Converting from outlook 2003 to thunderbird. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Converting from outlook 2003 to thunderbird. - Mozilla ; Hi, I've just upgraded to a new laptop with vista on it and want to change my email client to thunderbird. Problem is I have over 10 years worth of emails in my PST file for Outlook 2003, plus I ...

  1. Converting from outlook 2003 to thunderbird.

    Hi,
    I've just upgraded to a new laptop with vista on it and want to change my
    email client to thunderbird.
    Problem is I have over 10 years worth of emails in my PST file for Outlook
    2003, plus I need to be able to sync up my PDA to the email client.

    So questions are:
    1) Can I extract all my emails, contacts, notes, and calendar from Outlook
    to Thunderbird?
    2) How secure is thunderbird?
    3) Can I sync up my PDA to thunderbird.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Converting from outlook 2003 to thunderbird.

    "Joe90" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I've just upgraded to a new laptop with vista on it and want to
    > change my email client to thunderbird.
    > Problem is I have over 10 years worth of emails in my PST file for
    > Outlook 2003, plus I need to be able to sync up my PDA to the
    > email client.
    >
    > So questions are:
    > 1) Can I extract all my emails, contacts, notes, and calendar from
    > Outlook to Thunderbird?

    Yes, the T'bird help files will point you here:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files

    > 2) How secure is thunderbird?

    At least as secure as Outlook.

    > 3) Can I sync up my PDA to thunderbird.

    I have to leave that for someone else to answer, sorry.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

  3. Re: Converting from outlook 2003 to thunderbird.

    XS11E on 10/13/2008 12:15 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    > "Joe90" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I've just upgraded to a new laptop with vista on it and want to
    >> change my email client to thunderbird.
    >> Problem is I have over 10 years worth of emails in my PST file for
    >> Outlook 2003, plus I need to be able to sync up my PDA to the
    >> email client.
    >>
    >> So questions are:
    >>

    >> 3) Can I sync up my PDA to thunderbird.

    > I have to leave that for someone else to answer, sorry.

    Tbird does not sync with any PDA. There are a handful of extensions to
    help, Palm and Nokia are the only ones I have seen. There are some other
    sync strategies, some use a remote site as intermediary.

    In the future the plan is to add sync features, possibly after Tb 3 and
    potentially before Tb 4. There has been a lot of effort put into improving
    the Addressbook which is preparation for future features.

    --
    Ron K.

  4. Re: Converting from outlook 2003 to thunderbird.

    XS11E wrote:
    > "Joe90" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I've just upgraded to a new laptop with vista on it and want to
    >> change my email client to thunderbird.
    >> Problem is I have over 10 years worth of emails in my PST file for
    >> Outlook 2003, plus I need to be able to sync up my PDA to the
    >> email client.
    >>
    >> So questions are:
    >> 1) Can I extract all my emails, contacts, notes, and calendar from
    >> Outlook to Thunderbird?

    > Yes, the T'bird help files will point you here:
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files
    >
    >> 2) How secure is thunderbird?

    > At least as secure as Outlook.
    >
    >> 3) Can I sync up my PDA to thunderbird.