Thunderbird and Seamonkey refuse to send email. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird and Seamonkey refuse to send email. - Mozilla ; Hi People, I've been using Thunderbird for some months. As far as I am aware I haven't changed any settings, but suddenly when I try to send mail I get a message saying "connecting to smtp server failed. The server ...

  1. Thunderbird and Seamonkey refuse to send email.

    Hi People,

    I've been using Thunderbird for some months. As far as I am aware I
    haven't changed any settings, but suddenly when I try to send mail I get a
    message saying "connecting to smtp server failed. The server may be
    unavailable or is refusing smtp connections"

    I can receive messages as normal.

    As an emergency measure I've downloaded and installed Opera, and this
    sends email without any problem, I'm using it to send this one, but the
    interface is horrible.

    I've just downloaded Seamonkey, and it is behaving just like Thunderbird,
    with a similar error message.

    Help!!!

    Bernie

    --
    Using Opera's horrible e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

  2. Re: Thunderbird and Seamonkey refuse to send email.

    On 10/9/2008 11:06 AM, onlyhuman wrote:
    > Hi People,
    >
    > I've been using Thunderbird for some months. As far as I am aware I
    > haven't changed any settings, but suddenly when I try to send mail I get
    > a message saying "connecting to smtp server failed. The server may be
    > unavailable or is refusing smtp connections"
    >
    > I can receive messages as normal.
    >
    > As an emergency measure I've downloaded and installed Opera, and this
    > sends email without any problem, I'm using it to send this one, but the
    > interface is horrible.
    >
    > I've just downloaded Seamonkey, and it is behaving just like
    > Thunderbird, with a similar error message.
    >
    > Help!!!
    >
    > Bernie

    Who provides your email service?

    --
    Irwin

  3. Re: Thunderbird and Seamonkey refuse to send email.

    Hi Irwin,

    That was it! Thank you very much indeed! This isn't the first time I
    have had difficulties with software because of not scrolling to the
    bottom of a menu.

    I still don't understand how this setting was changed, but everything is
    working ok now.

    I may come back with some more queries about TBird eventually, but for
    now I need to lie down in a darkened room to recover for a week or so.

    Bernie

  4. Re: Thunderbird and Seamonkey refuse to send email.

    On 11/10/2008 13:29, Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 11.10.2008 06:07, onlyhuman wrote:

    Here are quotes:

    On 11/10/2008 02:32, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > On 10/10/2008 1:10 AM, onlyhuman wrote:
    >>
    >>> ools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (bottom of Accounts screen).
    >>>
    >>> Make sure the settings are the same as on the working machine.

    >> Hi Irwin,
    >>
    >> I can't change what is in the box, it says "default setting" and shows
    >> a different setting to what is on the working machine. There's a
    >> drop-down menu, but only that setting is in it, and no way to change it.
    >>
    >> Bernie

    > when you do Tools>>Account settings, scroll down to the bottom of the
    > _Accounts_ pane. The outgoing Server entry allows you to Edit the SMTP
    > settings.

  5. Re: Thunderbird and Seamonkey refuse to send email.

    > What was "it"? Please quote at least some relevant text from previous
    > messages, thanks.

    You can read the thread if you're interested Jay.

  6. Re: Thunderbird and Seamonkey refuse to send email.

    On 10/11/2008 4:29 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 11.10.2008 06:07, onlyhuman wrote:

    The OP posted his question twice. On my system, subsequent postings
    seemed to randomly choose which thread to use. My second reply is in
    the other thread on my machine. I didn't think TB would do things like
    that?

    --
    Irwin

  7. Re: Thunderbird and Seamonkey refuse to send email.