newsgroup problems - Mozilla

This is a discussion on newsgroup problems - Mozilla ; m getting this error on new news messages: Error! newsgroup server responded:No Such Article Perhaps the article has expired (87613) Click here to remove all expired articles no way article expired - anyone know of a bug? running tbird 2.0.0.17 ...

  1. newsgroup problems

    m getting this error on new news messages:

    Error!
    newsgroup server responded:No Such Article

    Perhaps the article has expired

    (87613)

    Click here to remove all expired articles

    no way article expired - anyone know of a bug?
    running tbird 2.0.0.17 on ubuntu 8.04.
    ctrl/u shows blank source.

    If I go to another news server and come back to the offending one (cox,
    which farms out to highwinds) /sometimes/ the message will automagically
    appear, sometimes not.

    I'm also having what /should/ be unrelated problems with ubuntu nvidia
    driver but would like to take 1 thing at a time...

  2. Re: newsgroup problems

    On 10/11/2008 05:12 PM goodwin scribbled:

    > m getting this error on new news messages:
    >

    > Error!
    > newsgroup server responded:No Such Article
    >
    > Perhaps the article has expired
    >
    > (87613)
    >
    > Click here to remove all expired articles
    >

    > no way article expired - anyone know of a bug?
    > running tbird 2.0.0.17 on ubuntu 8.04.
    > ctrl/u shows blank source.
    >
    > If I go to another news server and come back to the offending one (cox,
    > which farms out to highwinds) /sometimes/ the message will automagically
    > appear, sometimes not.
    >
    > I'm also having what /should/ be unrelated problems with ubuntu nvidia
    > driver but would like to take 1 thing at a time...

    tbird error console shows
    Error: ClearMessagePane is not defined
    Source File: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindow.js
    Line: 443

    FWIW...

  3. Re: newsgroup problems

    goodwin on 10/11/2008 8:12 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    > m getting this error on new news messages:
    >

    > Error!
    > newsgroup server responded:No Such Article
    >
    > Perhaps the article has expired
    >
    > (87613)
    >
    > Click here to remove all expired articles
    >

    > no way article expired - anyone know of a bug?
    > running tbird 2.0.0.17 on ubuntu 8.04.
    > ctrl/u shows blank source.
    >
    > If I go to another news server and come back to the offending one (cox,
    > which farms out to highwinds) /sometimes/ the message will automagically
    > appear, sometimes not.
    >
    > I'm also having what /should/ be unrelated problems with ubuntu nvidia
    > driver but would like to take 1 thing at a time...

    The Error! You received is normal when a newsreader sends a request for a
    specific news message and the message is no longer on the server. In this
    case the Cox/Highwinds server is messing up, if during another session the
    message is served. It's strictly a server issue, not a Tb bug. Try cox Tech
    support and if Cox cares, they will file a trouble ticket with highwinds.

    --
    Ron K.

  4. Re: newsgroup problems

    goodwin on 10/11/2008 8:26 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    > On 10/11/2008 05:12 PM goodwin scribbled:
    >
    >> m getting this error on new news messages:
    >>

    >> Error!
    >> newsgroup server responded:No Such Article
    >>
    >> Perhaps the article has expired
    >>
    >> (87613)
    >>
    >> Click here to remove all expired articles
    >>

    >> no way article expired - anyone know of a bug?
    >> running tbird 2.0.0.17 on ubuntu 8.04.
    >> ctrl/u shows blank source.
    >>
    >> If I go to another news server and come back to the offending one (cox,
    >> which farms out to highwinds) /sometimes/ the message will automagically
    >> appear, sometimes not.
    >>
    >> I'm also having what /should/ be unrelated problems with ubuntu nvidia
    >> driver but would like to take 1 thing at a time...

    > tbird error console shows
    > Error: ClearMessagePane is not defined
    > Source File: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindow.js
    > Line: 443
    >
    > FWIW...

