed to the process of showing temporary,
    > simulated peeks onto someone's news server as offered by Thunderbird?
    >
    > Said otherwise, I'm looking for a news program that shows news articles on
    > your screen (offline) as opposed to showing an index to articles on some
    > computer in India or China. (I would also want to be able to save, move,
    > copy or delete news files.)
    >

    > JimL
    >
    > ---
    > Medical cure for Golden Parachute Disease:
    >
    > 1. Devise oak board 1 inch by 6 inches by 30 inches.
    > 2. Apply to side of GP recipient's head daily until GP is fully refunded.
    > 3. When oak board cannot be located a baseball bat will do nicely.

    You can do that with Thunderbird, as well as many other news programs.
    Just explore the menus, and you will find options to tell your computer
    how much to save, and to make the files available 'offline'. Nothing to
    it, but be aware this can rapidly deplete your HD space!

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  4. Re: News

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    >> Can someone here please recommend a newsgroup program that actually
    >> downloads news articles - as opposed to the process of showing temporary,
    >> simulated peeks onto someone's news server as offered by Thunderbird?
    >>
    >> Said otherwise, I'm looking for a news program that shows news
    >> articles on
    >> your screen (offline) as opposed to showing an index to articles on some
    >> computer in India or China. (I would also want to be able to save, move,
    >> copy or delete news files.)
    >>

    >> JimL
    >>
    >> --- Medical cure for Golden Parachute Disease:
    >>
    >> 1. Devise oak board 1 inch by 6 inches by 30 inches.
    >> 2. Apply to side of GP recipient's head daily until GP is fully
    >> refunded.
    >> 3. When oak board cannot be located a baseball bat will do nicely.

    > You can do that with Thunderbird, as well as many other news programs.
    > Just explore the menus, and you will find options to tell your computer
    > how much to save, and to make the files available 'offline'. Nothing to
    > it, but be aware this can rapidly deplete your HD space!

    && run up your usage stats...

  5. Re: News

    inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    > Can someone here please recommend a newsgroup program that actually
    > downloads news articles - as opposed to the process of showing temporary,
    > simulated peeks onto someone's news server as offered by Thunderbird?

    Most of them, if you configure them that way. Perhaps including the one
    you're using.

    If you otherwise like your current reader, you can run a local proxy
    like Hamster (I assume you're using Windows, but it would have been good
    to mention your OS since you're asking for programs), download as much
    of Usenet as you wish to your local system, and then access it - since
    it's now on your very own hardware - with whatever you're using now.

    > Said otherwise, I'm looking for a news program that shows news articles on

    Yes. "I'm looking for an offline news client" would've done it.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  6. Re: News

    > Can someone here please recommend a newsgroup program that actually
    > downloads news articles - as opposed to the process of showing temporary,
    > simulated peeks onto someone's news server as offered by Thunderbird?
    >
    > Said otherwise, I'm looking for a news program that shows news articles on
    > your screen (offline) as opposed to showing an index to articles on some
    > computer in India or China. (I would also want to be able to save, move,
    > copy or delete news files.)

    Hi Jim,
    Never heard of your reader

    You are on Windows, so you would have OutlookExpress, Windows Mail, or
    Windows Live Mail depending on when you started or updated to, they are
    all the same from user point of view. Since the mail and newsgroup sare
    stored on your machine, you have everything whether you are connected
    or not. After setting up the important thing is to group conversations
    (View, Current View, group by conversation)

    Directions to subscribe can be found at
    http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/01/instruc...sgroup-server/
    http://ilias.ca/moznewsgroups-oe

    Additonal directions in using OE can be found in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ie/oe6.htm

    --
    HTH,

  7. Re: News

    clay said:

    >Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    >>> Can someone here please recommend a newsgroup program that actually
    >>> downloads news articles - as opposed to the process of showing temporary,
    >>> simulated peeks onto someone's news server as offered by Thunderbird?
    >>>
    >>> Said otherwise, I'm looking for a news program that shows news
    >>> articles on
    >>> your screen (offline) as opposed to showing an index to articles on some
    >>> computer in India or China. (I would also want to be able to save, move,
    >>> copy or delete news files.)
    >>>

    >>> JimL
    >>>

    >> You can do that with Thunderbird, as well as many other news programs.
    >> Just explore the menus,

    TB menus basically turn off and on features that will get everything or
    scrap everything (some day).

