Installing update - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Installing update - Mozilla ; I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info about how to do an update. I don't know if the safest way (safest for my definition is maintaining my existing extensions, my column settings, preferences, and all my emails and newsgroup subscriptions, ...

  1. Installing update

    I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info about how to do an update. I don't
    know if the safest way (safest for my definition is maintaining my
    existing extensions, my column settings, preferences, and all my emails
    and newsgroup subscriptions, and my stability . . . btw, I DO realize
    that stability cannot be guaranteed, but at least I'd like to keep the
    add ons).

    On the "more info" link in the update window (release notes for
    2.0.0.17), for example it says on the one hand:

    "Please note that installing Thunderbird 2 will overwrite your existing
    installation of Thunderbird. You won't lose any of your mail, but some
    of your extensions and other add-ons might not work . . . "

    This would lead me to believe that my extensions are at risk and I might
    have to go through the tedious process of reinstalling them all again if
    I let the update overwrite the existing installation of 2.0.0.16.

    And then it says:

    "Removing Thunderbird 2 won't remove your email messages, extensions or
    other add-ons. This data is stored in your profile folder. Any version
    of Thunderbird that you install after removing Thunderbird 2 will
    continue to use the data from this profile folder."

    Which in addition to seeming to be in conflict with the first statement,
    leads me to believe that to be safe I should uninstall my version
    2.0.0.16 first and then install version 2.0.0.17 (the update) and back
    up my preferences file (which I should probably do which ever method I
    choose).

    The KB articles on this topic are confusing also.

    Or am I reading these things wrong??

    My preferences file is a javascipt file . . . prefs.js . . . isn't it??
    (I know where the prefs.js file is and I haven't made a user.js file,
    but I wouldn't think I would need a user.js file for this operation . .
    .. or would I?)

    So, since my goal is to preserve the extensions I have already
    installed, should I FIRST uninstall 2.0.0.16, or will that extinguish
    forever my existing extensions loading in the update?
    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  2. Re: Installing update

    On 10.10.2008 08:47, BJ wrote:
    > I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info about how to do an update. I don't
    > know if the safest way (safest for my definition is maintaining my
    > existing extensions, my column settings, preferences, and all my emails
    > and newsgroup subscriptions, and my stability . . . btw, I DO realize
    > that stability cannot be guaranteed, but at least I'd like to keep the
    > add ons).

    > On the "more info" link in the update window (release notes for
    > 2.0.0.17), for example it says on the one hand:

    > "Please note that installing Thunderbird 2 will overwrite your existing
    > installation of Thunderbird. You won't lose any of your mail, but some
    > of your extensions and other add-ons might not work . . . "
    >
    > This would lead me to believe that my extensions are at risk and I might
    > have to go through the tedious process of reinstalling them all again if
    > I let the update overwrite the existing installation of 2.0.0.16.

    It is a warning - since the code is changed between versions Thunderbird
    (the team) can not garantee that extensions will still work. Think of it
    as a disclaimer. But it will sometimes happen!

    > And then it says:
    >
    > "Removing Thunderbird 2 won't remove your email messages, extensions or
    > other add-ons. This data is stored in your profile folder. Any version
    > of Thunderbird that you install after removing Thunderbird 2 will
    > continue to use the data from this profile folder."
    >
    > Which in addition to seeming to be in conflict with the first statement,
    > leads me to believe that to be safe I should uninstall my version
    > 2.0.0.16 first and then install version 2.0.0.17 (the update) and back
    > up my preferences file (which I should probably do which ever method I
    > choose).

    If you uninstall Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 and then install the same version
    again your extensions will still work and no preferences will be missing.
    If you uninstall Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 and then install another version
    there might be conflicts between your extensions and preferences and your
    now existing version of Thunderbird

    Clearer?

    JarrE

  3. Re: Installing update

    JarrE wrote:
    > On 10.10.2008 08:47, BJ wrote:
    >> I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info about how to do an update. I
    >> don't know if the safest way (safest for my definition is maintaining
    >> my existing extensions, my column settings, preferences, and all my
    >> emails and newsgroup subscriptions, and my stability . . . btw, I DO
    >> realize that stability cannot be guaranteed, but at least I'd like to
    >> keep the add ons).

    >> On the "more info" link in the update window (release notes for
    >> 2.0.0.17), for example it says on the one hand:

    >> "Please note that installing Thunderbird 2 will overwrite your
    >> existing installation of Thunderbird. You won't lose any of your mail,
    >> but some of your extensions and other add-ons might not work . . . "
    >>
    >> This would lead me to believe that my extensions are at risk and I
    >> might have to go through the tedious process of reinstalling them all
    >> again if I let the update overwrite the existing installation of
    >> 2.0.0.16.

    > It is a warning - since the code is changed between versions Thunderbird
    > (the team) can not garantee that extensions will still work. Think of it
    > as a disclaimer. But it will sometimes happen!
    >
    >> And then it says:
    >>
    >> "Removing Thunderbird 2 won't remove your email messages, extensions
    >> or other add-ons. This data is stored in your profile folder. Any
    >> version of Thunderbird that you install after removing Thunderbird 2
    >> will continue to use the data from this profile folder."
    >>
    >> Which in addition to seeming to be in conflict with the first
    >> statement, leads me to believe that to be safe I should uninstall my
    >> version 2.0.0.16 first and then install version 2.0.0.17 (the update)
    >> and back up my preferences file (which I should probably do which ever
    >> method I choose).

