Creating a filter - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Creating a filter - Mozilla ; I am trying to create a message rule ("filter" in TB terminology, "message rule" in OE . . . I'm an OE refugee . . . still getting accustomed to TB terminology) that will move a message with an attachment ...

  1. Creating a filter

    I am trying to create a message rule ("filter" in TB terminology, "message
    rule" in OE . . . I'm an OE refugee . . . still getting accustomed to TB
    terminology) that will move a message with an attachment to a special
    folder I created ("Messages with Attachments"). I don't see an
    "Attachments" listing under the first field for creating a filter (it
    only has "Subject", "From", "Body", etc.).

    So . . . can I do this, and if so how?
    --
    BJ

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  2. Re: Creating a filter

    BJ on 10/11/2008 8:08 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    > I am trying to create a message rule ("filter" in TB terminology, "message
    > rule" in OE . . . I'm an OE refugee . . . still getting accustomed to TB
    > terminology) that will move a message with an attachment to a special
    > folder I created ("Messages with Attachments"). I don't see an
    > "Attachments" listing under the first field for creating a filter (it
    > only has "Subject", "From", "Body", etc.).
    >
    > So . . . can I do this, and if so how?

    I am not a mail filter user, but will try giving some hints. If there is a
    Custom option, try it to see if You can create a special rule. The property
    is attach and its value would be true: "attach=true".

    --
    Ron K.

  3. Re: Creating a filter

    Ron K. wrote:
    > BJ on 10/11/2008 8:08 PM, keyboarded a reply:
    >> I am trying to create a message rule ("filter" in TB terminology,
    >> "message
    >> rule" in OE . . . I'm an OE refugee . . . still getting accustomed to TB
    >> terminology) that will move a message with an attachment to a special
    >> folder I created ("Messages with Attachments"). I don't see an
    >> "Attachments" listing under the first field for creating a filter (it
    >> only has "Subject", "From", "Body", etc.).
    >>
    >> So . . . can I do this, and if so how?

    > I am not a mail filter user, but will try giving some hints. If there
    > is a Custom option, try it to see if You can create a special rule. The
    > property is attach and its value would be true: "attach=true".

    Yes, there is a custom option and I'm experimenting with it but so far
    no joy. Will be more specific in a follow up. BTW, thanks much for the
    offer of help.

    --
    BJ

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  4. Re: Creating a filter

    BJ wrote:
    > I am trying to create a message rule ("filter" in TB terminology, "message
    > rule" in OE . . . I'm an OE refugee . . . still getting accustomed to TB
    > terminology) that will move a message with an attachment to a special
    > folder I created ("Messages with Attachments"). I don't see an
    > "Attachments" listing under the first field for creating a filter (it
    > only has "Subject", "From", "Body", etc.).
    >
    > So . . . can I do this, and if so how?

    Try this and see how it works for you. Use the customize option to
    create the header type Content-Type and then test that type as contains
    multipart then in the actions section send to .
    Hopefully this will catch all the types of attachments you are likely to
    receive. Hopefully it wont catch things you do not want. I have tried it
    with a text file attachment and a picture attachment and it got both.

    Hope this helps
    Keith

  5. Re: Creating a filter

    Keith N. McKenna on 10/12/2008 2:06 AM, keyboarded a reply:
    > BJ wrote:
    >> I am trying to create a message rule ("filter" in TB terminology,
    >> "message
    >> rule" in OE . . . I'm an OE refugee . . . still getting accustomed to TB
    >> terminology) that will move a message with an attachment to a special
    >> folder I created ("Messages with Attachments"). I don't see an
    >> "Attachments" listing under the first field for creating a filter (it
    >> only has "Subject", "From", "Body", etc.).
    >>
    >> So . . . can I do this, and if so how?

    > Try this and see how it works for you. Use the customize option to
    > create the header type Content-Type and then test that type as contains
    > multipart then in the actions section send to .
    > Hopefully this will catch all the types of attachments you are likely to
    > receive. Hopefully it wont catch things you do not want. I have tried it
    > with a text file attachment and a picture attachment and it got both.
    >
    > Hope this helps
    > Keith

    Speculating on this filter design. I wonder if a new header of
    "content-disposition" tested for contains "attach" and if necessary an
    additional step of contains "inline" would also do the trick.

    --
    Ron K.