    >> and you will find options to tell your computer
    >> how much to save, and to make the files available 'offline'. Nothing to
    >> it, but be aware this can rapidly deplete your HD space!

    Exactly why I'm looking for something that manages files instead of
    heaping them.

    >&& run up your usage stats...

    Yes, TB handles files bulldozer style. In for a penny in for a ton. Not
    good for the guy still on dial-up.

    I'm looking for a program with a little finesse. Like the one I'm having
    to abandon.

    JimL

    ---

  8. Re: News

    Blinky the Shark said:

    >inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    >> Can someone here please recommend a newsgroup program that actually
    >> downloads news articles - as opposed to the process of showing temporary,
    >> simulated peeks onto someone's news server as offered by Thunderbird?

    >Most of them, if you configure them that way. Perhaps including the one
    >you're using.

    TB has this all or nothing approach when handling real files. Get 'em
    all. Ditch 'em all. (Yes, it will bleed them off in batches, but still in
    a wholesale fashion.)

    >If you otherwise like your current reader, you can run a local proxy
    >like Hamster (I assume you're using Windows, but it would have been good
    >to mention your OS since you're asking for programs)

    Sorry. I was just on m.p.windowsxp.basics and forgot to switch thinking
    modes.

    , download as much
    >of Usenet as you wish to your local system, and then access it - since
    >it's now on your very own hardware - with whatever you're using now.

    (Using Internet Cruiser. Not secure, but there are plenty of incoming
    data checkers around.)

    Hmm. Very unfamiliar territory. And probably not in a category for
    simple minded folks.

    >> Said otherwise, I'm looking for a news program that shows news articles on

    >Yes. "I'm looking for an offline news client" would've done it.

    Except for the really important other. File management (>to be able to
    save, move, copy or delete [individual] news files. The wholesale TB
    approach doesn't get it if you're developing info lookups.

    JimL

    ---

  9. Re: News

    "David McRitchie" said:

    >Hi Jim,
    >Never heard of your reader

    Every news article is a descrete text file with the header at the top
    (displayed or not). Groups are sorted into place on selected criterion
    instead of strung out in trees. Love it.

    >You are on Windows, so you would have OutlookExpress, Windows Mail, or
    >Windows Live Mail depending on when you started or updated to, they are
    >all the same from user point of view. Since the mail and newsgroup sare
    >stored on your machine, you have everything whether you are connected or
    >not.

    Sounds like you "get" my point. But I've heard so many horror stories
    about those programs inviting really, really bad bugs and thugs into your
    computer....

    JimL

    ---

  10. Re: News

    inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com on 10/14/2008 11:43 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    > Blinky the Shark said:
    >
    >> inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:

    >>> Said otherwise, I'm looking for a news program that shows news articles on

    >> Yes. "I'm looking for an offline news client" would've done it.

    > Except for the really important other. File management (>to be able to
    > save, move, copy or delete [individual] news files. The wholesale TB
    > approach doesn't get it if you're developing info lookups.

    You seem to have a very basic misunderstanding about news. What gets
    downloaded are messages, *not* files. To manage messages you want to
    archive, You have to copy then from the subscribed news group into a local
    folder You create in the Local Files Account folder.

    --
    Ron K.

  11. Re: News

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:50:26 -0400, inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:

    > Can someone here please recommend a newsgroup program that actually
    > downloads news articles - as opposed to the process of showing temporary,
    > simulated peeks onto someone's news server as offered by Thunderbird?
    >
    > Said otherwise, I'm looking for a news program that shows news articles on
    > your screen (offline) as opposed to showing an index to articles on some
    > computer in India or China. (I would also want to be able to save, move,
    > copy or delete news files.)

    Look at and try these newsreaders that can do offline:
    40tude Dialog, XanaNews, XPN, MesNews, and Pan.

