Re: Thread pane display - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Thread pane display - Mozilla ; Peter Lawson wrote: > It's a minor annoyance, but when I access a 'folder' containing unread > messages, those unread message headers are concealed below the bottom > of the thread pane and have to be brought into view with ...

  1. Re: Thread pane display

    Peter Lawson wrote:
    > It's a minor annoyance, but when I access a 'folder' containing unread
    > messages, those unread message headers are concealed below the bottom
    > of the thread pane and have to be brought into view with the
    > scrollbar. I have View 'All' selected.
    >
    > Anyone else irked by this?
    >
    > TB 2.0.0.17, default theme.

    Yes, this itches me too.

    Most of the time I have Thunderbird set up to show all messages
    ascending ordered by date, unthreaded.

    I would like Thunderbird to show some more new messages below the one
    I'm currently working on, because when I have for instance 50 new
    e-mails, after having read 10 of them I'm on the bottom of the thread
    pane and I don't see the rest anymore. I'd like Thunderbird to keep the
    current message in the center of the thread pane, so I can more easily
    see what's coming, but alas: it ain't that way and I don't have enough
    time to make it that way.

    I read on this newsgroup that when you haven't got a message selected in
    the folder and then access the folder, you will see the new, unread
    messages, but that's not my standard way of leaving the folder and
    returning to it.

    Maybe if you move every read message out of the Inbox, new unread
    messages would automatically scroll into view, but I don't work that way
    either.

    Onno

  2. Re: Thread pane display

    Onno Ekker on 10/13/2008 2:40 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    > Peter Lawson wrote:
    >> It's a minor annoyance, but when I access a 'folder' containing unread
    >> messages, those unread message headers are concealed below the bottom
    >> of the thread pane and have to be brought into view with the
    >> scrollbar. I have View 'All' selected.
    >>
    >> Anyone else irked by this?
    >>
    >> TB 2.0.0.17, default theme.

    > Yes, this itches me too.
    >
    > Most of the time I have Thunderbird set up to show all messages
    > ascending ordered by date, unthreaded.
    >
    > I would like Thunderbird to show some more new messages below the one
    > I'm currently working on, because when I have for instance 50 new
    > e-mails, after having read 10 of them I'm on the bottom of the thread
    > pane and I don't see the rest anymore. I'd like Thunderbird to keep the
    > current message in the center of the thread pane, so I can more easily
    > see what's coming, but alas: it ain't that way and I don't have enough
    > time to make it that way.
    >
    > I read on this newsgroup that when you haven't got a message selected in
    > the folder and then access the folder, you will see the new, unread
    > messages, but that's not my standard way of leaving the folder and
    > returning to it.
    >
    > Maybe if you move every read message out of the Inbox, new unread
    > messages would automatically scroll into view, but I don't work that way
    > either.
    >
    > Onno

    That is why I navigate the thread tree using the 'n' and 'p' keys to go to
    unread messages, skipping the old read stuff.

    --
    Ron K.

  3. Re: Thread pane display

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Onno Ekker on 10/13/2008 2:40 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    >> Peter Lawson wrote:
    >>> It's a minor annoyance, but when I access a 'folder' containing unread
    >>> messages, those unread message headers are concealed below the bottom
    >>> of the thread pane and have to be brought into view with the
    >>> scrollbar. I have View 'All' selected.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else irked by this?
    >>>
    >>> TB 2.0.0.17, default theme.

