Changing ISP - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Changing ISP - Mozilla ; I will be moving and changing my ISP in 2 weeks. It seems to me that the easiest way to reflect the necessary email settings is to simply edit my account settings (Username, Password, POP, SMTP, etc.). Doing so will ...

  1. Changing ISP

    I will be moving and changing my ISP in 2 weeks. It seems to me that the
    easiest way to reflect the necessary email settings is to simply edit my
    account settings (Username, Password, POP, SMTP, etc.). Doing so will
    retain all my current folders and sorted emails. I do realize that I
    will need to edit some of my filters. Should I anticipate any problem(s)
    doing this, or would I be better to just set up a new email account in
    T'bird.

  2. Re: Changing ISP

    Zack Sten wrote:
    > I will be moving and changing my ISP in 2 weeks. It seems to me that the
    > easiest way to reflect the necessary email settings is to simply edit my
    > account settings (Username, Password, POP, SMTP, etc.). Doing so will
    > retain all my current folders and sorted emails. I do realize that I
    > will need to edit some of my filters. Should I anticipate any problem(s)
    > doing this, or would I be better to just set up a new email account in
    > T'bird.

    I think a simple editing should suffice.
    Don't forget the 'reply to' name/email

  3. Re: Changing ISP

    Zack Sten wrote:
    > I will be moving and changing my ISP in 2 weeks. It seems to me that
    > the easiest way to reflect the necessary email settings is to simply
    > edit my account settings (Username, Password, POP, SMTP, etc.). Doing
    > so will retain all my current folders and sorted emails. I do realize
    > that I will need to edit some of my filters. Should I anticipate any
    > problem(s) doing this, or would I be better to just set up a new
    > email account in T'bird.

    When I did it editing the account settings was not enough. Can't remember
    the exact details, but I think there were items in prefs.js, or possibly
    other files, that remained after changing the account settings that gummed
    it up.

  4. Re: Changing ISP

    Zack Sten wrote:
    > I will be moving and changing my ISP in 2 weeks. It seems to me that
    > the easiest way to reflect the necessary email settings is to simply
    > edit my account settings (Username, Password, POP, SMTP, etc.). Doing
    > so will retain all my current folders and sorted emails. I do realize
    > that I will need to edit some of my filters. Should I anticipate any
    > problem(s) doing this, or would I be better to just set up a new
    > email account in T'bird.

    When I did it, editing the account settings was not enough. As I recall,
    there were settings from the old account in prefs.js, or possibly some other
    file, that didn't get changed and gummed up the works.

  5. Re: Changing ISP

    Zack Sten wrote:
    > I will be moving and changing my ISP in 2 weeks. It seems to me that the
    > easiest way to reflect the necessary email settings is to simply edit my
    > account settings (Username, Password, POP, SMTP, etc.). Doing so will
    > retain all my current folders and sorted emails. I do realize that I
    > will need to edit some of my filters. Should I anticipate any problem(s)
    > doing this, or would I be better to just set up a new email account in
    > T'bird.

    I just did it on my folks Mac. Switched from rr to verizon.
    (once you've reconfigured your modem/router/firewall...) Simply a matter
    of changing the POP and SMTP, username and pw. (and the afore mentioned
    return addresses)
    Rename the account(s) if desired and go.
    Verizon threw us a curve in that the SMTP has to be specific to each
    user. Other than that, it was a no brainer.

  6. Re: Changing ISP

    On 10/9/08 9:59 AM, _Zack Sten_ spoke thusly:
    > I will be moving and changing my ISP in 2 weeks. It seems to me that the
    > easiest way to reflect the necessary email settings is to simply edit my
    > account settings (Username, Password, POP, SMTP, etc.). Doing so will
    > retain all my current folders and sorted emails. I do realize that I
    > will need to edit some of my filters. Should I anticipate any problem(s)
    > doing this, or would I be better to just set up a new email account in
    > T'bird.

    Best thing to do is create a new account in Thunderbird for your new ISP
    account, then move data from the old account to the new one. This way,
    you can continue checking email on your old account, just in case you
    miss any messages. Messages and folders can be moved via drag and drop.

    --
    Chris Ilias

  7. Re: Changing ISP

    On 10/9/2008 7:35 AM, Roger Fink wrote:
    > Zack Sten wrote:
    >> I will be moving and changing my ISP in 2 weeks. It seems to me that
    >> the easiest way to reflect the necessary email settings is to simply
    >> edit my account settings (Username, Password, POP, SMTP, etc.). Doing
    >> so will retain all my current folders and sorted emails. I do realize
    >> that I will need to edit some of my filters. Should I anticipate any
    >> problem(s) doing this, or would I be better to just set up a new
    >> email account in T'bird.

    > When I did it editing the account settings was not enough. Can't remember
    > the exact details, but I think there were items in prefs.js, or possibly
    > other files, that remained after changing the account settings that gummed
    > it up.

    I had the same experience. I think the problem was in the email
    address, but am not sure.
    --
    Irwin