Vista or FF 3.0.3 causing the problem? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Vista or FF 3.0.3 causing the problem? - Mozilla ; I have a strange problem that I can't really understand why. I'm gonna list down everything as detail as possible. My laptop is running on Vista Business with Firefox 3.0.3 installed and connected to a Belkin wireless router. Whenever I ...

  1. Vista or FF 3.0.3 causing the problem?

    I have a strange problem that I can't really understand why. I'm gonna
    list down everything as detail as possible.
    My laptop is running on Vista Business with Firefox 3.0.3 installed
    and connected to a Belkin wireless router.

    Whenever I try to open certain sites FF, 50-80% of it will get network
    timeout. Moreover, sites like Facebook will take ages to load and
    stuck at Connecting to static.ak.fbcdn.net

    The strange part is, this problem seems to be replicable at IE 7 and
    Google Chrome. So which makes me think back, could it be due to Vista?
    After googling around, I've tried several recommended fixes such as
    disabling the TCP/IP auto tuning, reset the winsock and TCP/IP stacks
    to default, etc. Seems like still the same. But since I have another
    machine connected to the same wireless router which runs on XP SP3 and
    FF 3.0.3, I decided to test load those pages. It seems to load okay
    but not on my Vista lappy.

    Then, I decided to give Safari a try on my Vista and hey it works !
    Safari is able to load most of the pages smoothly and even Facebook

    So now I'm pretty lost, I don't know where are the problems whether
    could it be the browsers or Vista? Or could it be due to the router
    firmware? Or could it be due to some compatibility issue between
    certain browsers with Vista?

    If this continues, I'll probably go back to XP SP3
    Hopefully some experts know what to do

  2. Re: Vista or FF 3.0.3 causing the problem?

    "russel" wrote in message news:85d0a499-4764-4ee4-a512-039b9b44313f@g17g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
    > I have a strange problem that I can't really understand why. I'm gonna
    > list down everything as detail as possible.
    > My laptop is running on Vista Business with Firefox 3.0.3 installed
    > and connected to a Belkin wireless router.
    >
    > Whenever I try to open certain sites FF, 50-80% of it will get network
    > timeout. Moreover, sites like Facebook will take ages to load and
    > stuck at Connecting to static.ak.fbcdn.net
    >
    > The strange part is, this problem seems to be replicable at IE 7 and
    > Google Chrome. So which makes me think back, could it be due to Vista?
    > After googling around, I've tried several recommended fixes such as
    > disabling the TCP/IP auto tuning, reset the winsock and TCP/IP stacks
    > to default, etc. Seems like still the same. But since I have another
    > machine connected to the same wireless router which runs on XP SP3 and
    > FF 3.0.3, I decided to test load those pages. It seems to load okay
    > but not on my Vista lappy.
    >
    > Then, I decided to give Safari a try on my Vista and hey it works !
    > Safari is able to load most of the pages smoothly and even Facebook
    >
    > So now I'm pretty lost, I don't know where are the problems whether
    > could it be the browsers or Vista? Or could it be due to the router
    > firmware? Or could it be due to some compatibility issue between
    > certain browsers with Vista?
    >
    > If this continues, I'll probably go back to XP SP3
    > Hopefully some experts know what to do

    The following may help with Vista
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/vista/vista.htm

    Where did you come up with the page you mentioned for Facebook
    which looks suspicious to me. What about http://www.facebook.com/
    does that lead to the page you mention.

    --
    HTH,

  3. Re: Vista or FF 3.0.3 causing the problem?

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "russel" wrote in message
    >> I have a strange problem that I can't really understand why. I'm gonna
    >> list down everything as detail as possible.
    >> My laptop is running on Vista Business with Firefox 3.0.3 installed
    >> and connected to a Belkin wireless router.
    >>
    >> Whenever I try to open certain sites FF, 50-80% of it will get network
    >> timeout. Moreover, sites like Facebook will take ages to load and
    >> stuck at Connecting to static.ak.fbcdn.net
    >>
    >> The strange part is, this problem seems to be replicable at IE 7 and
    >> Google Chrome. So which makes me think back, could it be due to Vista?
    >> After googling around, I've tried several recommended fixes such as
    >> disabling the TCP/IP auto tuning, reset the winsock and TCP/IP stacks
    >> to default, etc. Seems like still the same. But since I have another
    >> machine connected to the same wireless router which runs on XP SP3 and
    >> FF 3.0.3, I decided to test load those pages. It seems to load okay
    >> but not on my Vista lappy.
    >>
    >> Then, I decided to give Safari a try on my Vista and hey it works !
    >> Safari is able to load most of the pages smoothly and even Facebook
    >>
    >> So now I'm pretty lost, I don't know where are the problems whether
    >> could it be the browsers or Vista? Or could it be due to the router
    >> firmware? Or could it be due to some compatibility issue between
    >> certain browsers with Vista?
    >>
    >> If this continues, I'll probably go back to XP SP3
    >> Hopefully some experts know what to do

    > The following may help with Vista
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/vista/vista.htm
    >
    > Where did you come up with the page you mentioned for Facebook
    > which looks suspicious to me. What about http://www.facebook.com/
    > does that lead to the page you mention.