    --
    Rom

  12. Re: News

    "Ron K." said:

    >inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com on 10/14/2008 11:43 PM, keyboarded a reply: >
    >Blinky the Shark said:

    >>> Yes. "I'm looking for an offline news client" would've done it.

    >> Except for the really important other. File management (>to be able to
    >> save, move, copy or delete [individual] news files. The wholesale TB
    >> approach doesn't get it if you're developing info lookups.
    >>

    >You seem to have a very basic misunderstanding about news. What gets
    >downloaded are messages, *not* files. To manage messages you want to
    >archive, You have to copy then from the subscribed news group into a
    >local folder You create in the Local Files Account folder.

    I don't know it if you are dealing in semantics or what. I DO know there
    is a HUGE difference in how my old news program handles news articles and
    how many (maybe all) others do it. In it news articles ARE FILES. They
    are downloaded into descrete locations in folders on my drive. I can edit
    them descretely, copy them descretely, move them descretely and delete
    them descretely. From what I've found so far, no other newsgroup reader
    does it, but I'm still looking.

    If you mean to say most newsgroup readers don't handle news articles as
    files fine.

    If you mean to instruct me that no newsgroup reader on earth handles news
    articles as files, you are trying to teach me a non-fact.

    JimL

    ---
    Conservatives arise! Vote to spite the media!

  13. Re: News

    Rom <-@-.invalid> said:

    >On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:50:26 -0400, inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:

    >> Can someone here please recommend a newsgroup program that actually
    >> downloads news articles - as opposed to the process of showing temporary,
    >> simulated peeks onto someone's news server as offered by Thunderbird?
    >>
    >> Said otherwise, I'm looking for a news program that shows news articles on
    >> your screen (offline) as opposed to showing an index to articles on some
    >> computer in India or China. (I would also want to be able to save, move,
    >> copy or delete news files.)

    >Look at and try these newsreaders that can do offline:
    >40tude Dialog, XanaNews, XPN, MesNews, and Pan.

    Thanks

    JimL

    ---
    Conservatives arise! Vote to spite the media!

  14. Re: News

    inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com on 10/18/2008 3:29 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    > "Ron K." said:
    >

    >> inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com on 10/14/2008 11:43 PM, keyboarded a reply: >
    >>> Except for the really important other. File management (>to be able to
    >>> save, move, copy or delete [individual] news files. The wholesale TB
    >>> approach doesn't get it if you're developing info lookups.
    >>>

    >> You seem to have a very basic misunderstanding about news. What gets
    >> downloaded are messages, *not* files. To manage messages you want to
    >> archive, You have to copy then from the subscribed news group into a
    >> local folder You create in the Local Files Account folder.

    > I don't know it if you are dealing in semantics or what. I DO know there
    > is a HUGE difference in how my old news program handles news articles and
    > how many (maybe all) others do it. In it news articles ARE FILES. They
    > are downloaded into descrete locations in folders on my drive. I can edit
    > them descretely, copy them descretely, move them descretely and delete
    > them descretely. From what I've found so far, no other newsgroup reader
    > does it, but I'm still looking.
    >
    > If you mean to say most newsgroup readers don't handle news articles as
    > files fine.
    >
    > If you mean to instruct me that no newsgroup reader on earth handles news
    > articles as files, you are trying to teach me a non-fact.

    Your old news reader handled local message storage by a method I have not
    heard of prior to You posting. Thunderbird uses only one file per news
    group and it has two User configurations, Longevity of retention of headers
    and Longevity of retention of body content.

    --
    Ron K.

  15. Re: News

    Ron K. wrote:
    > inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com on 10/14/2008 11:43 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    >> Blinky the Shark said:

    >>> Yes. "I'm looking for an offline news client" would've done it.

    >> Except for the really important other. File management (>to be able to
    >> save, move, copy or delete [individual] news files. The wholesale TB
    >> approach doesn't get it if you're developing info lookups.
    >>

    > You seem to have a very basic misunderstanding about news. What gets
    > downloaded are messages, *not* files. To manage messages you want to
    > archive, You have to copy then from the subscribed news group into a local
    > folder You create in the Local Files Account folder.

    Depends on the news client. All news clients are not Thunderbird.