Help me understand this query - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Help me understand this query - Mozilla ; While attempting to create a query to list unfiled bookmarks, sorted most recently bookmarked first, I copied the query from 'recently bookmarked' (from the organize bookmarks library) and then edited it as seemed appropriate, and used the edited version for ...

  1. Help me understand this query

    While attempting to create a query to list unfiled bookmarks, sorted most
    recently bookmarked first, I copied the query from 'recently bookmarked'
    (from the organize bookmarks library) and then edited it as seemed
    appropriate, and used the edited version for my desired unfiled bookmarks
    query. Making what I later realized was an editing error (error as in not
    what I had intended), I accidentally stumbled on to something that works:

    place:folder=folder=UNFILED_BOOKMARKS&queryType=1&sort=12&excludeItemIfParentHasAnnotation=livemark%2FfeedUR I&excludeQueries=1

    What I actually meant to try:
    place:folder=UNFILED_BOOKMARKS&queryType=1&sort=12&excludeItemIfParentHasAnnotation=livemark%2FfeedUR I&excludeQueries=1
    does not work. I appear to be misunderstanding something here. Can someone
    explain why the first mentioned query works, but the second does not?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Help me understand this query

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:14:59 -0400
    "custom.firefox.lady" wrote:

    > While attempting to create a query to list unfiled bookmarks, sorted
    > most recently bookmarked first, I copied the query from 'recently
    > bookmarked' (from the organize bookmarks library) and then edited it
    > as seemed appropriate, and used the edited version for my desired
    > unfiled bookmarks query. Making what I later realized was an editing
    > error (error as in not what I had intended), I accidentally stumbled
    > on to something that works:
    >
    > place:folder=folder=UNFILED_BOOKMARKS&queryType=1&sort=12&excludeItemIfParentHasAnnotation=livemark%2FfeedUR I&excludeQueries=1
    >
    > What I actually meant to try:
    > place:folder=UNFILED_BOOKMARKS&queryType=1&sort=12&excludeItemIfParentHasAnnotation=livemark%2FfeedUR I&excludeQueries=1
    > does not work. I appear to be misunderstanding something here. Can
    > someone explain why the first mentioned query works, but the second
    > does not? Thanks.

    Both "work" for me, but differently. I can't explain any of this, just
    reporting what I see, using Fx 3.0.3 under GNU/Linux. I used a fresh
    profile and just bookmarked a few things before testing.

    The first one gets a "places query" icon and give results which are not
    in "Unsorted Bookmarks" as well as results which are there.

    The second one gets a normal folder icon and only included results
    which are in "Unsorted Bookmarks".

    I can't find any where these things are documented either at devmo or
    sumo. ISTR some blog posts about them, but I can't find them now.

  3. Re: Help me understand this query

    Q wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:14:59 -0400
    > "custom.firefox.lady" wrote:
    >
    >> While attempting to create a query to list unfiled bookmarks, sorted
    >> most recently bookmarked first, I copied the query from 'recently
    >> bookmarked' (from the organize bookmarks library) and then edited it
    >> as seemed appropriate, and used the edited version for my desired
    >> unfiled bookmarks query. Making what I later realized was an editing
    >> error (error as in not what I had intended), I accidentally stumbled
    >> on to something that works:
    >>
    >> place:folder=folder=UNFILED_BOOKMARKS&queryType=1&sort=12&excludeItemIfParentHasAnnotation=livemark%2FfeedUR I&excludeQueries=1
    >>
    >> What I actually meant to try:
    >> place:folder=UNFILED_BOOKMARKS&queryType=1&sort=12&excludeItemIfParentHasAnnotation=livemark%2FfeedUR I&excludeQueries=1
    >> does not work. I appear to be misunderstanding something here. Can
    >> someone explain why the first mentioned query works, but the second
    >> does not? Thanks.

    > Both "work" for me, but differently. I can't explain any of this, just
    > reporting what I see, using Fx 3.0.3 under GNU/Linux. I used a fresh
    > profile and just bookmarked a few things before testing.
    >
    > The first one gets a "places query" icon and give results which are not
    > in "Unsorted Bookmarks" as well as results which are there.
    >
    > The second one gets a normal folder icon and only included results
    > which are in "Unsorted Bookmarks".
    >
    > I can't find any where these things are documented either at devmo or
    > sumo. ISTR some blog posts about them, but I can't find them now.

    This should help:
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Places_query_URIs

  4. Re: Help me understand this query

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:17:31 +1100
    Yeebok Shu'in wrote:

    > »Q« wrote:

    > > I can't find any where these things are documented either at devmo
    > > or sumo. ISTR some blog posts about them, but I can't find them
    > > now.

    > This should help:
    > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Places_query_URIs

    Thanks! I don't know how I missed that page -- I swear I /did/ look!

  5. Re: Help me understand this query

    »Q« wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:17:31 +1100
    > Yeebok Shu'in wrote:
    >
    >> »Q« wrote:

    >>> I can't find any where these things are documented either at devmo
    >>> or sumo. ISTR some blog posts about them, but I can't find them
    >>> now.

    >> This should help:
    >> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Places_query_URIs

    > Thanks! I don't know how I missed that page -- I swear I /did/ look!

    If I remember correctly / IIRC, I had a sod of a time finding that too.
    The other 'places' link I had is now a dead one - I'll post it in case
    you can work out where it buggered off to:

    no text :
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places (same with 'places' instead)

    Works (simple but effective enough)
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...kmarks+folders

  6. Re: Help me understand this query

    "Q" wrote in message
    news:20081011182726.01beb646@bellgrove.remarqs.net ...
    > Both "work" for me, but differently.

    When I said 'does not work', I meant does not do what I expected (sort them
    by date added), not 'does nothing'.

    > The first one gets a "places query" icon and give results which are not
    > in "Unsorted Bookmarks" as well as results which are there.

    Ahh, I missed that it is using *all* bookmarks, not just unfiled ones, which
    in my case just happened to be the most recent and I'd never scrolled down
    that far. (No wonder it seemed a bit slow - it was sorting *way* more than I
    realized.)

    > The second one gets a normal folder icon and only included results
    > which are in "Unsorted Bookmarks".

    Yes, but in my case anyway, they were not sorted most recently added first,
    but rather the other way around.

    So, anyway, I went back to the 'recently bookmarked' query that I'd
    originally started from and started editing it bit by bit until I found
    where it quit working as I expected. I finally found what works as I
    wanted/expected:
    place:folder=UNFILED_BOOKMARKS&sort=12&excludeQueries=1&excludeItemIfParentHasAnnotation=livemark%2FfeedUR I&maxResults=1000&queryType=1

    Take out the maxResults parameter and it doesn't sort as desired/expected.
    I've not seen documented anywhere that maxResults is required and if you add
    in another folder, it no longer seems required. Knowing I will never have
    1000 unfiled bookmarks, setting the max to 1000 means it will list all of
    them.

    Thanks for your report, it made me realize that neither of my original
    queries actually did exactly what I wanted, and now I've gotten that.

    "Yeebok Shu'in" wrote in message
    news:PcWdnQEFv4ON9GzVnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>> This should help:
    >>> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Places_query_URIs

    Thanks, also. It's good, but doesn't explain the maxResults issue I noted
    above.

+ Reply to Thread