    >> Yes, this itches me too.
    >>
    >> Most of the time I have Thunderbird set up to show all messages
    >> ascending ordered by date, unthreaded.
    >>
    >> I would like Thunderbird to show some more new messages below the one
    >> I'm currently working on, because when I have for instance 50 new
    >> e-mails, after having read 10 of them I'm on the bottom of the thread
    >> pane and I don't see the rest anymore. I'd like Thunderbird to keep the
    >> current message in the center of the thread pane, so I can more easily
    >> see what's coming, but alas: it ain't that way and I don't have enough
    >> time to make it that way.
    >>
    >> I read on this newsgroup that when you haven't got a message selected in
    >> the folder and then access the folder, you will see the new, unread
    >> messages, but that's not my standard way of leaving the folder and
    >> returning to it.
    >>
    >> Maybe if you move every read message out of the Inbox, new unread
    >> messages would automatically scroll into view, but I don't work that way
    >> either.
    >>
    >> Onno

    > That is why I navigate the thread tree using the 'n' and 'p' keys to
    > go to unread messages, skipping the old read stuff.

    I do that too, but when the unread messages are concealed below the
    bottom of the thread pane, as the OP describes, pressing 'n' brings the
    first unread message to the bottom thread pane and the rest of the
    unread messages is still concealed. Only way to avoid that would
    probably be to switch from view "All" to "Unread".

    Onno

  4. Re: Thread pane display

    Onno Ekker on 10/13/2008 5:37 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    > Ron K. wrote:

    >>> Yes, this itches me too.
    >>>
    >>> Most of the time I have Thunderbird set up to show all messages
    >>> ascending ordered by date, unthreaded.

    >>> Maybe if you move every read message out of the Inbox, new unread
    >>> messages would automatically scroll into view, but I don't work that way
    >>> either.
    >>>

    >> That is why I navigate the thread tree using the 'n' and 'p' keys to
    >> go to unread messages, skipping the old read stuff.
    >>

    > I do that too, but when the unread messages are concealed below the
    > bottom of the thread pane, as the OP describes, pressing 'n' brings the
    > first unread message to the bottom thread pane and the rest of the
    > unread messages is still concealed. Only way to avoid that would
    > probably be to switch from view "All" to "Unread".

    What's your setting for this pref: mailnews.scroll_to_new_message

    --
    Ron K.

  5. Re: Thread pane display

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Onno Ekker on 10/13/2008 5:37 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> Onno Ekker on 10/13/2008 2:40 PM, keyboarded a reply:

    >>> That is why I navigate the thread tree using the 'n' and 'p' keys to
    >>> go to unread messages, skipping the old read stuff.
    >>>

    >> I do that too, but when the unread messages are concealed below the
    >> bottom of the thread pane, as the OP describes, pressing 'n' brings the
    >> first unread message to the bottom thread pane and the rest of the
    >> unread messages is still concealed. Only way to avoid that would
    >> probably be to switch from view "All" to "Unread".

    > What's your setting for this pref: mailnews.scroll_to_new_message

    It is set to the default, true. I just now googled a bit for it and also
    saw a reference to the pref mailnews.remember_selected_message which is
    also set to the default, true. I haven't found the exact meaning or
    purpose of either of those settings yet, though. Maybe you can enlighten me?

    Onno

  6. Re: Thread pane display

    Onno Ekker on 10/13/2008 6:41 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    > Ron K. wrote:

    >>> I do that too, but when the unread messages are concealed below the
    >>> bottom of the thread pane, as the OP describes, pressing 'n' brings the
    >>> first unread message to the bottom thread pane and the rest of the
    >>> unread messages is still concealed. Only way to avoid that would
    >>> probably be to switch from view "All" to "Unread".

    >> What's your setting for this pref: mailnews.scroll_to_new_message

    > It is set to the default, true. I just now googled a bit for it and also
    > saw a reference to the pref mailnews.remember_selected_message which is
    > also set to the default, true. I haven't found the exact meaning or
    > purpose of either of those settings yet, though. Maybe you can enlighten me?
    >
    > Onno

    My setting to mailnews.scroll_to_new_message is false. It has been a very
    long time since these were discussed. The remember_selected causes focus to
    go to the message last read when a folder/group is closed. The Scroll pref
    was something to do with focus going to the newest message received when
    opening a folder/group. In a way these two prefs could fight each other.

    Seems what this thread wants is when using 'n' that the focus go to the
    message and it be ? centered in the thread pane.

    --
    Ron K.