    I believe that Facebook address is specific to Canadian users. I see it
    regularly when I use FB. FWIW, I have no trouble using FF 3.03 on WinXP
    to view Facebook pages.

  4. Re: Vista or FF 3.0.3 causing the problem?

    Let me show you an example of how facebook will look like on my Vista
    with FF 3.0.3 after it took ages to load.

    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/sissonne/FFFB.jpg

    Even images.google.com is not loading up. All the images didn't load
    up after it took a minute or 2 trying to Connect to tbn0.google.com.

    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ne/FFImage.jpg

    I even tried flushing the DNS and it didn't work either
    Sigh. Now to filter our the probability of the router firmware, I will
    try to connect my laptop to another network tomorrow.
    Will keep you guys posted on my weird problems.

    Meanwhile, keep the suggestions coming !! Really need em ! Before I
    start to throw a wrench at Vista and change it to XP :P

  5. Re: Vista or FF 3.0.3 causing the problem?

    Okay now Safari is failing on me too, giving me loads of Failed to
    open page errors consistently. Need to refresh alot of times to get a
    page open up.
    This network timeout problem is driving me crazy especially when I got
    to google for solutions with my other FF 3.0.3 that is running on XP
    SP3 within the same home network.

    I shall now compiled a list of what I've done and it didn't help:

    1. Disabled tcp autotuning.
    2. Reset winsock and tcp stacks.
    3. Flushed DNS.
    4. Upgraded router to latest firmware.
    5. Disabled IPv6 and teredo tunneling in registry.

    Hmm...what did I missed out ? Or rather what can I do more ?

  6. Re: Vista or FF 3.0.3 causing the problem?

    russel wrote:

    > I have a strange problem that I can't really understand why. I'm gonna
    > list down everything as detail as possible.
    > My laptop is running on Vista Business with Firefox 3.0.3 installed
    > and connected to a Belkin wireless router.
    >
    > Whenever I try to open certain sites FF, 50-80% of it will get network
    > timeout. Moreover, sites like Facebook will take ages to load and
    > stuck at Connecting to static.ak.fbcdn.net
    >
    > The strange part is, this problem seems to be replicable at IE 7 and
    > Google Chrome. So which makes me think back, could it be due to Vista?
    > After googling around, I've tried several recommended fixes such as
    > disabling the TCP/IP auto tuning, reset the winsock and TCP/IP stacks
    > to default, etc. Seems like still the same. But since I have another
    > machine connected to the same wireless router which runs on XP SP3 and
    > FF 3.0.3, I decided to test load those pages. It seems to load okay
    > but not on my Vista lappy.
    >
    > Then, I decided to give Safari a try on my Vista and hey it works !
    > Safari is able to load most of the pages smoothly and even Facebook
    >
    > So now I'm pretty lost, I don't know where are the problems whether
    > could it be the browsers or Vista? Or could it be due to the router
    > firmware? Or could it be due to some compatibility issue between
    > certain browsers with Vista?
    >
    > If this continues, I'll probably go back to XP SP3
    > Hopefully some experts know what to do

    Does a reboot cure the problem when it occurs? I've a similar problem on
    my desktop computer (connected to the router via Ethernet) whereby
    Firefox (or IE7) just fails to load anything - with one exception, I can
    still access Mozilla updates from my RSS feed. A reboot cures it
    immediately. It may be a complete red herring, but the update site is a
    secure site (https - so currently I'm waiting for it to happen again
    to see if I can access other https: sites. Were the sites that you
    *could* reach https: addresses?

    I've updated the firmware on my Netgear WiFi router, to no avail. I'm
    guessing (and it is nothing but a guess - I'm not very technical) that
    it is connected with Vista (it didn't happen under XP) and may be
    related to security settings. I've contacted Netgear and got no useful
    help at all - but then if it's a Vista problem that's hardly surprising.
    I've asked around in the Windows newsgroups and got no useful
    information either. I can't see how it can be a Firefox problem as
    switching to IE7 doesn't help.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to e-mail

  7. Re: Vista or FF 3.0.3 causing the problem?

    Nah reboot doesn't cure it and this problem seems to be intermittent
    whereby at certain period it keeps on timeout and suddenly there is a
    short burst of bandwitdh for transmit/receive whereby it works for
    like 10-20seconds.

    Anyhow, I've found something different and interesting now.

    I've tried to connect my Vista to another network that is connected to
    DLink wireless router and it seems to work perfectly alright ! No
    network timeout at all and everything is smooth.
    So now seems that I've isolated the problem. Don't think its a browser
    problem but more of router and Vista compatibility issue? Hmm not sure
    though.

    But I thought most of the routers have already patched up their
    drivers a year ago and especially we're talking about Belkin wireless
    router (with ADSL modem). Furthermore, I've upgraded the firmware for
    that Belkin router and Belkin brand was listed in Microsoft Vista's
    list of compatible routers/switches.

    This still sucks though, which means that there is a high chance that
    my Vista wouldn't work perfectly whenever I roam to certain networks
    that are running on certain routers/switches that are not 100%
    compatible with Vista

+ Reply to Thread