    I have never seen that in My Error Console. If there is a bug involved You
    will need to find the trigger that throws that message.

    --
    Ron K.

  5. Re: newsgroup problems

    On 10/11/2008 07:16 PM Ron K. scribbled:

    > The Error! You received is normal when a newsreader sends a request for a
    > specific news message and the message is no longer on the server. In this
    > case the Cox/Highwinds server is messing up, if during another session the
    > message is served. It's strictly a server issue, not a Tb bug. Try cox Tech
    > support and if Cox cares, they will file a trouble ticket with highwinds.

    thanks, Ron, I'll hold my breath...

  6. Re: newsgroup problems

    On 10/11/2008 08:44 PM goodwin scribbled:

    > On 10/11/2008 07:16 PM Ron K. scribbled:
    >

    >> The Error! You received is normal when a newsreader sends a request for a
    >> specific news message and the message is no longer on the server. In this
    >> case the Cox/Highwinds server is messing up, if during another session the
    >> message is served. It's strictly a server issue, not a Tb bug. Try cox Tech
    >> support and if Cox cares, they will file a trouble ticket with highwinds.
    >>

    > thanks, Ron, I'll hold my breath...

    went to cox support site - seems they have NNTP problems - sorry to jump
    in here first.
    But really, 3 days worth?

  7. Re: newsgroup problems

    goodwin on 10/11/2008 11:51 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    > On 10/11/2008 08:44 PM goodwin scribbled:
    >
    >> On 10/11/2008 07:16 PM Ron K. scribbled:
    >>

    >>> The Error! You received is normal when a newsreader sends a request for a
    >>> specific news message and the message is no longer on the server. In this
    >>> case the Cox/Highwinds server is messing up, if during another session the
    >>> message is served. It's strictly a server issue, not a Tb bug. Try cox Tech
    >>> support and if Cox cares, they will file a trouble ticket with highwinds.
    >>>

    >> thanks, Ron, I'll hold my breath...

    > went to cox support site - seems they have NNTP problems - sorry to jump
    > in here first.
    > But really, 3 days worth?

    I have been there with My ISP and there outsource to newshosting.com over a
    config change the host did on there server. Was a bugger for 3-4 days as I
    could not authenticate to log on.

    --
    Ron K.

  8. Re: newsgroup problems

    goodwin wrote:
    > m getting this error on new news messages:
    >

    > Error!
    > newsgroup server responded:No Such Article
    >
    > Perhaps the article has expired
    >
    > (87613)
    >
    > Click here to remove all expired articles
    >

    > no way article expired - anyone know of a bug?
    > running tbird 2.0.0.17 on ubuntu 8.04.
    > ctrl/u shows blank source.
    >
    > If I go to another news server and come back to the offending one (cox,
    > which farms out to highwinds) /sometimes/ the message will automagically
    > appear, sometimes not.
    >
    > I'm also having what /should/ be unrelated problems with ubuntu nvidia
    > driver but would like to take 1 thing at a time...

    The problem may not be at your end. The problem on some newsgroups is
    with a poster know as "Anonymous Remailer" or merely "Anonymous". This
    individual crossposts to rec.arts.disney.parks and that is a newsgroup
    that is heavily moderated. All posts not sparkling with goodness and
    light and praise of the Magic Kingdom are cancelled. All replies to one
    of this person's posts are automatically addressed to all the newsgroups
    that were crossposted to in to the original post. If you get a chance to
    expand the headers on one of the cancelled posts, you will see this
    newsgroup listed there. Or just reply to one and you will see that the
    reply is addressed to the rec.arts.disney.parks newsgroup, among others.

    Again, the problem may not be on your end. Everyone on the affected
    newsgroups are seeing these canceled posts. Some are listed as canceled
    and some are listed as expired. The posts listed as canceled can be
    checked for the which newsgroups they were addressed to.

+ Reply to Thread