Customize the instant web site id icon? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Customize the instant web site id icon? - Mozilla ; Hi folks, Just installed FF3, and can't find any info about this. That instant web site id icon is HUGE, and takes up half my location bar when i'm connected via https. Is there any way to control the behavior ...

  1. Customize the instant web site id icon?

    Hi folks,

    Just installed FF3, and can't find any info about this. That instant
    web site id icon is HUGE, and takes up half my location bar when i'm
    connected via https. Is there any way to control the behavior of that
    monster? any way to keep it from ballooning out like that? It would
    be great if it could just turn a color, and then a click would bring
    more information if needed. Anyway, any hints are very welcome.
    Thanks a ton.

    allie

  2. Re: Customize the instant web site id icon?

    Allie Shenkin wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Just installed FF3, and can't find any info about this. That instant
    > web site id icon is HUGE, and takes up half my location bar when i'm
    > connected via https. Is there any way to control the behavior of that
    > monster? any way to keep it from ballooning out like that? It would
    > be great if it could just turn a color, and then a click would bring
    > more information if needed. Anyway, any hints are very welcome.
    > Thanks a ton.
    >
    > allie

    ??Instant Web site icon?

  3. Re: Customize the instant web site id icon?

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 16:31:19 -0400
    "Moz Champion (Dan)" wrote:

    > Allie Shenkin wrote:
    >
    > > Just installed FF3, and can't find any info about this. That
    > > instant web site id icon is HUGE, and takes up half my location bar
    > > when i'm connected via https. Is there any way to control the
    > > behavior of that monster? any way to keep it from ballooning out
    > > like that? It would be great if it could just turn a color, and
    > > then a click would bring more information if needed. Anyway, any
    > > hints are very welcome. Thanks a ton.

    > ??Instant Web site icon?

    Allie probably means the site id text, since the icon doesn't change
    size.

    In userChrome.css or using the Stylish extension:

    @namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gat....is.only.xul);
    #identity-icon-label { display : none !important }

  4. Re: Customize the instant web site id icon?

    "Moz Champion (Dan)" wrote in message news:qe2dnVjSRLCC93PVnZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Allie Shenkin wrote:
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> Just installed FF3, and can't find any info about this. That instant
    >> web site id icon is HUGE, and takes up half my location bar when i'm
    >> connected via https. Is there any way to control the behavior of that
    >> monster? any way to keep it from ballooning out like that? It would
    >> be great if it could just turn a color, and then a click would bring
    >> more information if needed. Anyway, any hints are very welcome.
    >> Thanks a ton.

    Hi Allie,
    You may be clicking on the icon at the left of the location bar to
    select all characters in the location bar. You can do the same
    selection with Ctrl+L which puts you at the location bar, or by
    double-clicking on the location bar. Similar for the search bar.
    While there, if you type something into the location bar or search
    bar and want it to open in another Tab (depending on your tools, options)
    you can use Alt+Enter instead of Enter.

    Rather than trying to eliminate new Firefox features, it might help to know what it is about,
    here is a video by Mike Beltzner and a wiki webpage.
    http://digg.com/software/What_s_new_..._out_this_demo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_bar

    You might find my latest webpage useful as well
    Firefox 3 Introduction (Presentation Outline)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef.../fx3_intro.htm
    --
    HTH,

  5. Re: Customize the instant web site id icon?

    On Oct 9, 6:16*pm, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "Moz Champion (Dan)" wrote in messagenews:qe2dnVjSRLCC93PVnZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@mozil la.org...
    >
    > > Allie Shenkin wrote:
    > >> Hi folks,

    > >> Just installed FF3, and can't find any info about this. *That instant
    > >> web site id icon is HUGE, and takes up half my location bar when i'm
    > >> connected via https. *Is there any way to control the behavior of that
    > >> monster? *any way to keep it from ballooning out like that? *It would
    > >> be great if it could just turn a color, and then a click would bring
    > >> more information if needed. *Anyway, any hints are very welcome.
    > >> Thanks a ton.

    > Hi Allie,
    > You may be clicking on the icon at the left of the location bar to
    > select all characters in the location bar. * You can do the same
    > selection with Ctrl+L which puts you at the location bar, *or by
    > double-clicking on the location bar. * *Similar for the search bar.
    > While there, if you type something into the location bar or search
    > bar and want it to open in another Tab (depending on your tools, options)
    > you can use *Alt+Enter *instead of Enter.
    >
    > Rather than trying to eliminate new Firefox features, it might help to know what it is about, *
    > here is a video by Mike Beltzner and a wiki webpage.
    > *http://digg.com/software/What_s_new_..._out_this_demo
    > *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_bar
    >
    > You might find my latest webpage useful as well
    > * * Firefox 3 Introduction (Presentation Outline)
    > * *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef.../fx3_intro.htm
    > --
    > HTH,
    > David McRitchie, * extensions I use are briefly documented on my site
    > Firefox Custom: *http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    Hi Folks,

    Thanks for your replies.

