Plugin firefox 3.0 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Plugin firefox 3.0 - Mozilla ; Hi all, maybe i can ask here, because i couldn't find any group for developing plugin on firefox. I have a plugin that worked with firefox 2.* and I have to make it work even on firefox 3.* . So, ...

  1. Plugin firefox 3.0

    Hi all,
    maybe i can ask here, because i couldn't find any group for
    developing plugin on firefox. I have a plugin that worked with firefox
    2.* and I have to make it work even on firefox 3.* . So, can anyone
    tell me (or suggest where could I search) the difference between
    extensions and plugins on firefox (I found how to packet and sign an
    extension but nothing about plugins), and the structure I have to use
    to packet my plugin, on firefox 3.0? Sorry i'm newbie .

    Thank you all,

    obrussus

  2. Re: Plugin firefox 3.0

    Hi obrussus,
    I also am a newbie, so let's talk from newbie to newbie
    First thing: on which platfom are you working? Win? Unix? Mac?
    Then, here's THE link for adding plugins to FF
    http://developer.mozilla.org/En/Geck..._API_Reference
    and the page where is explained how to add plugins as extensions
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Ship...s_an_extension
    If you got more questions, feel free to mail me.
    Mac

    obrus...@gmail.com a écrit :
    > Hi all,
    > maybe i can ask here, because i couldn't find any group for
    > developing plugin on firefox. I have a plugin that worked with firefox
    > 2.* and I have to make it work even on firefox 3.* . So, can anyone
    > tell me (or suggest where could I search) the difference between
    > extensions and plugins on firefox (I found how to packet and sign an
    > extension but nothing about plugins), and the structure I have to use
    > to packet my plugin, on firefox 3.0? Sorry i'm newbie .
    >
    > Thank you all,
    >
    > obrussus

  3. Re: Plugin firefox 3.0

    On 10 Ott, 12:17, Mac wrote:
    > Hi obrussus,
    > I also am a newbie, so let's talk from newbie to newbie
    > First thing: on which platfom are you working? Win? Unix? Mac?
    > Then, here's THE link for adding plugins to FFhttp://developer.mozilla.org/En/Gecko_Plugin_API_Reference
    > and the page where is explained how to add plugins as extensionshttp://developer.mozilla.org/en/Shipping_a_plugin_as_an_extension
    > If you got more questions, feel free to mail me.
    > Mac
    >
    > obrus...@gmail.com a écrit :
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > > maybe i can ask here, because i couldn't *find any group for
    > > developing plugin on firefox. I have a plugin that worked with firefox
    > > 2.* and I have to make it work even on firefox 3.* . So, can anyone
    > > tell me (or suggest where could I search) the difference between
    > > extensions and plugins on firefox (I found how to packet and sign an
    > > extension but nothing about plugins), and the structure I have to use
    > > to packet my plugin, on firefox 3.0? Sorry i'm newbie .

    > > Thank you all,

    > > obrussus

    Hi Mac, many thanks for your response.
    I'm working on Win. I'm already reading links you have written, but
    what I couldn't understand is: the bundle structure is the same in
    both firefox 1.5 and firefox 3.0? And, when i add plugins as
    extensions, users will install an extensions or a plugin?

    Obrussus

  4. Re: Plugin firefox 3.0

    On 10 Ott, 12:17, Mac wrote:
    > Hi obrussus,
    > I also am a newbie, so let's talk from newbie to newbie
    > First thing: on which platfom are you working? Win? Unix? Mac?
    > Then, here's THE link for adding plugins to FFhttp://developer.mozilla.org/En/Gecko_Plugin_API_Reference
    > and the page where is explained how to add plugins as extensionshttp://developer.mozilla.org/en/Shipping_a_plugin_as_an_extension
    > If you got more questions, feel free to mail me.
    > Mac
    >
    > obrus...@gmail.com a écrit :
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > > maybe i can ask here, because i couldn't *find any group for
    > > developing plugin on firefox. I have a plugin that worked with firefox
    > > 2.* and I have to make it work even on firefox 3.* . So, can anyone
    > > tell me (or suggest where could I search) the difference between
    > > extensions and plugins on firefox (I found how to packet and sign an
    > > extension but nothing about plugins), and the structure I have to use
    > > to packet my plugin, on firefox 3.0? Sorry i'm newbie .

    > > Thank you all,

    > > obrussus

    Hi Mac, many thanks for your response.
    I'm working on Win. I'm reading links you have written, but what I
    couldn't understand is: the bundle structure is the same in both
    firefox 1.5 and firefox 3.0?

    Obrussus

  5. Re: Plugin firefox 3.0

    > I'm working on Win. I'm reading links you have written, but what I
    > couldn't understand is: the bundle structure is the same in both
    > firefox 1.5 and firefox 3.0?

    I suppose so. You say your plugin used to work on FF1.5, so my guess
    is : put your plugin.dll in the plugin directory of the future xpi
    package, the thing to make this work on FF3 is only to write correctly
    the install.rdf ( 3.* ). Try that , and
    tell me if it doesn't work.
    PS.: by using an xpi package, your plugin isn't shown anymore as a
    plugin, but as an extension in the Add-ons panel

    Mac

  6. Re: Plugin firefox 3.0

    On 10 Ott, 14:05, Mac wrote:
    > > I'm working on Win. I'm reading links you have written, but what I
    > > couldn't understand is: the bundle structure is the same in both
    > > firefox 1.5 and firefox 3.0?

    > I suppose so. You say your plugin used to work on FF1.5, so my guess
    > is : put your plugin.dll in the plugin directory of the future xpi
    > package, the thing to make this work on FF3 is only to write correctly
    > the install.rdf ( 3.* ). Try that , and
    > tell me if it doesn't work.
    > PS.: by using an xpi package, your plugin isn't shown anymore as a
    > plugin, but as an extension in the Add-ons panel
    >
    > Mac

    Yes it works thank you very much!!

    Obrussus

+ Reply to Thread