    > If you uninstall Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 and then install the same version
    > again your extensions will still work and no preferences will be missing.
    > If you uninstall Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 and then install another version
    > there might be conflicts between your extensions and preferences and
    > your now existing version of Thunderbird
    >
    > Clearer?
    >
    > JarrE

    Well . . . I took a chance and just downloaded the update and let it
    overwrite.

    It did it all very nicely and scanned for compatibility with the add ons
    (as part of the install process) and everything was fine.

    I assume if it had found one that needed updating to be compatible, it
    either would have told me which one it was or gone ahead and made the
    update to the add on.

    In any case, all my add ons were intact, and so also was EVERYTHING else.

    The update was trivial. It really went smooth.

    I suspect that was because the "leap" from 2.0.0.16 to 2.0.0.17 was
    small indeed.

    So now I'm wondering if I will have to do the complete uninstall dance
    when they come out with 3.0? Or will an overwrite just tell me which add
    ons need updating and disable them 'till they're updated to be
    compatible with 3?

    Delete all the NOSPAMs from the email address after clicking Reply.

  4. Re: Installing update

    BJ wrote, On 10/10/08 12:17:
    > I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info about how to do an update. I don't
    > know if the safest way (safest for my definition is maintaining my
    > existing extensions, my column settings, preferences, and all my emails
    > and newsgroup subscriptions, and my stability . . . btw, I DO realize
    > that stability cannot be guaranteed, but at least I'd like to keep the
    > add ons).
    >
    > On the "more info" link in the update window (release notes for
    > 2.0.0.17), for example it says on the one hand:
    >
    > "Please note that installing Thunderbird 2 will overwrite your existing
    > installation of Thunderbird. You won't lose any of your mail, but some
    > of your extensions and other add-ons might not work . . . "
    >
    > This would lead me to believe that my extensions are at risk and I might
    > have to go through the tedious process of reinstalling them all again if
    > I let the update overwrite the existing installation of 2.0.0.16.
    >
    > And then it says:
    >
    > "Removing Thunderbird 2 won't remove your email messages, extensions or
    > other add-ons. This data is stored in your profile folder. Any version
    > of Thunderbird that you install after removing Thunderbird 2 will
    > continue to use the data from this profile folder."
    >
    > Which in addition to seeming to be in conflict with the first statement,
    > leads me to believe that to be safe I should uninstall my version
    > 2.0.0.16 first and then install version 2.0.0.17 (the update) and back
    > up my preferences file (which I should probably do which ever method I
    > choose).
    >
    > The KB articles on this topic are confusing also.
    >
    > Or am I reading these things wrong??
    >
    > My preferences file is a javascipt file . . . prefs.js . . . isn't it??

    Right.

    > (I know where the prefs.js file is and I haven't made a user.js file,
    > but I wouldn't think I would need a user.js file for this operation . .
    > .. or would I?)

    user.js file is not needed for installing an update.

    > So, since my goal is to preserve the extensions I have already
    > installed, should I FIRST uninstall 2.0.0.16, or will that extinguish
    > forever my existing extensions loading in the update?

    TB needs to different folders to operate
    1. Thunderbird Program folder : It will contain all file and folders
    that is needed to run the application. It is totally application related
    folder. It _doesn't_ contain an user data like Mail , preferences ,
    Windows settings, password , Add-ons ( Theme + Extensions ) etc.

    2. Thunderbird Profile folder : It contains all user specific data like
    mail , password, account settings , Windows customization, Add-ons (
    Theme + Extensions ) etc.

    Any kind of update means update of application specific data. That's why
    when TB is going to install new update, only folder that will be
    modified is Program folder, _not_ the profile folder.

    but some of your extensions and other add-ons might not work . . . " -
    Whenever an add-on is developed, developer always puts a version range
    within which that Add-ons will remain compatible with TB. Suppose you
    have an extension that is compatible within TB ver. 2.0.0.0 to TB ver.
    2.0.0.7 . Now when you update your TB to ver. 2.0.0.8 that extension
    will automatically be disabled as it is no more compatible with current
    TB version.

    Two more things to note :

    1. Above mentioned compatibility range only guarantees that extension
    will definitely work with TB within that version range. But it doesn't
    mean that it will not work with upper version of TB . It might or might
    not work . Actually when an extension is being developed, developer
    tests the extension with different versions of Thunderbird and set a
    compatibility range accordingly. New version that user is going to
    install may not be available at the time when the extension was being
    developed and tested. As there is always a chance that the code, based
    on which the extension was developed, might have been changed in the new
    version of Thunderbird so TB will disable that extension . Although
    there are some ways to enable that extension .

    2. When you install any extension through Tools > Add-ons windows it
    install extension in profile folder. But if you install an extension
    using this method [1] it will be installed in program folder. In that
    case only you should take a back up of extension folder from program folder.

    [1] "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Installing_extensions#Global_installation"

+ Reply to Thread