Newsgroup searches - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Newsgroup searches - Mozilla ; There was a posting here about Newsgroup searches and the xpat error . . .. can't find that post now. Anyway, the poster was bemoaning the fact that he/she couldn't do Newsgroup searches with the Find command because he/she kept ...

  1. Newsgroup searches

    There was a posting here about Newsgroup searches and the xpat error . .
    .. can't find that post now.

    Anyway, the poster was bemoaning the fact that he/she couldn't do
    Newsgroup searches with the Find command because he/she kept getting the
    xpat error, and someone replied that the View>Toolbar>Search works
    because that's not dependent on xpat. (And some/most newsgroup servers
    don't support xpat because it overtaxes the server). And he she was
    bemoaning also that only the "Subject" and "From" search fields were
    available for Newsgroups.

    However, I just did an experiment by going off line and downloading all
    the newsgroup messages (for my setting on headers), and in that config
    the find DOES work (because it's not a query to the newsgroup server on
    line) for everything, including things like the "Body" field.

    Probably not a revelation for the experienced users here, but
    nevertheless enlightening for me and perhaps that poster.

    (And you'd think I could have found that post with my off line search,
    but it returned "No Matches" when I searched on "xpat" in the body. I
    should have starred that post I guess . . . but then maybe it was out of
    the range of headers that I downloaded for off line reading and searching).

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  2. Re: Newsgroup searches

    "http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.thunderbird/search?group=mozilla.support.thunderbird&q=XPAT&qt_g=Search+this+group"

    > Anyway, the poster was bemoaning the fact that he/she couldn't do
    > Newsgroup searches with the Find command because he/she kept getting the
    > xpat error, and someone replied that the View>Toolbar>Search works
    > because that's not dependent on xpat. (And some/most newsgroup servers
    > don't support xpat because it overtaxes the server). And he she was
    > bemoaning also that only the "Subject" and "From" search fields were
    > available for Newsgroups.
    >
    > However, I just did an experiment by going off line and downloading all
    > the newsgroup messages (for my setting on headers), and in that config
    > the find DOES work (because it's not a query to the newsgroup server on
    > line) for everything, including things like the "Body" field.
    >
    > Probably not a revelation for the experienced users here, but
    > nevertheless enlightening for me and perhaps that poster.
    >
    > (And you'd think I could have found that post with my off line search,
    > but it returned "No Matches" when I searched on "xpat" in the body. I
    > should have starred that post I guess . . . but then maybe it was out of
    > the range of headers that I downloaded for off line reading and searching).

    May be you have set 'Retention Policy' of that newsgroup to a smaller value.

  3. Re: Newsgroup searches

    Nir wrote:

    > May be you have set 'Retention Policy' of that newsgroup to a smaller
    > value.

    I have my Retention Policy on this group set to "Don't delete any
    messages". Intuitively, that would seem to say this isn't an issue
    here. Am I wrong on that??

    --
    BJ

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  4. Re: Newsgroup searches

    Nir wrote:

    > May be you have set 'Retention Policy' of that newsgroup to a smaller
    > value.

    I just downloaded another group of 400 or so headers twice and finally
    got back to it. It was on Sept 7th, and my other cutoff was Sept 27th.
    So it was as I thought.

    Thanks for the Internet link, BTW, it helped me see the date I needed.

    So do these things rotate? I mean, if I have only 400 headers set, does
    it stay at 400 by eliminating the tail end?? Sort of like a space
    allocation for restore points. If you have 100MB devoted to restore
    points, then when it reaches that level it doesn't allocate any more and
    if you make another restore point it truncates the oldest in order to
    stay at 100MB. Same idea??

    --
    BJ

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  5. Re: Newsgroup searches

    On 11/10/2008 12:20, BJ wrote:

    > So do these things rotate? I mean, if I have only 400 headers set, does
    > it stay at 400 by eliminating the tail end?? Sort of like a space
    > allocation for restore points. If you have 100MB devoted to restore
    > points, then when it reaches that level it doesn't allocate any more and
    > if you make another restore point it truncates the oldest in order to
    > stay at 100MB. Same idea??

    Yes, when you receive new headers and the total number exceeds the
    number you have set, oldest headers are deleted (as many as necessary).

  6. Re: Newsgroup searches

    On 10/11/2008 03:42 AM Alex Walker scribbled:

    > On 11/10/2008 12:20, BJ wrote:
    >
    >> So do these things rotate? I mean, if I have only 400 headers set, does
    >> it stay at 400 by eliminating the tail end?? Sort of like a space
    >> allocation for restore points. If you have 100MB devoted to restore
    >> points, then when it reaches that level it doesn't allocate any more and
    >> if you make another restore point it truncates the oldest in order to
    >> stay at 100MB. Same idea??
    >>

    > Yes, when you receive new headers and the total number exceeds the
    > number you have set, oldest headers are deleted (as many as necessary).

    I don't understand that.

    One d/ls 400 headers. One can then go to the file menu and d/l next x,
    I believe that x is whatever your limit setting is, and one gets the
    next batch. Works for me on line. If one is off line, one would need
    to go back on to get more messages, yes?

    Whats deleted where?

  7. Re: Newsgroup searches

    On 11/10/2008 16:01, goodwin wrote:
    > On 10/11/2008 03:42 AM Alex Walker scribbled:
    >
    >> On 11/10/2008 12:20, BJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> So do these things rotate? I mean, if I have only 400 headers set, does
    >>> it stay at 400 by eliminating the tail end?? Sort of like a space
    >>> allocation for restore points. If you have 100MB devoted to restore
    >>> points, then when it reaches that level it doesn't allocate any more and
    >>> if you make another restore point it truncates the oldest in order to
    >>> stay at 100MB. Same idea??
    >>>

    >> Yes, when you receive new headers and the total number exceeds the
    >> number you have set, oldest headers are deleted (as many as necessary).

    > I don't understand that.
    >
    > One d/ls 400 headers. One can then go to the file menu and d/l next x,
    > I believe that x is whatever your limit setting is, and one gets the
    > next batch. Works for me on line. If one is off line, one would need
    > to go back on to get more messages, yes?
    >
    > Whats deleted where?

    I am talking about the case when you have set your Retention Policy
    options to "Delete all but the last 'X' messages", e.g. X is 400.

  8. Re: Newsgroup searches

    On 10/11/2008 07:54 AM Alex Walker scribbled:

    > On 11/10/2008 16:01, goodwin wrote:
    >>
    >> Whats deleted where?

    > I am talking about the case when you have set your Retention Policy
    > options to "Delete all but the last 'X' messages", e.g. X is 400.

    ah, thanks, alex, was adding 2+2 and getting 5...

+ Reply to Thread