    @Q: You da man (or girl). That did it. Thanks.

    @David: Thanks for the info. Not sure exactly what you mean by
    "clicking to select all characters". If i want to select all the
    character in the location bar i usually just click there. I use ctrl-
    T for new tabs, or the right-click up-drag mouse gesture to open links
    in new tabs. I find the size of the "hey, dude, you're connected to a
    secure site and here is who is securing it" icon to be incredibly
    annoying. Doesn't everyone else?? I'd rather have more room to see
    the URL. A green icon is enough to tell me that I'm connected to a
    secure site. I can click on the link if I want more info. I consider
    myself a savvy user - I'm not going around clicking on the "hey, re-
    enter your Wachovia bank information please" emails, so I don't think
    I need all that security info shoved in my face. Maybe others feel
    differently, or the mozilla team has judged (perhaps correctly) that
    their security would be better off this way if they don't know enough
    to ask how to change the behavior.

  6. Re: Customize the instant web site id icon?

    "Allie Shenkin"
    > @David: Thanks for the info. Not sure exactly what you mean by
    > "clicking to select all characters". If i want to select all the
    > character in the location bar i usually just click there. I use ctrl-
    > T for new tabs, or the right-click up-drag mouse gesture to open links
    > in new tabs. I find the size of the "hey, dude, you're connected to a
    > secure site and here is who is securing it" icon to be incredibly
    > annoying. Doesn't everyone else??

    If you were going to paste into the location bar, moving the
    cursor would take longer and more cursor movement than
    Ctrl+L, then paste.

    When you said big I icon thought you were referring to clicking on
    the security portion, then was thinking last night that if my
    location bar were smaller the elongated icon would be more annoying
    and that is actually what you were referring to.

    I guess I put up with the wasted space because my location bar
    is very wide, and I usually know where I'm going. But if I narrow
    the window down then I do notice that not only might you not see
    the entire content but mousing over does not show you the content
    either. I have my Search Bar up with the menus, so the Location
    bar is fairly long.

    I thought I was seeing a difference between, sometimes
    I get a long security icon and sometimes just the short addons icon,
    looking at two different profiles and two different extensions,
    but no consistency they seem to change.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/4287

    All I can find is that the long one is called "Extended Validation Certificate"
    but I can't find anything to control it, or why I see on or the other for the
    same url.

    A casual looking over these two wikis looks like it is going to be rather consistently
    applied across all browsers. (IE7 uses righthand side)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_bar
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende...on_Certificate
    Don't see anything in my version of Safari, and Opera colors just the https:

  7. Re: Customize the instant web site id icon?

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:58:55 -0400
    "David McRitchie" wrote:

    > I thought I was seeing a difference between, sometimes
    > I get a long security icon and sometimes just the short addons icon,
    > looking at two different profiles and two different extensions,
    > but no consistency they seem to change.
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/4287
    >
    > All I can find is that the long one is called "Extended Validation
    > Certificate" but I can't find anything to control it, or why I see on
    > or the other for the same url.

    AMO doesn't have an EV cert as far as I can tell, so I can't imagine
    why you see a long site id sometimes there. What does it say if you
    click on it?

    Do you always see the EV cert indication at ?

    > Don't see anything in my version of Safari, and Opera colors just
    > the https:

    My untweaked Opera 9.60 puts that info at the right of the location
    bar. It's colored yellow for a normal cert and green for an EV cert.

    I think Fx's indicator is better, since it's more noticeable. I'm also
    glad Fx quit using yellow, since for a lot of people yellow is a
    warning/caution color.

  8. Re: Customize the instant web site id icon?

    "Q" >
    > David wrote
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4287
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/4287
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/425

    > AMO doesn't have an EV cert as far as I can tell, so I can't imagine
    > why you see a long site id sometimes there. What does it say if you
    > click on it?
    >
    > Do you always see the EV cert indication at ?
    > My untweaked Opera 9.60 puts that info at the right of the location
    > bar. It's colored yellow for a normal cert and green for an EV cert.

    For PayPal yes, it see the EV Cert everytime

    Now I don't see the EV Certificate, had to try a few times but it
    says "Mozilla Corporation (US)". I looked at that very same one
    while I had it showing the EV in Opera
    and it had no coloring the "?" at the right indicated "Site not secure"
    Maybe certificates have to be imported in Opera, mine is untouched.
    Now that I got the images showing, retested Opera and I got the yellow
    highlighting at the right -- go figure. Must have different servers involved.

+ Reply to Thread